Thanksgiving things I've learned

Options
Thanksgiving is a holiday based around family, food, and home.

Over the last 4 years, I've had some tense moments worrying about food
and how thanksgiving could be a destructive force in my changed life. I've
since gotten over most of those hangups, and in the process have learned
a few things about my nutrition, food, and rules to live by. Now I'd like
to share them with you, to help put things in perspective. As a side note, I have never
counted calories on thanksgiving, but last year I did acknowledge what I ate, and as
such felt better the next day than I have in a long time about it.

First thing to remember. IT'S ONLY ONE DAY. Remember that, nobody became
fat in one day, you can't put 10 lbs of fat on your body on thanksgiving,
no matter what you may think, it's not going to happen, so even if you do go
off your diet for the day, it's not the tragity you may think it is. What CAN
ruin your diet is the two weeks of stress leading up to it. Unreleased tension
in the body is a killer. Stress releases cortisol, fine in an energetic situation
where your body needs more energy (like a hard workout, or running from a big
scarey sabre toothed tiger), but when we stress without the accompanying work,
the energy released has to go somehwere, and in most cases it's stored as fat.

Second thing to remember. There's no reason to horribly deprive yourself on that
one day. Turkey (especially roasted) is healthy (as long as you skip the skin), and
a little bit of gravy won't kill you. Just make sure you eat slow, giving your body
time to register when you are satisfied. Tread lightly on the food that you aren't
sure about, but don't completely remove them as options. If the sweet potatoes have
marshmellow and butter, ok, just have a little less of them. If the rolls are white
flour, no problem, break one in half. Cranberry sauce should be eaten in small
amounts, it's extremely high in sugar and has essentially no fiber, so be wary.

Third thing to remember. Eat the healthy food first, try to become mostly full on the
things that are good for you. That way you don't overindulge on the really (calorically)
expensive foods. That doesn't mean don't eat the "good stuff", just hang back a few
extra minutes on those, give your body 10 minutes to react to the good food, then go
for the other stuff.

Fouth thing to remember. No matter how much you exercise the day before and the day
after, that doesn't absolve you from eating healthy. Remember, even on Thanksgiving,
food is fuel, not comfort. Make the day about family and love, not about food.

Fifth thing to remember. When you are done, clear your plate. Don't sit there talking with
food in front of you. Many people will subconciously pick at food, whether they want it
or not. These calories add up.

Sixth thing to remember. 1/2 your deserts. Don't deny yourself if you REAAAAAALLY want that
piece of pie, just take 1/2 a serving, it still tastes just as good, trust me. And eat slowly,
try to taste every bite, you'll be surprised how quickly your body becomes satisfied if you do
things slower.

Seventh thing to remember. No matter what someone else makes, it's your choice to eat it,
don't remove the responsibility. Also don't let others pressure you into eating things you don't want,
be polite, smile, and refuse. Sometimes you must absorb the innuendo, subtle jabs,
and inquisitive looks from others who are surprised at your new resolve. Take that as a positive.
Lets not kid ourselves. People wouldn't be surprised if we'd always eaten healthy. Acknowledge that
and understand it from their perspective. Choose to be happy about your better choices, don't be offended
by others surprise. Judge the situation, if you feel that those people can be adult about your choices,
by all means, talk with them about it. Otherwise, smile and say "no thank you". You are the only one
who needs to justify your choices, nobody else. If it offends someone that you don't want to eat something,
that's their hang up, not yours. Just be nice about it. Maybe compliment the smell or how it looks, but above all,
refuse it if you know you should!

Last thing to remember. DON'T LIE TO YOURSELF. If you ate badly, acknowledge it, learn from it,and move on. You aren't going to solve anything by being upset withourself. Control those emotions, channel them
into something positive, maybe tomorrow's workout (hint hint). No matter what you do, take knowledge
away from the day. Hindsite may not help you today, but it will help you tomorrow. If you let it. The most important thing we can be is aware, food should be about nutrition and health, not about crushing unwanted emotions, if you acknowledge and accept your eating habits, you remove the power they have over you, and allow you to do a better job in the future.

hopefully this helps someone out there.

-Banks

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! :)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. This is such a reasonable approach to Thanksgiving. I was a little worried on how I was going to handle the day but you just made my life easier:flowerforyou:
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    Very well said! Thats exactly how I've been planning on attacking the approaching holidays. I see so many people here getting stressed out about it.

