Side hip pain from running on a treadmill

Options
Hi everyone...about 3 days ago I did 2 miles on the treadmill and by the end of the day I had this acute pain in the side of my right hip (right where my thigh meets my hip). It's come and go and it only bothers me occasionally when walking. It seems to happen if I'm standing and lean to the right a little or take a side step to the right. It's pretty painful when this happens. Any ideas of what I can do for a recovery? I'm not even sure what this injury is called.

Replies

• caraherch
    Options
    I've had this often over the years and also always in my right side. I found switching to the elliptical was really helpful as it forced me to balance out how much I used each leg as well as taking the pressure off your joints of course. At any rate, it can be an alternative to the treadmill until you're feeling better.
  • momontheg0
    Options
    Hi! New here. I recently went to a podiatrist for the same thing, and other issues. They did a "gait study" and determined that my hips were weak. Basically what that means is I need to stretch and strengthen them more. You can go on webmd.com and get some great, simple stretches to do before and after your workouts. I also have been changing up my exercises and need to do more strengthening.

Just the exercises changes and stretching has made 95% of my pain go away. The other 5% is from when I overdo it or skip stretching.

I hope this helps you!
  • momontheg0
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi! New here. I recently went to a podiatrist for the same thing, and other issues. They did a "gait study" and determined that my hips were weak. Basically what that means is I need to stretch and strengthen them more. You can go on webmd.com and get some great, simple stretches to do before and after your workouts. I also have been changing up my exercises and need to do more strengthening.

Just the exercises changes and stretching has made 95% of my pain go away. The other 5% is from when I overdo it or skip stretching.

I hope this helps you!