Looking to lose 90 lbs

Options
Getting married this August and would like to lose as much weight as possible by then, but my main goal is to lose 90 lbs in a year or so. Was wondering is anyone could give me any tips, as this is the largest weight loss goal I've had in a long time. Currently trying to do low calorie, low carbs, and low sodium, along with moderate exercise in my spare time (i work two jobs). Any tips or help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kel8412
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! This is an exciting time for you - enjoy it!! I got married August 2012. I would love to be friends and encourage one another. Unfortunately, after my wedding I gained a lot of "happy weight" and let myself go. Now I am hopping back on the wagon to get back to the weight I was when I first met my husband.
  • Joann0815
    Options
    Hi and thank you! This is basically what happened to me...I met my fiance and let myself go a little bit. So I need to get to my healthy weight not only to appeal to my fiance, but also to appeal to myself. Would definitely love to fit in my little sisters jeans lol
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Getting married this August and would like to lose as much weight as possible by then, but my main goal is to lose 90 lbs in a year or so. Was wondering is anyone could give me any tips, as this is the largest weight loss goal I've had in a long time. Currently trying to do low calorie, low carbs, and low sodium, along with moderate exercise in my spare time (i work two jobs). Any tips or help is greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on your wedding!

I've seen plenty of people lose large amounts of weight over the course of a year and plenty like me that have taken a lot longer to lose the weight, one isn't better than the other.

I don't do low carbs but I do low sodium, my advice is to look at EVERYTHING. I knew canned goods and packaged meals were big on sodium but for some reason store bought bread never crossed my mind. There was a ton of sodium in the brand I'd been buying for years.

For cheeses I buy the lowest sodium variety that will give me the results I am looking for.

I have time so I soak dried beans and I make my own soups (I store them in portion sized containers in the freezer).

As for trying to eat "low-calorie" I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but as long as you're eating less calories than you're burning you'll lose weight. Just don't eat too few calories.

My advice would be not to buy into any kind of fad:

Don't fall for people telling you you must go on a juice fast, or that you must eat your food at a certain time or that you should go gluten free (unless that's to treat a doctor diagnosed condition). Those things (any any other number of others) won't cause you to lose more weight or to lose it faster. That's not to say things don't make a person's diet more enjoyable. Some people feel better eating less carbs or eating more food early in the morning or late at night.

And don't give up. Keep coming back here to this forum and asking people stuff and reading. Don't be afraid to change things up if something isn't working for you.

Hope this helps!
  • Joann0815
    Options

Thank you!
    For cheeses I buy the lowest sodium variety that will give me the results I am looking for.
    I was going to originally stop eating cheese all together but, I love cheese too much! I hadn't thought about looking into low sodium cheeses, so that'll help greatly. Thanks for the tip :)
  • briendM
    briendM Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I lost a great deal of weight once before, then due to health reasons I ended up gaining it back. I am now trying to lose it again. What worked for me before:
    1. Keeping a food diary EVERY DAY!
    2. Eat 3 oz of protien 3x a day.
    3. Get in my water quota.
    4. Move my butt.

So - that is what I am going to be doing this time too. :)
    Good luck with reaching your goals. I have about twice that to lose.
  • Elder0610
    Options
    Congrats:-) I just joined also and love the app. If you want you can friend me too:-). I had two kids and need to get rid of the "baby weight" from 3 years ago.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was going to originally stop eating cheese all together but, I love cheese too much! I hadn't thought about looking into low sodium cheeses, so that'll help greatly. Thanks for the tip :)

You know, it was entirely by accident that I discovered this. I bought the "wrong" kind of cheese and as I was eating my meal I was thinking, "Gosh this is salty!" Turns out it had three times the salt of what I was previously buying so with a little investigation I found different brands and types of cheese have more or less sodium. I don't think there are any that are marked low or less sodium so you'll have to do some nutritional panel reading. I'm honestly not the biggest fan of cheese but there are definitely some I really like so you're milage may vary, for all I know you might find them vile. lol
  • Elder0610
    Options
    Congrats:-) I just joined also and love the app. If you want you can friend me too:-). I had two kids and need to get rid of the "baby weight" from 3 years ago.
  • Tig_
    Tig_ Posts: 32
    Options

