Half Marathon Training

Options
I recently finished 5k and 10k training with Zen Labs C25K Program. Unfortunately, the Zen Labs half marathon trainer is $9.99 and has you walking for 2 minutes / jogging for 2 minutes all the way to the last week.

Anyone know a good Half Marathon program or app? I don't mind spending money on it, if it's good!

Replies

• Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The running wizard (http://www.running-wizard.com/) plans are awesome. They are based on principles from legendary coach Arthur Lydiard (kind of the father of modern training).
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I train for a half marathon I don't have any apps that I use. Some people really like Hal Higdon plans, and garmin also has training plans. I have used marathonrookie.com training plan. I usually end of looking at a few plans and kind of come up with my own that works for me. Good Luck!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Plenty of choices out there. Hal Higdon is a very popular one (I'm currently using his Advanced HM plan), as is Jeff Galloway. Hit up the Long Distance Runners group too :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon for my last two and liked it. I really like that he offers different levels.
  • sleroux14
    Options
    I'm using this one right now !

http://running.about.com/od/halfmarathonprograms/

:happy:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon for my 5K-to-10K program, but I signed up to do my half training with a running group so I'm following their program. From what I've seen it's very similar to Hal Higdon's. He's got various options:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

(Edit to put in the correct link)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    another fan of Hal Higdon here.....
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper has free training plans.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Smart coach on runnersworld is good and free. You put in your recent race time, weekly mileage and race date and choose how hard you want to train. Hal Higdon programs are good too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Smart coach on runnersworld is good and free. You put in your recent race time, weekly mileage and race date and choose how hard you want to train. Hal Higdon programs are good too.

I have seen other people say that too. I had that program, but I didn't love it. I must have misread it, and when I got closer to the end, I realized that my longest long run was going to be 9 or 10 miles. I ended up switching.
    Just my experience though. Obviously it may be different with the different options you choose.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just google it. If you find one you like, go for it. Otherwise you can print out several different ones and create your own using those as a guide. Good luck! The half is my favorite distance.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am currently using Hal Higdon for my half marathon. I really like his plan. And if you like his Facebook page and ask him a question he will answer.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway and I smooth run...that app will let you only intervals