Intake vs Burn

Options
Hi

Been fooling around with the same 2-4 lbs this month. Fit bits chart has my burn averaging 2300 a day and my intake at 1600 for the month of January. My BMR is 1542, so I stay above that. Did 30 Day Shred (no rest days)and a bit of elliptical. I did get to a low for half a second and then right back up. Only record lowest scale weight. I weigh and measure everything. You would think that at least 2 lbs would be gone. Am I not eating enough? If I am consistently eating a above my BMR and below my TDEE shouldn't there be movement. Started in September with great results till December. December got Fitbit and tried to make marks set on that while still keeping in my calorie goal. Female 5'2" and 182 lbs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? Do you log everything and do it everyday? How consistent have you been?

Have you also been recording measurements? Are you still losing inches?

How are you calculating a 2300 burn?

If you are following the TDEE -20% method, you shouldn't be eating the exercise calories back because they are included already. If you follow MFP's #s and NOT TDEE, then you would eat the exercise cals back because they follow the NEAT method.

Here are some helpful links to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122891-9-reasons-fat-loss-is-always-slower-than-you-d-like
  • stacied2000
    stacied2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links!

Yes, using a scale and measuring cups. Grams and oz.
    Following TDEE-20% - not eating calories burned back (scooby)
    Measurements taken end of October and again Jan 31st. Did loose a few inches after 30 DS. Just want that darn scale to move a little, not asking for a lot just a little. Patience I know.
    2300 burn is from the Fitbit -month average for January, intake 1600 average
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BMR estimate is +/- 10% at best. Take off 200 cals of food per day for a month.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    BMR estimate is +/- 10% at best. Take off 200 cals of food per day for a month.

What? No. That makes no sense. Why would you take off from your BMR? And lowering your calories by 200 daily for a month would lead you to 0 calories way before the end of the month. BAD ADVICE.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thank you for the links!

Yes, using a scale and measuring cups. Grams and oz.
    Following TDEE-20% - not eating calories burned back (scooby)
    Measurements taken end of October and again Jan 31st. Did loose a few inches after 30 DS. Just want that darn scale to move a little, not asking for a lot just a little. Patience I know.
    2300 burn is from the Fitbit -month average for January, intake 1600 average

If you are losing inches, don't worry about. Honestly, inches lost are way better than the scale #. At the end of the day, do you want to be able to have a lower # on the scale (which is really inaccurate due to water retention, menstrual cycle, food intake, etc)...or do you want to fit into smaller clothes?

If you could open your diary, might be able to see things a little better...otherwise, as long as you are losing the inches, keep doing as you are doing.
  • breasyd2
    Options
    The scale can be very misleading. Make sure you are measuring yourself. I measure once a week and, often, I have not lost weight but have lost quite a few inches. Since our goal is to get smaller, the inches are most important.
  • stacied2000
    Options
    Thanks again!

If you are losing inches, don't worry about. I KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE!

Diary is open.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Okay, just reviewed your diary.

Are you actually weighing out everything? Like your creamer (2g) and Coffee (ounces)...or are you using the measuring spoons/cups.

I'm just noticing a lot of entries in measuring cups/spoons.

I.e. (aside the coffee and creamer) -
    Cottage cheese
    Baked apples
    ham soup
    Almonds (counted pieces instead of weighing)
    Cereal
    Salsa
    Pretzels/Chips/Crackers
    Fruits/Veggies (i.e. clementines, zucchini)
    Ice Cream
    Rice Cakes
    Beans
    Pumpkin Pie
    Nuts
    Dressings/Oils
    Cool Whip

Was the burger per patty or did you weigh that out?
    Did you weight the fries out or just count out the pieces?
    Do you count out the chips or weigh them?

The little things do add up. I'd reference the link to the ETP post in regards to "You May Be Eating More Than You Think."

I also saw that you've actually been at around 1600 for a couple weeks and was actually eating lower prior to this. When you change your intake amount (or even your workout routine), you'll need to give your body 4-6 weeks to adjust.

Also, as I got further back, there were quick add entries and some days it didn't seem all filled out.

So, again, if you are losing inches still, then you aren't in a stall and I would forget the scale. But I would also suggest going ahead and weighing as much of everything you eat as possible and try to avoid quick adding calories.

Work on staying between 1600-1700 consistently for the next 4-6 weeks and see how that goes. If you continue to lose inches, gain, don't worry if the scale isn't moving. If you stall out on the inches lost and scale number for a few weeks, then maybe review your logging activities (consistency, weighing, etc).
  • stacied2000
    Options
    Thanks PikaKnight!

Weighed everything- had been weighing but in measuring cups/spoons, now strictly scale grams, ml and oz. Scaled down on the cardio and started NROL4W Feb 1 and tried to be steady in the calorie intake. Scale moved big time, inches too. Noticed that when I started out in Oct was just doing Jillian DVD, 25 min, and that's it. Upped my exercise in January and needed to eat more (but didn't) from doing so, darn Fitbit.

Thanks again