foods to avoid before bed?

Options
i had some chinese food before i went to bed a couple days ago, my sleep was HORRIBLE, and i pretty much was an epic fail at work.

two other foods i learned painfull to avoid (maybe i should not eat anything ever) is pizza, and chicken, not eat those before bed ever...and of course, date food i make, otherwise i'll eat food gone bad like i did a couple weeks ago.

anyone want to add to my list of foods to not eat before bed?

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    No. I eat what I want, when I want. IIFYM.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I can eat any thing at any time and it just doesn't bother me. Usually the only time I eat pizza is right before bed.
    I know my relatives used to say that cheese before bed causes nightmares:)
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Anything that is greasy and/or fried. Hamburgers and McDonalds fries are terrible for you before bed.

My favorite bedtime snack is popcorn. It's never hindered with my sleep, and it's light on my tummy.

~
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ice cream before bed is one I avoid. I find I have quite an upset stomach an hour or so after eating it if I am laying down :(
  • Transformer711
    Options
    Anything greasy/heavy leaves me feeling terribly bloated the next morning. Even though that whole 'eating late will cause weight gain' is a myth, I still believe that having your last meal a few hours before you sleep helps a ton. Eating late can also sets me up for a binge. Because I'm full when I wake up, I don't eat breakfast, so I pig out at lunch, etc....

That being said, foods I would avoid are chips, TAKEAWAYS, high sodium foods. Those finger foods which you can eat mindlessly such as chocolates should be avoided, too.

Buuutt I seriously envy those people who can eat what they want before bed and not feel the effects the next morning!
  • jorralee
    jorralee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not food but if I have some some strong coffee before bed I cannot fall asleep at all.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    Ice cream before bed is one I avoid. I find I have quite an upset stomach an hour or so after eating it if I am laying down :(
    this doesn't surprise me for some reason...because of the pizza thing.

anyone know about the chinese food? is it the MSG?

should i just stick to milk and cookies?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have trouble processing honey. If I have too much honey, and then lay down shortly afterward, I'll be in pain. Heartburn, I guess it is.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    i had some chinese food before i went to bed a couple days ago, my sleep was HORRIBLE, and i pretty much was an epic fail at work.

two other foods i learned painfull to avoid (maybe i should not eat anything ever) is pizza, and chicken, not eat those before bed ever...and of course, date food i make, otherwise i'll eat food gone bad like i did a couple weeks ago.

anyone want to add to my list of foods to not eat before bed?

I don't think one can compile a general list for foods not to eat before bed, because I am sure that many people do just fine with the foods that don't work for you. I know that I sleep just fine after eating Chinese food and all kinds of other stuff and have no consequences the next day.
    I don't eat bananas at night, because they give me heart burn when I lay down and I avoid coffee after 5 pm, because I am of an age when coffee ( at least the way I drink it; strong and black ) keeps me awake. I would however not assume that the same is true for others.
  • For me it's tea, fruits after 6pm. I hate waking up full.
  • foremate
    Options
    tomato sauces, milk, indigestion terrible.
  • RedneckChicana
    Options
    You should not eat anything right before bed. Stop eating 3 hours before. That way your body while you sleep goes into "starvation" mode and begins to feed off the already stored fat and calories you have. But if you absolutely cannot give up eating try warm milk with honey and a banana, The banana the milk have tryptophan in them. Here are some other foods to help you sleep better. http://www.sharecare.com/health/sleep-disorders/article/top-10-foods-for-a-good-nights-sleep
    Remember everything in moderation. Do not eat a big meal before bed. Eat to take off the edge not until you are "full".
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You should not eat anything right before bed. Stop eating 3 hours before. That way your body while you sleep goes into "starvation" mode and begins to feed off the already stored fat and calories you have. But if you absolutely cannot give up eating try warm milk with honey and a banana, The banana the milk have tryptophan in them. Here are some other foods to help you sleep better. http://www.sharecare.com/health/sleep-disorders/article/top-10-foods-for-a-good-nights-sleep
    Remember everything in moderation. Do not eat a big meal before bed. Eat to take off the edge not until you are "full".

Hmm No. Starvation mode over night??? Really?

I eat my biggest meal at night, followed by ice cream usually which I eat in bed and typically I'm asleep shortly after.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Since I've been dieting very carefully during the last months I've found it painful to eat unusually big meals before going to bed. For example, I had a pizza for dinner, with fries and dessert, it was my first cheat day in a long time, and I felt bad all night long. The same has happened throughout most of my Christmas vacations with other foods. :/
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options

Oh so very wrong. Please don't keep spreading this myth.

At least, according to science.

You don't know what starvation mode really is.
  • ambyrcat
    Options
    All food. :laugh: No seriously, I have horrible GERD and eating anything anywhere near bedtime is just a very very bad thing for me. Plus side, once I've had dinner I'm through for the day!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately, I have to agree with the others about that "starvation mode" while you sleep. That's just not true.

I avoid high carb foods right before bedtime because the body can only produce EITHER insulin OR human growth hormone. They go hand in hand, each with the opposite purpose. And since the majority of HGH is produced during sleep, particularly that first hour of deep sleep, an insulin-producing meal will hinder that. Naturally produced HGH aids in strength building, weight loss and slows the aging process.