Anyone Look Back At What They Eat In Shock

Options

Replies

• Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I remember a time in my life where all my favorite delivery places knew my name, address, and usual order by heart. I didn't even have to talk, they'd just see my number on the caller ID and be like "Be there in 20. The price is the usual". Now that I look back, I literally cringe in embarrassment.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yeap. Just had Cookout today. I chose some of the less calorie options and still ate about 1000 calories. Normally I could eat the higher calories things for lunch and dinner. I was stuffed.

I love Cookout! I used to be able to eat a tray with a milkshake for a meal and be hungry three hours later. Now I can do either a tray or a milkshake (rare), and be so full that I eat a much smaller next meal
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad about eating a bite of this and a pinch of that, so it's really hard to look back and estimate what I might have been eating in terms of calories. It was more than enough, though; my shape is testament to that.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Yes! Also, one of the best things I've learned from MFP are proper measurements. I was really surprised to find that what I thought was a tablespoon of peanut butter was actually double that amount.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I must count my carbs now, so when we go out to eat I research the menu in advance to figure out what I can have. I love the chicken pot pie at Bakers Square but it has double the amount of my entire daily allotment of carbs, in one item!
  • ainokea8
    Options
    Me too! I honestly didn't care what and how much I ate. I even had this thought in my head "I better eat all of this now while I can still get away with it. When I get older, I won't be able to eat these things anymore so I should enjoy it now" I actually still kind of think that but I'm much more limited now because I have new goals in mind, that I want to be fit at least once in my life.

it wasn't just what I ate, but also how I cooked. i.e if I'm making an omelette then I eyeball the amount of shredded cheese I want to put in it, and it would be ALOT. Like I didn't even measure with cups or anything, I just grabbed handfuls and threw it in there.

Anyways a typical day, I would wake up and either skip breakfast or have a light one. I've never been big on breakfast. But occasionally I would have french toast with scrambled eggs or an omelette with a lot of shredded cheese in it, and bacon on the side.

I would snack so much. I could eat an entire bar of chocolate and some fruits in between.

Then I'd go to lunch which would vary from day to day. Most of the time it'd be some form of sandwich with lots of spread. and everything in it, with a side of fries.

Have some more snacks in between. A bag of cookies, more chocolate, yogurt, ice cream, whatever I could get my hands on really.

Then dinner would be the biggest offender. I would have creamy pastas with tons of butter and cheese in it. Or lasagnes and baked zitis with spoonfuls of sour cream and ALOT of cheese baked on top. And on top of that I would side several slices of french bread to go with my pasta. And even after two big servings of that, I would finish it up with a slice of chocolate cake and maybe later in the night I'd have hot chocolate with whipped creaming. I gave zero cares about calories.

There was also a time when I was vacationing for a couple months and I was drinking ALOT. Like every night with friends would be going out to the bars and of course this meant following up with mcdonalds when we got hungry because it's the only place that opened that late. Or greasy fried street foods. And also eating out every single meal of every day. I was eating pasta at restaurants every few days. and eating four huge meals a day. All with no exercise. That had to be time that I gained the most weight I ever had in my entire life. I even started gaining weight in places I don't even gain weight in. That was the wake up call for me.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Amazing what I consumed for my 5 ft 2 in frame. I ate mindlessly. Thanks to MFP, I am more mindful now and would never wanna go back. Thanks to all the inspiring stories here.

This. I'm so short and I was always so hungry -- and now I recognize that it was become my concept of a "normal" portion was way, way higher than what actual portions look like. And I'm still working on this, honestly. (2 oz of pasta looks horribly, horribly sad to me -- so I usually try to save enough calories for three or four on pasta nights, lol.)