Thank you for posting this.:smile:
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can't decide if I am going to try and track my calories that day or just start the day off with a flat "4000 calories" entry and be done with it. lol I can eat 3200 calories of pecan pie!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I need someone to whisper those things in my ear while I'm eating on Thursday! Thanks for the rational thinking...this time of the year is when I ALWAYS regain all that I've lost and it is NOT happening again. I will be in control of what I do and do not eat this Thanksgiving.

Best of luck this holiday season focusing on the family and not the food.
  • punkinsmamababy
    Options
    This was such wonderful advice! Sometimes you know what you have to do or can do once in a while but hearing that it's okay, within reason, from somebody else that is on the same journey helps. Thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I JUST posted a blog about this! There are too many people worrying about whether or not to log their calories or how to avoid all the food!! Just be sensible!! Thank you for the great post!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I JUST posted a blog about this! There are too many people worrying about whether or not to log their calories or how to avoid all the food!! Just be sensible!! Thank you for the great post!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I really needed this...
    I went to a BBQ Sunday and got a lil down on myself for not sticking to my plan......hopefully I can take all this in and remember it during the upcoming holidays
  • iampam654
    Options
    thanks for the advice!
    I recently read in a magizine the best and worst dips, pies, and drinks you can have on thanksgiving I'd like to share while we're on the topic of thanksgiving.

Dips
    Best: Hummus, Bean Dip, and Guacamole
    Worst: Crab Dip, Spinach Artichoke Dip, and Brie. Basically anything cheesey and fatty

Drinks
    Best: Apple Cider, Pomegranate Martini, and Champagne
    Worst: Chocolate Martini, Mulled Wine, and Eggnog. These drinks all contain a lot of sugar

Pies
    Best: Pumpkin, Apple, and Lemon Meringue
    Worst: Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cherry, and Pecan. Again, a lot of sugar. And while all pies require sugar, tart fruits like cherrys need more to sweeten them up

I was happy a came across this. I was just gonna make an apple and chocolate cream pie but I'm thinking about swopping those out for a lemon meringue (which is healthiest of the 3) that I can enjoy and one of the others for everyone else to enjoy as well. I also think I will find a good and healthy bean dip to make as well because it can be eaten with chips or veggies.
  • karlamw
    karlamw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much for sharing this :))):flowerforyou:
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    That really does help! I was a little worried, but think I am going to enter a quick calorie amount and move on! I have behaved and not gone over my calories since Labor Day.

:noway: I will also spend the whole day after on my feet shopping so I think that will help...LOL
  • TTLee
    TTLee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This was great! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely keep your tips in mind and allow my self to "responsibly" enjoy my Thanksgiving. ;-)
  • treetz1979
    treetz1979 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

About 40days ago, when I joined MFP, I instantly worried about Thanksgiving. I have went from not counting anything at all and allowing myself a day of crazy to this post, officially. I think I am going to keep track of what I eat, but just not deprive myself. I HATE that feeling of overeating, bloated, guiltiness, so I am going to really try to remember what that feels like when I sit down at the family feast!
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Fouth thing to remember. No matter how much you exercise the day before and the day
    after, that doesn't absolve you from eating healthy. Remember, even on Thanksgiving,
    food is fuel, not comfort. Make the day about family and love, not about food.

Awesome advice! This one really hit home for me.

Thank you.
    ~S
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Great post as usual Banks! I also find that if I work out during the day before we eat the big meal I'm feeling healthy and work harded to be careful to not stuff my face, but if I do eat a bit too much the workout will help me burn it off :bigsmile:
    My family also goes for a family walk after dinner, whoever is there, usually about 8-10 of us will bundle up and all go for a walk, it helps get rid of the tired full feeling :drinker:
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post!! Thanks for the pointers!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm not stressing, but this will be a good reminder - I'll revisit it on Thursday. Mainly I don't want to eat too much and feel physically miserable. I suspect there will be a lot of those kind of posts.... from people whose bodies can't handle the overload anymore. I don't want to be in that crowd!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    thanks for the kind words guys. I'm giving this a nudge today since we are close to T-Day and maybe a few more folks could benefit from it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lest we forget. Bump.