The Pond of Gold Analogy: Why Strength Training is Important

Options
geekyjock76
geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
For many people, scale weight is the only metric of progress that matters. In this scheme, preservation of lean mass is often overlooked - which results in even more work and time done to get the desirable physique even when goal weight is reached. As a former personal trainer, many women came to me with the goal of "looking toned." To accomplish this "lean" appearance, one must understand that relative preservation of muscle mass is absolutely essential.

This simple graphic demonstrates the outcomes of two intervention strategies: (A) caloric deficit with strength training (with cardio being optional) vs (B) caloric deficit alone or with cardio.

v9xjo.png

Imagine you have a 10 ft deep pond whereby the upper half is filled with water and remaining 5 ft with gold. Your goal is to remove enough water so that the gold becomes visible from the surface. Translated into body composition terms: you are to reduce enough fat mass so the underlying muscle tissue becomes visible. .

In scenario (B,) more total volume (weight) was lost. However, because a significant amount of gold (muscle) volume was lost, its visibility from the surface (skin) hasn't been observed. In other words, the goal of a "toned" appearance was not accomplished.

In scenario (A), less total volume (weight) was lost. However, because a maximum amount of gold (muscle) volume was kept, its visibility from the surface (skin) has been observed. In other words, the goal of a "toned" appearance was accomplished.

Granted, there is a lot more to preservation of lean mass than simply engaging in strength training. For instance, assuming a reasonable and appropriate caloric deficit along with adequate protein intake is also a must. Even within the scope of strength training, training volume and intensity must be set in a progressive manner.

I won't go into detail regarding all of above, since there are multiple resources on the site, but I wanted to offer a graphic as to why strength training should be incorporated in every intervention when possible because a lot of people will reach their desirable goal weight but still feel dissatisfied with the results. The reason was that their issue all along was one of body composition rather than body weight.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later because you always have great info.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For many people, scale weight is the only metric of progress that matters. In this scheme, preservation of lean mass is often overlooked - which results in even more work and time done to get the desirable physique even when goal weight is reached. As a former personal trainer, many women came to me with the goal of "looking toned." To accomplish this "lean" appearance, one must understand that relative preservation of muscle mass is absolutely essential.

This simple graphic demonstrates the outcomes of two intervention strategies: (A) caloric deficit with strength training (with cardio being optional) vs (B) caloric deficit alone or with cardio.

v9xjo.png

Imagine you have a 10 ft deep pond whereby the upper half is filled with water and remaining 5 ft with gold. Your goal is to remove enough water so that the gold becomes visible from the surface. Translated into body composition terms: you are to reduce enough fat mass so the underlying muscle tissue becomes visible. .

In scenario (B,) more total volume (weight) was lost. However, because a significant amount of gold (muscle) volume was lost, its visibility from the surface (skin) hasn't been observed. In other words, the goal of a "toned" appearance was not accomplished.

In scenario (A), less total volume (weight) was lost. However, because a maximum amount of gold (muscle) volume was kept, its visibility from the surface (skin) has been observed. In other words, the goal of a "toned" appearance was accomplished.

Granted, there is a lot more to preservation of lean mass than simply engaging in strength training. For instance, assuming a reasonable and appropriate caloric deficit along with adequate protein intake is also a must. Even within the scope of strength training, training volume and intensity must be set in a progressive manner.

I won't go into detail regarding all of above, since there are multiple resources on the site, but I wanted to offer a graphic as to why strength training should be incorporated in every intervention when possible because a lot of people will reach their desirable goal weight but still feel dissatisfied with the results. The reason was that their issue all along was one of body composition rather than body weight.

And in other news the Titanic has sunk
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Nice, simple explanation. Like it
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Nice illustration. Thanks!
  • Jfox2014
    Jfox2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks!
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Great for visual learners, and exactly why I've been doing body weight resistance training. Thanks!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Very nice analogy.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Great post, validates what I am doing. :flowerforyou:
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

v9xjo.png

And in other news the Titanic has sunk

There's too many people who are not aware of this, especially among women.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    awesome. thank you
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Full of awesome as always, my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Count me as one of those that didn't get for a long time. I'm grateful for members like you who keep putting it out there, even though for some it's old news, there is always that one lurker who may have an aha moment today. :flowerforyou:
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! (((hugs))) I have to show this to someone. It makes so much more sense than what I was trying to explain to him.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Nicely stated. Graphic depiction is great. Will be sharing!!
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    Bump (because I need reminding).

Thanks for posting - this is really helpful to a newbie like me :smile:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is a fabulous analogy! Love it and more people need to read this!