Tired of this journey ... just tired ..

Options
So to start off ive been at this for 8 months and I keep losing the same 2 pounds then gainig em back after a crazy binge toward thee end of the week . This had been going on for 8 months . Im 19 percent bf and I just want to see my abs already . I workout everyday . Gym twice a day sumtimes . 30 min of cardio everyday . Ive been doing this EVERYDAY for 8 months and because of my binging ive seen nooooo progress . Im so stressed I cry everyday about this . For the fact that I work soooo hard but binge then kill my process . Gettng to the point were I really might just quit guys . Im in my junior yr of college . I have ONE more year and I want my dream body by senoir yr . Someone motivate me . Tell me SOMETHING .. ANYTHING to keep me from quiting . Thank you

Replies

• Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Your dairy is closed. Hard to give you advice when i don't know what you have been doing.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Your dairy is closed. Hard to give you advice when i don't know what you have been doing.

Agree. How much do you eat? What are your macros? Do you only do cardio or do you also do resistance training? Do you weigh your food? Are you consistent and accurate with your logging and your workouts?

Getting a dream body in a year might be an unrealistic goal, but quitting is the one guaranteed way to NOT get it.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're getting upset about this to the point of crying on a daily basis, I think you need to talk to someone in the psych field. It seems like your body image is really messing with your head.

Take advantage of the resources available to you at college. I don't know what those are at your specific college, but I know mine has psychological counseling services built into our student fees and a registered dietician on staff. There's also personal training available at our gym, though that comes with a price. Those resources will not be as readily available after you leave college, and the people at colleges are generally experienced at working with young adults.

Seconded on the sentiment that it's hard to know what you could change without seeing your diary, but it sounds suspiciously like you're trying to restrict yourself to a number of calories that's too low, which is leading you to binge.

You definitely need a change, but it's hard to say what without more specifics.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Seriously? This again?

I'm not usually one for tough love but mate, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO.

Maintain a caloric deficit.

If you want to deprive yourself a little more during the week and have a higher (but still controlled) feed on the weekends then do that.
    If you want to make yourself be super disciplined and eliminate any temptation of junk food in your house and prepare all your meals, then do that.

You know what to do, but you are not seeing any progress because you do not stick to anything for long enough to see any results.

I'm going to stop replying to your threads now because I'm getting frustrated by them, but just take a good hard look in the mirror and ask yourself whether you really want this and if you are willing to stick to a plan to make it happen. *****ing on internet forums will not make you lose weight. There is no magic bullet. Just do it.
  • Brandonalex15
    Options
    Your completely right. Thats y I cant even get mad that you came on a little tuff . But im an emotional eater . It sounds like a dumb excuse but im already depressed because of other personal issues so my jouney is already teice as hard .. U were right guy up above me .. But that isnt the type of motivation I need right now . I just want to hear a success story from someone who struggled just as much as I am now . But overcame it
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Your completely right. Thats y I cant even get mad that you came on a little tuff . But im an emotional eater . It sounds like a dumb excuse but im already depressed because of other personal issues so my jouney is already teice as hard .. U were right guy up above me .. But that isnt the type of motivation I need right now . I just want to hear a success story from someone who struggled just as much as I am now . But overcame it

You are 20 yrs old - maybe you need to talk to someone about your problems. I am sorry but you have a lifetime of stress and personal issues ahead of you - you need to suck it up and shake it off or talk to someone to put things into perspective. If you really want to lose weight you have to commit to making changes and sticking to it - if you are an emotional eater then keep only healthy snacks around so that when you go to look for food you will have to settle for the cut up veg or nothing. Change what needs to be changed and move forward - that will make you feel much better than a self pity party. Good Luck!
  • usbsnowcrash
    usbsnowcrash Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I spent 10 years dieting and constantly yoyoing down 5 up 10 until finally I could not take it any more. I too was an emotional eater and I was suffering from deep depression as well. I used food to relieve stress and feel better but as the years went on it became less and less effective. In January 2013 I finally found the motivation I needed to change things. I started exercising (all I could do was 30 min walks at first) and I promises myself that no matter what I would log what I ate. I eventually started seeing a councilor and getting on medication to combat the depression. I'm not going to lie to you about how hard it was but I'm telling you that you can do it. In one year I lost 113lbs and if I can do it so can anyone. Hell I still need motivation from time to time (it's why I even browsed the forums tonight). Find your motivation and hang in there.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Some people need help to overcome binge eating and emotional eating. There's no shame in that. If this is really that important to you, and the binge eating is what's holding you back, maybe getting proper help is the next logical step.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Maybe shake up the diet plan a bit, zig zagging/calorie cycling or 5:2 might be enough to keep binge or emotional eating at bay if you can eat at maintenance/TDEE some of the week.

I know it isn't everyones cup of tea but there are enough groups on here for 5:2 you can poke around in. I also like the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group.

Some of us bore of calorie restriction every day and need to mix it up to keep interested. I have been doing it since May 2013 and find it suits me.

