starting a run program

Options
Hi
I have kicked the smoking habit and wanted to start running. I've been training off/on for 4 weeks. I can walk/run 2 mi. in 24 min. There is a 5k on 12-18 but I'm afraid that I won't be running/walking fast enough. I don't want to be the last one across the line. Suggestions?????
Thanks

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running my dear - the only competition is against yourself. Even though you may be the last one crossing the finish line, just be thankful you did it!
  • scweegie
    Options
    I think you will be able to do the 5k, that is only one more mile that you currently are run/walking. Your current pace is great; better than my first 5k. Also there is something about finishing a 5k that is very satisfying, even if you are last, you finished. However with your current times you will do fine!

Also there is the couch to 5k program out there, but I think you are already passed this. Or maybe you could join the program at week 4.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    C25K program worked for me!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Shape mag had a couch to finish with a 5k format and that's where I started. :) Big joke, is how do I get my couch to the start line. lol...

It just seems I'm so slow. I walk about 15 miles a week and have just been adding the running in on T, Th, and Sat. It has really up ed my calorie burn so I love that. I wear a heart rate monitor and it's awesome to burn 200 cal in 22 min. :) I am starting to see a change in my bod as well.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll stick with it and if I don't feel like I can do the one in Dec. then I'll look for one in Jan. I know for a fact there is one I want to do in March that's a trail run. So that's the ultimate goal and it has a 5k and a half marathon so who knows.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    So what if you're the last one across. There will be some that don't finish and even more who never try.

I weigh 350, I can't even run 2 house lengths, but I am signing up for every 5K that is held within a 50 mile radius in 2011. I'm never going to get better if I never try.

I'm just trying to let this runner out of me cause right now she's hidden underneath about 200 extra pounds of fat.

Just do it !!

Here's a great commercial I love - I have it posted on Facebook with the comment "what's your excuse" right above it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

My favorite motivational clip is this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSM1mvMypWU

Just find what motivates you and DO IT !!

Let us know how it goes. I wish you the best.

Eva
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You will not be last. Those that did not try will be behind you. GO FOR IT!!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My favorite running quote is "First or Last, it's the same finish line"..... and another favorite is "It wasn't that I had the courage to finish, it's that I had the courage to start.".

I say Sign up! It's very motivating knowing you have a goal you are working towards. You can do this, quitting smoking provide that you have the determination to stick with something tough. Good for you on making the decision to run, you are going to love it.

I used to book Marathon Training for Mortal, by Bingham. He talked a lot about the time and determination, not using a time goal. In my first race I finished about 45 minutes faster than I thought I would, it was a 12K.

Runners are a special group of people, no one ever looks at you and asks why you aren't going faster. They are supper supportive and encouraging. Especially if you mention it's your first race.

Good Luck!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! Odds are there will be walkers behind you, but even if there aren't, you will win just from setting out to do it!! :)

My first 10K I was 594 out of 605. But I did it, and no one can take that away from me! It'll be the same for you with your 5K finish. No one can take away from you the fact that you finished it!

Plus look at it this way... It'll be an automatic Personal Record (PR), and you can aim to crush it in the next 5K you enter! :)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5k program worked for me as well, and this past September I completed a 5k walk/run in just under 37 minutes. I was definitely not the last person but I was near the end of the main chunk of people. There were walkers still finishing a long time after the race start.

When you finish your 24 minute run, do you feel like you could still go for a little longer? If so, just focus on trying to go a little longer next time. Focusing on the time rather than the distance helps. The C25k program ends with you jogging 30 minutes straight (or 3 miles). For me, 3 miles was more like 36 minutes so I just continued working up to that. By race day I was able to jog for 38 minutes which was about a 5k for me.

The C25k program info is at:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You'll get a boost of adrenaline from the race day atmosphere too, so you will probably surprise yourself :)

Congrats on kicking the smoking habit and good luck!