Smallish binge.

Options
So I had a smallish binge today. Definately eating way more than I should , but not completely letting everything go and eat 3 jars of peanut butter. I am not going to count this as a binge, just like an"Oops that was bad but I'll just go on".
Is this a good idea? What do you do after your mini binges? ( not that mine was a mini lol )

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If I am over my calories for the day I try to stop eating, and start over in the morning. <still haven't tossed the Halloween candy. really should though. Well it is almost gone anyway>
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    cut down the next day or exercise
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • Paindoesnthurt
    Paindoesnthurt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not but overeating for a small period is actually beneficial if you are lean and have been stuck with weight loss for awhile. when I say weight loss I mean to say fat loss. Binging is not something you'd do every day, and not even every week for that matter, it is a tool, and it is something that you use sparringly.

Leptin is a hormone in our body that signals if we are in a fammine or not. When we lose weight ongoing, eventually, to the lean stages, you'll stall. When this happens you need to either eat over maintainence for a little while (2 weeks is good enough) or over eat for one day in the week to tell your body you aren't in a fammine, and then you resume your fat loss diet.

This is just the simplified version of it of course. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it because I like to be healthy and don't want to put anything bad in my mouth but if you want to enjoy life once in awhile then this will be a good tool to use! If you want, PM me if you're confused with the whole ordeal.

Biggest take home message is this: you have to EARN those binges. You have to be lean already and have been "dieting" for a long period
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Use it to push a bit harder in my workout, which balances it out somewhat.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Log it & move on.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm angry at myself for 2 mins then get over it! Tomorrow is another day :)
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Define "a bit".

General rule, 3500 cals/#.

(that said, 3500 cals of protein and 3500 cals of corn syrup are not identical).

If you were over by 200 or 300 calories? Big whoop.

1/10th or less of a lb.

Do it for a day, no big deal.

Do it for a week.. starting to be an issue..

do it for a month? Now it's a problem.

Log it, move on, figure out how to alleviate the problem next time, before it becomes a binge issue.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with the 'log it and move on' posts.

Important IMO to still log it as helps you be accountable - also helps you see any patterns and deal with recurring temptations- eg you might need to remove all cookies from the house or take your lunch to work or whatever is a recurring binge issue for you.

I think it is important to realise your calorie allowance is only a guide too and it is ok to go over sometimes - as long as it isn't too often or by too much.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Don't sweat it; we've all done that on occasion. In a few hours, this day will be history. Start fresh again tomorrow.
  • Valerie2138
    Valerie2138 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to learn from it and do better the next day. We're human and things like that happen from time to time (life). Better not to let it get your spirits or motivation down, and call it a day and do better the next day.
  • pianistpotter
    Options
    "Smallish binge" just went baaaaad.