Has anyone notices the scanner doesn't always get it right?

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
Hi Everyone,

I just scanned the barcode for something and it came back 3 ounces instead of 5 ounces; and 10 grams of fat, instead of 1.5 grams. Is anyone else experiencing this? I know I can do a quick add of calories, but I like keeping tack of my macros.

Thanks in advance.

E

Replies

• NianMaya
    NianMaya Posts: 108
    Options
    Well the other day I scanned my Buitoni chicken and herb tortellini and it came back as 3 oz of chicken. I was a little irked but then I remembered that it usual works and I just put in the info.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it happens. Sometimes it's really funny when it comes up with a completely different product. If the barcode brings up something different (or old/incorrect nutritional info) try searching by the item's brand name.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    So it is probably the bar code and not the scanner.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens. I always check. Also good to weigh things. I've noticed that when you have the info on the back of the product it isn't always right.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If it's bringing up the right product but not the right amounts or nutrition info according to your package, then it's probably old information. Companies are always changing product weights and tweaking ingredients.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't use the scanner too often, but yesterday I scanned a granola bar and it came up a totally different kind!! I guess with all the food there is, it cant be perfect. Its pretty good though!
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You will find it changes because the barcode number is re-used.

Companies will recycle or reuse "old" barcodes and use them for new products. This is common across industries and products: food, clothing, etc.

Again this is fairly common place with companies with a large number of different products so they don't have to buy new numbers. What I don't know - and am a little curious about -- is if a barcode number once used by company "X" may be used by company "Y"?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    So it is probably the bar code and not the scanner.

It's probably a database error.

if you look at "mythingyoueatfoodoffof.co m" calorie counter, they are WAYYYY off on a lot of things. MFP is much closer, but still has the odd error (but it's easier to correct here).

Same deal with the Dbases for the scanners.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Its not the scanner - nor the MFP data base - it is based upon what barcode the put on the items at the point of sale - I had some rolls this morning they had coded as something completely different - ham or something!! Always check - if not just enter the item using the nutritional information on the package - I know it takes time but you are helping to build a data base that we can benefit from :) D
  • kit_liu
    kit_liu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always check the scanner info before I add the item on because I've noticed it doesnt get it right.. If its not the correct macros, then I look on the database for the closest item it does correlate to. Still the scanner info/database is still better than others I've tried. Same goes for named items that gives a lot of choices, you just try for the closest correlation.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me, I scanned the same barcode again and it came correct. I should say that the first product was not the right product, as opposed to, say, the right product with different information. I always check too.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    I've only used the barcode scanner once because it's usually faster for me to just type in the name in the database.

The one time I did use the scanner, it had the right brand but everything else was wrong.

My wife uses the scanner all the time, though, so it must be fairly reliable. Either that or she's just got tons of incorrect stuff in her food diary and never noticed.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me, I scanned the same barcode again and it came correct. I should say that the first product was not the right product, as opposed to, say, the right product with different information. I always check too.

^^ this is what I do as well. The few times it gives me incorrect info....I just re-scan and it comes back with the correct info.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wondered awhile ago if the scanner entries could be altered in the database, because one of my friends used the barcode scanner and she got a Net Carbs entry for the exact same product. I don't think there's any such thing as net carbs packaging, so it seemed more likely that the entry had been altered by an MFP user.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wondered awhile ago if the scanner entries could be altered in the database, because one of my friends used the barcode scanner and she got a Net Carbs entry for the exact same product. I don't think there's any such thing as net carbs packaging, so it seemed more likely that the entry had been altered by an MFP user.

I wondered that too becaue I wanted to change the incorrect ones I had found. I haven't found a way. I kinda just assumed it was a barcode issue or perhaps a US vs Canada thing. I don't really know how barcodes work so….
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Ok. It is now in the database per package nutrition label. Try it: Ono Wahoo fish. It is in the tuna family. Not a real fishy taste; 37 grams of protein 1.5 grams of fat; no carbs.

Hope you enjoy!
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    yeah but usually its pretty close. like i scanned a bottle of alcohol and it gave me the same kind but a different brand. same with an obscure chocolate thin from england. close enough and calories seemed accurate. it works most of the time and its a nifty feature. i cant really complain.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    I hadn't realized this. :indifferent: