will i lose weight on high protein plan?

Options
I plan on doing Jamie easons livefit meal plan. Her program is obviously directed for weight lifting. My question is will I benefit and lose weight by doing the meal plan but not following her lifting part of it? Like for example do weight lifting 2x a week and other days doing Jillian Michaels workouts or t25? What confuses me is they always say you need to eat at a deficient to lose weight but with this program I'm more then likely going to be eating more then my daily calorie intake.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. Exercise is for fitness and the ability to eat more calories. Protein is good for satiety and muscle retention. How many calories are you eating?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The ONLY* way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn, per day, over a period of time.

*I lied, there is also liposuction and limb/organ loss.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if your calories eaten are less than your calories expended.

That being said high protein diets often promote a feeling of fullness as well as helping build muscle; so they're generally good for weight loss.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What they said.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The ONLY* way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn, per day, over a period of time.

True. sorta.

What kind of calories you eat is also incredibly important.

Don't believe me? Consume your daily intake for a week in HFCS. Then do another week where you only get it from non meat sources, but fresh. Then a third where it's all protein.

your body treats a calorie of already processed sugar totally different than a calorie of protein, and complex carb calories differently from either of those.
  • wheird
    Options

True. sorta.

Don't believe me? Consume your daily intake for a week in HFCS. Then do another week where you only get it from non meat sources, but fresh. Then a third where it's all protein.

your body treats a calorie of already processed sugar totally different than a calorie of protein, and complex carb calories differently from either of those.

This is untrue. Studies have already been done that show -what- you eat, purely in terms of weight loss, makes little to no difference. Also, your example was very extreme. No one is going to consume ONLY HFCS or ONLY protein for a period of time.
  • psuLemon
    Options

True. sorta.

It's 100% a proven fact that calories in vs out is the only thing that matter for weight loss (it's the law of thermodynamics). Macro's are for other things such as muscle retention, satiety and energy..

Besides there is NO way to consume a whole diet of HFCS (which is processed just like all other carbs). So lets not start a battle on sugar.. it's already been discuss ad nauseam.
  • psuLemon
    Options

True. sorta.

This is untrue. Studies have already been done that show -what- you eat, purely in terms of weight loss, makes little to no difference. Also, your example was very extreme. No one is going to consume ONLY HFCS or ONLY protein for a period of time.

haha.. you beat me to it..
  • Melissa72187
    Melissa72187 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was going by what mfp said to do for daily calories which set me for like 1450. Since I completed t25 two weeks ago and haven't found something I want to follow yet I used the Harris Benedict formula to set my calories manually and that's at 1550 now. I guess i don't understand how the program works if its not following how many calories you're suppose to have?
  • Ctrum69
    Options

True. sorta.

I knew you were going to bring that misquote of the "it's the calories, stupid" study up.

purely in terms of weight gain (loss?) you may be right. But few of us are "purely" after weight loss.. most of us are also after still being relatively healthy and in better shape when doing it.. here's a better analysis of that study:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/04/low-protein-diets-lower-weight-but-dont-cut-fat/

Note, specifically:

"“The composition of what you eat isn’t important for determining what happens to your fat stores — only the calories,” says Bray, but “one of the things this study shows is that our handling of protein and our handling of calories can be separated. [Protein] does some very different things than what the total calories do.”

Participants in the low-protein, high-fat group stored more than 90% of their extra calories as fat, and the lack of dietary protein caused their loss of lean body mass. “They were actually mobilizing some of their body’s proteins” — that is, using up the body’s existing lean mass — Bray notes. Those who ate normal- or high-protein diets, by contrast, stored only 50% of their extra calories as fat.

Bray also points out that based on the amount of protein consumed daily by participants eating the low-protein diet (48 g), overeaters would have to up their intake to 78 g to keep from losing lean body mass. Meanwhile, Americans are typically advised to eat a minimum of 56 g of protein a day “as the lower limit of normal,” Bray says, “suggesting that this criterion might need to be reconsidered.”

Throughout the course of the study, researchers also measured changes in the participants’ energy expenditure, or how many calories they used in a day, and found that those on normal- and high-protein diets were not only burning more calories than they did before the start of the study, but they were also using more significantly more energy than the low-protein group.

Meanwhile, resting metabolism in the low-protein eaters declined: in other words, as they gained weight, they required fewer calories to maintain that weight — a handy recipe for obesity."

So no.. a calorie is NOT a calorie is NOT a calorie.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I was going by what mfp said to do for daily calories which set me for like 1450. Since I completed t25 two weeks ago and haven't found something I want to follow yet I used the Harris Benedict formula to set my calories manually and that's at 1550 now. I guess i don't understand how the program works if its not following how many calories you're suppose to have?

What is your height weight and age? Also, how many hours a week do you workout? I can look at setting up a plan for you.
  • wheird
    Options

True. sorta.

I knew you were going to bring that misquote of the "it's the calories, stupid" study up.

purely in terms of weight gain (loss?) you may be right. But few of us are "purely" after weight loss.. most of us are also after still being relatively healthy and in better shape when doing it.. here's a better analysis of that study:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/04/low-protein-diets-lower-weight-but-dont-cut-fat/

Note, specifically:

"“The composition of what you eat isn’t important for determining what happens to your fat stores — only the calories,” says Bray, but “one of the things this study shows is that our handling of protein and our handling of calories can be separated. [Protein] does some very different things than what the total calories do.”

Participants in the low-protein, high-fat group stored more than 90% of their extra calories as fat, and the lack of dietary protein caused their loss of lean body mass. “They were actually mobilizing some of their body’s proteins” — that is, using up the body’s existing lean mass — Bray notes. Those who ate normal- or high-protein diets, by contrast, stored only 50% of their extra calories as fat.

Bray also points out that based on the amount of protein consumed daily by participants eating the low-protein diet (48 g), overeaters would have to up their intake to 78 g to keep from losing lean body mass. Meanwhile, Americans are typically advised to eat a minimum of 56 g of protein a day “as the lower limit of normal,” Bray says, “suggesting that this criterion might need to be reconsidered.”

Throughout the course of the study, researchers also measured changes in the participants’ energy expenditure, or how many calories they used in a day, and found that those on normal- and high-protein diets were not only burning more calories than they did before the start of the study, but they were also using more significantly more energy than the low-protein group.

Meanwhile, resting metabolism in the low-protein eaters declined: in other words, as they gained weight, they required fewer calories to maintain that weight — a handy recipe for obesity."

So no.. a calorie is NOT a calorie is NOT a calorie.

I'm not suggesting that macronutrient spreads aren't important. I regularly advise people to eat .8-1.2g of protein per pound of lean body mass and approximately .35g of fat per pound of body weight.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

True. sorta.

It's 100% a proven fact that calories in vs out is the only thing that matter for weight loss (it's the law of thermodynamics). Macro's are for other things such as muscle retention, satiety and energy..

Besides there is NO way to consume a whole diet of HFCS (which is processed just like all other carbs). So lets not start a battle on sugar.. it's already been discuss ad nauseam.

Umm.. no. HFCS and Spinach are not processed "just like each other".

simple vs complex carbs. Not at all the same.
  • psuLemon
    Options

True. sorta.

Umm.. no. HFCS and Spinach are not processed "just like each other".

simple vs complex carbs. Not at all the same.

