Is my diet ruined

Options
I've been dieting for 2 weeks now and I've lost 8lbs. I've been eating 3 healthy meals a day no fizzy drinks. Today I'm after eating a large pizza and a large chips with a coke. Will I gain much weight tomorrow :( have I ruined my last 2 weeks

Replies

• LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have been 'dieting' for 2 weeks and have also lost 8lbs. AND I'm having a bad food night. Burger and chips. I felt bad about it but I know that if I constantly deprive myself of things that I enjoy then I will never get to where I want to be. One night won't ruin it all. Enjoy your food and carry on tomorrow :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 2 weeks now and I've lost 8lbs. I've been eating 3 healthy meals a day no fizzy drinks. Today I'm after eating a large pizza and a large chips with a coke. Will I gain much weight tomorrow :( have I ruined my last 2 weeks

Depends on if you ate enough to discount your deficit.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    No, your diet isn't ruined. LOL.

In fact, many diets encourage "Cheat days' for just that reason.

They say it's what, 3500 calories to the pound of fat? (pure fat, that is, which you don't actually have).

I doubt you ate 3500 calories in one sitting, which would, in theory, be required to put one one lb (or slow the loss of the fat you are already losing, which is a more realistic way to look at it).

Faithfully record what you ate, and keep on keepin on.

What "blows" a diet is failing to get back on the horse. Slow and steady wins the race, and all that.
  • Amconley
    Amconley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No! It was just one day out of 14 (or so) days! As long as you have more good days than bad, you are on the right track.

I ran across a random meme that said something along the lines of: If you had one flat tire on your car, you wouldn't go and slash the other 3 tires.

Count your calories, exercise and repeat for every day. Some days you are going to eat more than planned. That is life and it happens to all of us. You are not going to quit and go back to your old habits over one bad choice, because then, you really would have ruined your diet.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with the dieting mentality. If you've made the decision to lose weight, and are committed, how can it be ruined by one meal or one day? Even if you gain a couple of pounds you just keep going tomorrow. If it's truly a lifestyle change, it doesn't end because you eat more than you plan to one day.

As far as weight gain - remember that it takes approximately 3,500 calories to make 1 lb of fat, so to gain 1 lb of fat you'd have to eat 3,500 calories over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), which is a larger number than your daily calorie goal. Even then, remember that you have been eating at a deficit in the last few days and will be in the next few days. Chances are, you will still be at a deficit for the week even if you have gone over your TDEE by that much.

However, remember that weight fluctuates all the time, and you may see a gain on the scales because of water retention, especially if you consume more sodium than usual, or more carbs than usual. It's no reason to panic though and will come off again quickly.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    God no (and you are losing really fast) a few weeks ago I ate 2 not 1 but 2 chip shop meals which included a cheese donna meat and tomato toasted beget 2 helpings of chips, a battered cod and a whole (small) pizza. I lost a lb that week (just so you know I’m female and only 21% body fat with 12lb to go so 1lb after 6 weeks of losing nothing is REALLY good) I used to lose fast like you but it slowed down because I’m pretty skinny now. Don’t do it regularly but sometimes is okay. The day after I take your calories down by about 400/500 (so for me it is from 1200 to 800ish) and on that day during a TON of water because it will get rid of the water the salt is holding from that meal. Don’t weight yourself the next day because it will almost certainly be between 2 and 4lb more but within 2 days you should have lost that extra water weight.
    Don’t be discouraged, I’m only 18 so I go out drinking sometimes and go out for meals, I’ve still lost 32lb.

Also don’t be discouraged when the weight loss slows down (which it will) just persevere. I lost my first 14lb in 6 weeks. Then it got really slow, but muscle to burn more fat and eat clean. It will work out. I also recommend every 10-12 of dieting have a week of maintaining weight (this helps your metabolism stay quick) I don’t lose for ages until I had my brake at Christmas (I ate like a pig0 I’m now losing steadily again.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    pizza and chips are high in sodium so yes, you may gain weight, but mostly from water. Keep drinking water to wash it out of your system, get back on track, and you should be fine! :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Completely ruined; seriously, I ate like this twice this week; you shall survive.
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree . I went to a Mexican restaurant with my daughter a few weeks back. I may have stayed the same for a couple of weeks. No gain and it felt good to eat out and still enjoy the foods I love. I have took this year journey to eat what I want but trying to stay in the Calorie range. Haven't lost but 13 lbs, but also not being deprived of any foods. I look at it this way if it all averages out to 1 lb a week this is 52 lbs in a year. So far have not missed a day of logging my foods.
  • karlyy_mc
    karlyy_mc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with the dieting mentality. If you've made the decision to lose weight, and are committed, how can it be ruined by one meal or one day? Even if you gain a couple of pounds you just keep going tomorrow. If it's truly a lifestyle change, it doesn't end because you eat more than you plan to one day.

THANK YOU! I needed to read that today :-)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You need to lose the "dieting" mentality. One meal didn't make us fat, and one salad won't make us thin. It's what you do consistently, do I make 80% good choices and 20% not so good, then in the long run I'm on the right track. Give up trying to be perfect and strive for consistency.
  • tspugh
    tspugh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow one bad meal in two weeks, that is amazing and you are doing a great job. Think of where you were 2 weeks ago, it was probably 1-2 bad meals a day. Don't feel guilty about it, after all in order for all of us to make a lifestyle change we need to eat healthy and allow ourselves to have some of these off limit type of foods :) Great job on the weight loss :)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    you may gain some water weight from the sodium but it wont have ruined the past 2 weeks, one day of bad eating doesnt make you fat, relax and enjoy
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yes you'll be totally ruined. Give up now. Eat 2 pizzas, actually.

<_<
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Most likely you see an increase tomorrow because you body will need to adjust and you'll gain some water weight. Just go right back to "dieting" tomorrow and in a few days it'll even out.

Last week for instance one day I ate a big mac. The next day I gained a pound. BUT when I weighed myself a few days later (I weigh every monday and record monday's weight on MFP) I still lost 3 pounds for that week! So try not to think of it as you gained that day, weigh once a week and as long as you still lost for that week you're good!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Now you have the body of a dieter, that pizza will literally kill you.
  • Sauron16
    Options
    let's do some maths
    what you ate will be around 1500 kcal
    every pound=3500 kcal
    that means if you ate AT YOUR TDEE+the "doomful" pizza and chips..you'll gain less than 1/2 pounds..no biggie

move on!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a couple days before getting on the scale, It will not hurt your weight loss BUT, all that sodium might have you retaining water and showing a gain and that could scare you.
  • Adam_NeverGiveup
    Adam_NeverGiveup Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One bad meal or day is not a reason to give up or think what you have done to this point is wasted.

Its what you do next , tomorrow is a fresh day.

I dont like the term diet , i prefer lifestyle change . We need to make the change permanently , not just do it for a short term .

You'll survive that meal , you may even get to the point where you are eating healthy that you wont want those kind of foods anymore
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You definitely shouldn't over-indulge all the time, but one of my favorite sayings is: one bad meal will not make you fat, just like one healthy meal will not make you skinny.