I am in a similar situation to you. Looking to lose around 90lbs, maybe a little more or a little less depending how I look and am also engaged. Although not getting married this year, am getting married in Spring 2015 so want to be looking awesome by then and also to feel a lot healthier and fitter. x
  • lynstans
    lynstans Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in 2012 thanks to My Fitness Pal, and I have kept it off since then. After 42 years of marriage (Yes, I'm 60 years old) there is always a "happy time" or "troubled time", but you have to keep at it. I am still trying to lose another 5 pounds. I bought a size 4 dress a few months ago and want to fit in it July 12th for a wedding - will surprise my husband. I started in a tight size 16 and should have been in a size 18. I am also fitting in my 27 year old daughters clothes (and she can wear her clothes from 8th grade) and vice-versa - kind of neat after all these years. I have a work injury and my oldest son has cancer and it was a reason to not watch my food but I caught myself within a week and went right back on my diet. At first I went "Oh well" about the high calories each day, but the scale got my conscience going.
    I have logged in almost 600 consecutive days and kept my food diary every single day. I know it isn't recommended but I also weigh myself each and every day. If I have gained a pound, I look back two days and find how much I ate. It is the best reason to cut back again. I didn't cut out any one food or food group. I cut out some of everything. If I tried to go without chocolate or something crunchy around noon every day, I would binge on some other food and regret it within hours. Once I found what I needed to eat in order not to eat every thing else in huge quantities, it became much easier. I can even go to buffets and survive in my calorie count as long as it isn't pizza (my downfall), but I can even say no to more than two slices then. I also found some cheap 1 cup containers at Wal-Mart and they help me control my portions (especially at work).
    Good luck with your weight loss - great goal! Keep everyone posted! If you want to be friends, contact me: lynstans.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options

Congrats on getting married soon! I was married in November, and I'm trying to lose weight before my husband graduates from basic training in May. My goal is to lose at least 70 lbs overall, but I know that's not going to happen by May so I'm settling for about 20. Add me if you like. :)
  • Joann0815
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm already starting to feel the motivation coming through ;)

@lynstans
    I wanted to quote you, but then realized I wanted to quote everything you had just posted. Just want to say that WOW you are freaking awesome and I hope I'm as successful as you are!
  • JeffreyJRiggs
    JeffreyJRiggs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first real post here.. I usually use the app from my cell and just try to log my stuff..

anyway....
    #1 Congrats...

I have gained weight and so has my wife since marriage... (oh that was in 1994!!!!!)

so my kids go to a MMA Class (Mixed Martial Arts), in addition they do travel soccer, street hockey... I have 2 kids and we are busy. Most of the time we try to eat healthy but even if we do I sit and watch them.

I have just signed up for MMA myself. An 8 week Lean and Mean challenge.

so from that I want to list a different approach for you to also consider...not replace your current thoughts but to add to them.

A girl in our MMA has lost 135lbs but not easily. She did this in 1 ear. She signed up for the MMA class (4 days a week), also signed up for the fit-x class, the Lean and Mean challenge AND she runs before she does these....
    she is very active and changed her eating habits so I would like you to remember that massive exercise and how you eat makes a big difference.

I myself am doing the Lean and Mean challenge. I started out at 199.6lbs and in 3 weeks am down to 188. I was hoping for a bigger weight loss as I have pretty much quit drinking (drank a lot during the week), no ice cream, starting to drink spinach, celery and a few others added drinks.....
    Good luck and it can be done but remember to change what you have done to get here you need to see what is wrong and change that first!!!!!

Good Luck....