Cutting out soda/beer?

Options
I'm unhappiest with the extra pounds that are stashed in my gut. Has anyone noticed cutting out soda or beer to make a significant difference in this area? I made the switch to diet soda, but I'm looking for input before taking it a step further because I do love my coke and some beers now and then.

Replies

• sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am just going to pop in here to ask why people keep telling me to STOP drinking diet. Not cut down (As I went from 2 cups to 1 cup a day), but cut it all together. They say it will keep my fat. Why? Even though I drink it everyday, I still get my water in.
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cut Diet Coke this year. I replaced it with sparkling water. And I've cut beer too. Instead of a beer at night, I drink hot tea.

BUT, the biggest difference that I've seen in my body was the cutting of grain and sugar.... Now that will get rid of the extra pounds for sure!
  • Thegirlhasmoxy
    Options
    If you drink diet soda, your body senses the sweetness and expects calories and sugar to arrive.....the theory is that, when the calories don't arrive, it messes with your body's ability to sense how many calories it needs. You're also more likely to develop diseases and metabolic syndrome than someone who doesn't drink soda (eg. Health wise it's pretty much the same as non-diet soda).
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you drink diet soda, your body senses the sweetness and expects calories and sugar to arrive.....the theory is that, when the calories don't arrive, it messes with your body's ability to sense how many calories it needs. You're also more likely to develop diseases and metabolic syndrome than someone who doesn't drink soda (eg. Health wise it's pretty much the same as non-diet soda).

But calories do arrive, as long as you eat with it. And why? Where are you getting this information from?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

"Health wise it's pretty much the same as non-diet soda. . ." except for the lack of calories and sugar.

In my experience this is wholly untrue. I drank diet soda all through my weight loss and I drink it now in maintenance. Since transitioning to maintenance, my hunger signals have actually started reporting fairly accurately and appropriately- even with varying activity levels my hunger matches approximately what I need. If I overeat one day, I'm less hungry the next day, etc. I drink diet soda almost every day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Losing your fat will make a difference in your gut.

Sorry, lassy. Cutting a class of a foodstuff won't make any difference.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I am just going to pop in here to ask why people keep telling me to STOP drinking diet. Not cut down (As I went from 2 cups to 1 cup a day), but cut it all together. They say it will keep my fat. Why? Even though I drink it everyday, I still get my water in.

I think because some people are uncomfortable with drinking a substance that turns into something a little effed up in their gut. Love the urban legends that they will turn into embalming fluid in your stomach.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed weight loss when I cut out soda. I just stopped drinking soda because its too sweet and I hate the bloated feeling it gives me. But I'll still drink beer, since after one bottle, I don't care how bloated I am.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Soda = Liquid Sugar (even diet)
    Beer = Liquid Bread
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you have 20 or so lbs to go, just focus on your calorie deficit.

If you find your losses stop or stall for a month or two, eat at your maintenance calories for a while and then readjust your deficit.

Diet Coke is fine. I drink it all the time (that or Coke Zero) and it hasn't stopped my fat loss.
  • Jrk_fitness
    Jrk_fitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in the end. You can have 1 or 2 beers a night if you plan your diet that way. But focus on getting in your fiber and micronutrients first. I suggest eating a healthy diet for 80% of your calories and then you can have that treat in moderation.

https://www.facebook.com/JrkFitness
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you drink a day. Say you drink like 5 sodas a day at about 200 calories a soda thats 1k calories you are just drinking, not even counting what you ate. But if you ate exactly the same, but cut out the those sodas, then yes it will really matter compared to someone who only drinks a soda or two a day. Diet isn't really that great for you because of the aspartame in it. I stopped drinking soda and changed it for water and I feel a lot better. It is really just the AMOUNT you drink.