And I second all those who recommended counselling, I personally would not visit a Psychiatrist unless you want psych meds but a psychologist or counsellor is a good plan.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As you've said you're having another problems and are an emotional eater, it's probably best you get help for the problems you're having. The binges have got nothing to do with your weight and how much you want to lose weight, they're probably because you're feeling depressed, stressed or whatever's going on in your life. If you're anything like I was, you're also probably attaching too much importance to your weight as a way of fixing your problems and making you happy. But it won't.

I'm only just starting out on the weight loss journey. I've had depression for a long time and it has held me back from losing weight. Since getting help for my depression and dealing with issues in my life, I'm already binging less. I'm also less bothered by my weight and am not in the rush to lose it I was previously. I'm simply tracking my calories, exercising 3x a week and letting my body do what it wants as a result. I'm no longer aiming for a certain number or certain size because I know it won't change anything. What will change my life is having a healthier approach to food and fitness
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    you do realize that abs are some of the hardest muscles to develop and 'See" right?

And that many of the people out there with "awesome abs" are genetically predilected to having them?
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't made his diary public. Is he just looking for an "atta boy?" He hasn't posted any information about himself- height, weight, calories in, nothing. I think he has already made a decision regarding weightloss.
    *abandons thread*
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    So to start off ive been at this for 8 months and I keep losing the same 2 pounds then gainig em back after a crazy binge toward thee end of the week . This had been going on for 8 months . Im 19 percent bf and I just want to see my abs already . I workout everyday . Gym twice a day sumtimes . 30 min of cardio everyday . Ive been doing this EVERYDAY for 8 months and because of my binging ive seen nooooo progress . Im so stressed I cry everyday about this . For the fact that I work soooo hard but binge then kill my process . Gettng to the point were I really might just quit guys . Im in my junior yr of college . I have ONE more year and I want my dream body by senoir yr . Someone motivate me . Tell me SOMETHING .. ANYTHING to keep me from quiting . Thank you

Do you have specific days when you binge? If so, try filling those days with something, anything, to replace sitting alone (presumably) and stuffing face. It can even include a healthy dinner out with friends. Or join a club or activity of any kind you like, just get yourself out and about and social during the times you binge, and don't come home until you're too tired to do anything except fall in bed and sleep.

I would suggest avoiding activities that include more than one small alcoholic drink, however. It's very easy to replace one binge with another, and you don't want to go down that road.
  • Brandonalex15
    Options
    Bump
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Bump
    You've already got lots of good advice and your diary's still closed.
  • chelsea801
    Options
    I've been there too. Extremely frustrating. Then one day I was just mentally stronger to say, "I can have that, but I don't want it"
    I wish I could tell where the shift came from, to finally have the strength to say no to myself. Eating yourself sick, not caring about the consequences while doing it - you just have to say no at some point. There is no such thing as one bite, at your stage. Once you take that bite, it's already over. It's a gateway bite. So just don't do it.

Or do. Own it and be happy today with who you are. Even when you lose weight, you're still the same person underneath that skin.

One way or another, you just have to decide.
  • nigelwood3
    Options
    Someone motivate me . Tell me SOMETHING .. ANYTHING to keep me from quitting . Thank you

OK, I will. Sure fire motivation, but only for those brave, stupid and/or desperate enough to use it. I have once done something similar so I'm speaking from experience.

1.) Weight yourself and pick a reasonable, not overly ambitious target for the next fortnight.
    2.) Work out how much spending money you have this month. Spare money, not running costs. Money you can risk.
    3..) Find someone who is friendly, trustworthy and wants to help you. Not on here, in real life. Partner, sibling, best friend are good choices here.
    4.) Tell them that you want them to hold 50% your monthly spending money until you meet your weight goal for this fortnight with them witnessing the weight in. If you don't meet your goal the money is theirs. If you do meet your goal 5% is theirs for helping.
    5.) Hand the money over.
    6.) See how much you want it back.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Gettng to the point were I really might just quit guys.

Well...to be honest...if you've been binging for 8 months there isn't anything really to "quit", as it doesn't sound like you've actually started yet.

You're not lacking motivation - you're lacking discipline. And since you've already demonstrated through your workout routine that you do actually understand discipline, it means you're making a choice to binge.

Figure out why, and you'll nail it.

Good luck!
  • Jfox2014
    Jfox2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're getting upset about this to the point of crying on a daily basis, I think you need to talk to someone in the psych field. It seems like your body image is really messing with your head.

Take advantage of the resources available to you at college. I don't know what those are at your specific college, but I know mine has psychological counseling services built into our student fees and a registered dietician on staff. There's also personal training available at our gym, though that comes with a price. Those resources will not be as readily available after you leave college, and the people at colleges are generally experienced at working with young adults.

Seconded on the sentiment that it's hard to know what you could change without seeing your diary, but it sounds suspiciously like you're trying to restrict yourself to a number of calories that's too low, which is leading you to binge.

You definitely need a change, but it's hard to say what without more specifics.

Ditto!