Am I destined to have cellulite?

Options
I admit to being pretty lazy exercise-wise. There is no excuse, really. Is there anything I can do to target cellulite? I am not overweight. Technically, underweight. I guess I could be defined as "skinny fat" due to lack of muscle. I have cellulite on my behind and the very top of my back tights. Not noticeable with shorts, but definitely in a bikini-cut swimsuit. Is this a sign that I need to lose more weight? Or do I just need to accept my genetics. Will exercise help with this?

Replies

• alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Want to hear some opinions too. I have lots of cellulite in he butt, back arms near armpit, back thighs and back calves.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Exercise, especially strength training, will help reduce the appearance, but cellulite has a genetic component as well. I love to exercise and strength train. I'm about 20% BF, but I still have some cellulite. Thanks, Mom!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've got it, too, but it has gotten less noticeable as I have been lifting weights. That would be my recommendation. Good luck!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Exercise, especially strength training, will help reduce the appearance, but cellulite has a genetic component as well. I love to exercise and strength train. I'm about 20% BF, but I still have some cellulite. Thanks, Mom!

LIFT!!!

Stronglifts 5x5 is a free novice strength program that will give you nice lady shapes in the important areas and stuff.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am a bodybuilder and even at competition leanness I still have it. Not quite as visible, but it is still there.

ETA: Lifting will help firm the muscles and when your body fat gets lower it is less visible.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I agree. I weight train 4-5 days a week plus zumba, stair stepper, running, etc. I don't know my current body fat % but you can see how I look in my profile pic, and I still have cellulite. Hoping I can eventually get it to go away. But for you, I'd start lifting weights.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Thirding (edit: sixthing?) the weightlifting recommendation. I know a ton of people who insist that their cellulite improved from building muscle. I have no reason to not listen to them, and even if it's not entirely true, building muscle will improve your appearance regardless so it'll detract from the look of your cellulite at the very least.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Thirding (edit: sixthing?) the weightlifting recommendation. I know a ton of people who insist that their cellulite improved from building muscle. I have no reason to not listen to them, and even if it's not entirely true, building muscle will improve your appearance regardless so it'll detract from the look of your cellulite at the very least.

This. But cellulite is genetic, and everyone has it. The more fit you are and the more muscle work you do, the better you will look and the less noticeable the cellulite will be.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Strength training made a huge difference for me. I looked a lot better at the same weight once I began strength training. I've always had cellulite, and it was surprising to see an actual improvement.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thank you. your responses have been encouraging and motivating! time to put that gym membership to good use.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Strength training made all the difference for me. I lowered my body fat percentage with a combination of strength training and cardio. I know my thighs used to have some cellulite and now it is all but gone. I had heard you couldn't change it but I know I did!
  • tspugh
    tspugh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you give me hope that I can get rid of some :)
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had really bad cellulite however I was weighing 190 lbs, about 80% all over my stomach, thighs, hips & butt, but I was able to minimize to 2%. All through dieting and lifting heavy. I noticed when I eat more simply carbs my celluite starts to appear, when I eat more complex carbs when tightening up my diet and drinking tons of water, It's completely gone.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    So, afaik, cellulite is caused by a network of collagen which lies over subcutaneous fat and causes a sort of 'orange peel' appearance as that which isn't 'held down' by the collagen is able to push through the gaps. The only real way to deal with it is to lower your body fat percentage as less fat = less 'popping through' the collagen holes! I have heard some results with caffeine creams but I honestly don't know if they truly work or if so, how.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lifting can help but it's unlikely to completely eliminate it. I still have it at just under 20% body fat.