HFCS and Sucrose are virtually identical. But you have to consider NO ONE on this board or even eats a whole diet in HFCS, just protein or just fats. So we really don't need to have a fight over extremest comparisons.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

"They are both nearly identical in the way they are metabolized by your body. There is no practical difference between the two as far as your body is concerned. Now, I’m not saying that you should go out and consume all the HFCS that you want. The point is that there is nothing uniquely “bad” about HFCS compared to regular sugar. HFCS is not uniquely responsible for weight gain as some people would have you believe"

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=19

"The bottom line is that there is no valid reason for HFCS to be any different than sucrose in the way that it affects your body. They are both nearly identical in their composition, containing roughly half fructose and half glucose. They are both nearly identical in the way they are metabolized by your body. There is no practical difference between the two as far as your body is concerned"

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/straight-talk-about-high-fructose-corn-syrup-what-it-is-and-what-it-aint-research-review.html

"In that all fructose-glucose solutions (whether HFCS, sucrose or honey) are metabolized in exactly the same fashion in the body, there is simply no reason to think that HFCS per se is particularly obesity promoting outside of being a caloric source."

The fact is, even with us dirty eaters, we suggest adequate levels of protein, fats and carbs for your workout programs and an 80/20 approach to whole/processed foods. Because the goal is to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

And just one more..

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/

"Conventional wisdom says that since a calorie is a calorie, regardless of its source, the best advice for weight control is simply to eat less and exercise more. Yet emerging research suggests that some foods and eating patterns may make it easier to keep calories in check, while others may make people more likely to overeat."
  • Melissa72187
    Melissa72187 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

What is your height weight and age? Also, how many hours a week do you workout? I can look at setting up a plan for you.

I am 26 5'6 at 150 lbs looking to get down to 135. I work out roughly 3 hours total a week, 5 days a week 30-40 min a day. I like her meal plan but the weight lifting will be hard to do at home when its supposed to be done at the gym for the most part
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am 26 5'6 at 150 lbs looking to get down to 135. I work out roughly 3 hours total a week, 5 days a week 30-40 min a day. I like her meal plan but the weight lifting will be hard to do at home when its supposed to be done at the gym for the most part

I would have you eat 1650 calories total (not net); macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 35% fats. Also, if that program is meant for the gym, just change to another program. I am a huge fan of the p90x series (currently doing x3 doubles) or chalean extreme. Or there are other free at whole workouts. I just don' t have links to them. But you can search the fitness section.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    Now you are changing the parameters.

You said all carbs are processed the same. Spinach is a complex carb, HFCS or table sugar, a simple carb.

I call epic BS on "all carbs are processed the same" because study after study has shown that to be untrue.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I'm not suggesting that macronutrient spreads aren't important. I regularly advise people to eat .8-1.2g of protein per pound of lean body mass and approximately .35g of fat per pound of body weight.

For some reason I thought I was getting less than the amount of protein peopel recommended and was wondering how on earth I would get more in, but I just realised it is based on lean body mass, did some more calculations, and I am getting in the range people recommend. Phew. :P
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The energy value of a calorie is still a calorie.

A mile is also a mile whether you drive it in a car or walk it on foot.

These arguments over individual macronutrients in circumstances where the middle is excluded are ridiculous and they don't serve to educate the person just looking to get a simple question answered.

People do not eat diets strictly composed of HFCS.

In the context of diet where calories and macronutrients are set reasonably towards an individual's goals, the type of carbohydrate you choose isn't going to make much of a difference assuming you're using some common sense in your diet.

OP: Your change of weight will largely be determined by state of energy balance. Macronutrients will influence body composition and training stimulus will do so to an even greater extent.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, so this may already have been asked and answered, but it what it comes down to is how many calories will you be eating? Will you still be creating a calorie deficit? If you are still creating a deficit, you will lose weight. If the deficit is smaller than what you are currently doing, you will lose more slowly, if the deficit is greater than what you are currently doing you will lose more quickly, if the deficit is the same as what you are currently doing, you will keep losing at about the same rate.

More protein may help you to feel full longer, to keep more of your muscle as you lose weight, and may possibly help your insulin and glucose levels to stay in balance, resulting in fewer cravings. These things may make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit, but it is STILL THE DEFICIT that results in the weight loss.