But when I started logging, my average calories were something like 3,000 - 4,000 per day, many of them drinks and whatnot, I can still get up to 3,000 if I'm having a certain kind of night or food, but now I feel like **** and generally don't enjoy it.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I was always dieting, eating fast-food type salads- iceberg lettuce, ham, tons of cheese, chips instead of croutons (never ate them because i heard they were fatty) drowned in ranch dressing. If I was feeling Really healthy, a little shredded carrots. And plenty of 500+ calorie muffins, eggs were to fatty! Fast food chicken instead of burgers, because it was "healthy"

I never read calories or serving sizes, ever. I never measured or limited portions either. I never knew why I couldn't be skinny.
  • NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    I was a junk food junkie and I loved the good stuff like Reese peanut butter cups, snickers, Doritos, and cherry coke! One of my favorite snacks from the Deli was dry salami, cheese Doritos, and a pickle.... then I would have a Hostess chocolate or orange cupcake with a cherry coke! Ha.... I never weighed myself or worked out!
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm just more shocked at how easy it is to eat too much and gain weight. I was never really a binge eater, I never drank soda, ate fast food, etc. aka the normal stuff people do that makes them gain weight. I ate mostly carbs and cheese, so nutritionally I had a bad diet, but I put on weight slowly (around 5 pounds a year since I was 13 - with no height change). I calculated roughly how much I would have to eat per day to gain weight at that speed, and it's only a difference of a few hundred calories per day.
    It's actually probably good, because when I gain weight, it probably won't be in massive amounts quickly, but it's just amazing how eating an extra 200 calories a day can add up.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    lol !!! That sounds like me....
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    OMG YESS!!I I shudder at what I used to eat...o.0
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I worked in a busy ER, my diet consisted of three things: Sara Lee Coffee Cake, Pepsi, and black coffee...that's when I found the time to grab a bite in the break room during a long 18 hour shift. We ALL ate that way, doctors, nurses, PA's, and oddly enough, we were all very thin. Too thin, in many cases. I guess we worked it off running from one patient to the next.

I shudder to think of what we would look like today if we ate that way...now that we are of a "certain age" and our metabolism is as slow as a clogged drain.

Truth is, the thought of eating Sara Lee Coffee Cake makes me feel nauseated.
  • JenniferT89
    Options
    A little different, but, Krispy Kreme is directly across from my gym. BAD! Sometimes, after a heavy sweat, that sugar smells SO good! I use to completely undo my workout by grabbing two of them on the way home. That's like, a full days worth of calories in JUST donuts!

Oh boy.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    A little different, but, Krispy Kreme is directly across from my gym. BAD!

There was a Coldstone Creamery directly opposite my old gym. I'd drive out and it would literally be the first thing I saw as I was leaving the parking lot. It always seemed really unfair somehow.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Not really. I am more shocked at my lack of activity. I eat a lot now (3000 cals give or take), the difference is my activity level is very high instead of how I used to be, which I would call extreme couch potato.
  • samfelder
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is chitterlings. My mom would make them for the holidays...everyone would give the :noway: face every time I said I ate them.

Mom is gone now so there's no one to make them for me ..glad I never learned how to make them myself...can't imagine eating them since I've gotten older and done my research :embarassed:
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    When I first got my apartment, I thought nothing of polishing off a whole small pizza and a pint of ice cream. The ice cream store was conveniently located next door to the pizzeria. That was a long, long, long time ago.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I used to love making my own shortbread dough mixes using a whole 250 g block of unsalted butter with equivalent volume of sugar and flour. I would eat the whole mixture in one day and do this 1-3 times a week. I also did it with hazelnut flour, butter and brown sugar when I was living with my dad, or consume half a jar of tahini mixed with lots of natural honey throughout the day. I also exercised a lot and wondered why I could never get below 65 kg... lol.

THEN I went to live with a relative who's a really good cook for a month and my weight shot up to 72 kg due to what I was eating there.

Breakfast: Huge bowl of muesli, yogurt and honey with 4 pieces of generously buttered toast.
    Lunch (at school): 2 sandwiches with generous amounts of ham, onion chutney, cheese and whole egg mayonnaise, an apple and piece of cake, like coffee cake. Never had mayo up to that point but then loved it so much I ate it from the jar...
    Lunch (at home): Two cheese and spinach filled pita pockets, followed by a slice or two of cake and some chocolate.
    Dinner: Meat of some kind with steamed vegetables, potato and a cream based sauce, followed by cake and whipped cream or Greek yogurt depending on the cake.

My relative, a very nice lady, didn't eat nearly as much as I did and that's why she remained reasonably "slim" for her age.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Always be willing and ready to work off what you eat!!!