I can't eat all these calories

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that 92 calories worth of Salmon FILLS YOU UP???? Are you weighing your proteins becuase 4oz of Salmon is roughly 200 calories so you are telling us that 2 oz of Salmon is filling!!!!!! I think you need to take an honest look at the foods you eat and your relationship with food. I have no problem hitting 1400 calories in a day and its never in a way I feel stuffed.

yeah...I was pretty much going to say this...and two egg whites? Really having a hard time with two egg whites being so filling. By the by, just eat two whole eggs and boom...150 calories or so.

Also, if you're doing low fat/no fat everything then knock it off. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat and is essential to your health. Dietary fat helps regulate your hormones and is essential to proper brain function and nervous system function among other things. 20-30% of your calorie intake should be coming from dietary fat for proper nutrition.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that 92 calories worth of Salmon FILLS YOU UP???? Are you weighing your proteins becuase 4oz of Salmon is roughly 200 calories so you are telling us that 2 oz of Salmon is filling!!!!!! I think you need to take an honest look at the foods you eat and your relationship with food. I have no problem hitting 1400 calories in a day and its never in a way I feel stuffed.

Not everyone is built the same way internally and externally, so yup I do find that 92 calories worth of salmon fills me up. I dont know how or why, which is why I posted this..

My relationship with food is a healthy one - I do like a treat once in a while like anyone else.. but in general, my eating habits are fine. I just want to know the consequences of eating below the requirement, because that's what's happening with me naturally.

The consequences are losing fat+muscle ......as opposed to losing mostly fat.

Losing weight slowly (small deficit) + eating lots of protein + strength training......is how you retain as much muscle as possible while eating at a deficit.

Think of your protien goal as a minimum.....concentrate on that. Then get enough fat.....egg yolks, olive oil, avocado, nut butters, nuts. These calorie dense foods have small portion sizes.

Thank you :) my protein goal as a minimum? Not quite following you there..!

MFP gave you a protein goal to go with your daily calories. If you are under your calories, you are likely under your protien too. But, what I mean by your goal as a minimum......Let's say you are AT your calorie limit for the day.....but over on protein.....that's fine.

Lots of people actually over ride MFP's recommendation & increase the "default" daily protein goal.
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    I dont use that though, Ive been using the TDEE method so far!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Same here. I always find these threads hard to believe but it might be just me, who has been a big eater all my life...
  • rk_19
    Options
    Idk I think it really just depends on the person, genetics, predispositions, lifelong habits etc..
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Idk I think it really just depends on the person, genetics, predispositions, lifelong habits etc..

I agree, but ya know, sometimes, it's hard to visualize since I have never been there. :flowerforyou:
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My TDEE tells me I should be eating 1,800 calories per day to maintain my weight and below that, but not under 1,400 calories, to lose weight. I'm 5"3 and 51 kgs and Im trying to lose body fat (sort of a skinny fat situation here), but I find it hard to eat that many calories per day. For example, the I eat 92calories worth of salmon that really fills me up, or 34 calories (2 egg whites) or green tea (no calories) or a seafood salad (175-275 calories, depends). All these foods really fill me up.. but they don't really reach 1,400 or even 1,200 (which is the standard requirement for women) calories per day. I dont know what to do - eat beyond my hunger or continue to eat these foods + exercise...?

you didn't get extra fat on your body by not eating enough calories, so I'm pretty sure this wasn't the problem before. You don't have to eat "healthy"and "clean" all the time, everyone's definition is different. So have a slice of pizza, some avocado, cheese, nuts, anything.

Also 98cals worth of salmon is 47grams of salmon, not even 2oz, that's a portion the size of half a dollar bill. You sure this is your portion size?
  • rk_19
    Options
    My TDEE tells me I should be eating 1,800 calories per day to maintain my weight and below that, but not under 1,400 calories, to lose weight. I'm 5"3 and 51 kgs and Im trying to lose body fat (sort of a skinny fat situation here), but I find it hard to eat that many calories per day. For example, the I eat 92calories worth of salmon that really fills me up, or 34 calories (2 egg whites) or green tea (no calories) or a seafood salad (175-275 calories, depends). All these foods really fill me up.. but they don't really reach 1,400 or even 1,200 (which is the standard requirement for women) calories per day. I dont know what to do - eat beyond my hunger or continue to eat these foods + exercise...?

you didn't get extra fat on your body by not eating enough calories, so I'm pretty sure this wasn't the problem before. You don't have to eat "healthy"and "clean" all the time, everyone's definition is different. So have a slice of pizza, some avocado, cheese, nuts, anything.

Also 98cals worth of salmon is 47grams of salmon, not even 2oz, that's a portion the size of half a dollar bill. You sure this is your portion size?

I wanna do that but Im scared eating unhealthy will adversely affect the entire process and I wont lose or Ill put on more weight.
    No, it's a bigger size than that for sure, its like 2 dollar bills, but the packaging says its that many calories... :/ and its a good quality company so i doubt theyd lie
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I wanna do that but Im scared eating unhealthy will adversely affect the entire process and I wont lose or Ill put on more weight.
    No, it's a bigger size than that for sure, its like 2 dollar bills, but the packaging says its that many calories... :/ and its a good quality company so i doubt theyd lie

Like AmyRebeccah above me said, their number can be referring to a complete different size than one fillet in there. Do you own a digital kitchen scale? If not then buy one, they are like $20 and it will help you estimate correctly not only meat, but veggies, sauces etc. Big difference. 2 dollar bills worth of salmon could be anything from 6-10oz. And suddenly you're off by a lot.

Once you have the scale you may find out you are already eating the appropriate amount of calories, and that may be why you feel fill up :)

As for working out, I also second the protein recommendation, for your height and weight about 90g minimum is good. This is to help you with the muscle. However if you want to look leaner, you may find you will need to eventually start eating at or above maintenance, so that you can build some muscle. this is what makes you look lean. Don't worry, as a girl it will be impossible to get bulky. But even though you may eventually weigh more, you will look slimer. 1 pound of fat has bigger mass than 1 pound of muscle, so you see what I mean.

Good luck!

P.S. having pizza or anything else within your calories and while hitting your 90g goal of protein is not unhealthy and will not make you gain weight or get fat. It may increase your weight for the next day or 2 as the sodium in it will cause you to hold on to water, but that's about all.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the lower calorie version of things, for example egg whites vs. eggs. Eat the whole egg. It's good for you and you will at least double the calories. The whole cholesterol thing with eggs has been debunked if that's what you are worried about and the yolk is where most of the nutrients are.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Are you looking at the serving size of this package as well? That is one of the key things of reading labels...even things that seem like they are packaged for a single serving are often marked as "servings per container: 2" or 3 or more. Always check this part of your label.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

You're probably looking at calories per serving of salmon (meaning calories per 2 oz). That's not the whole package. My guess is the entire salmon filet is closer to 6 oz, or aobut 300 calories according to your calorie count.

If that's how you've been counting your calories, my guess is you're eating a lot more than you think.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know how the OP feels. I was looking at my Net Calories report and I'm way behind. I am way more than satisfied.

The only time I seem to gt close is if I go out to eat and have a beer.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Almonds & other healthy nuts are high in calories but good for you. Avocados are another one. Try foods like this to help you get there.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Same here. I always find these threads hard to believe but it might be just me, who has been a big eater all my life...

I used to be a big eater but over the past year, I eat a lot less than what I used to. The main thing I gave up was snacking - chocolates, crisps, cakes etc. and combining it with exercise. I don't even remember how I used to eat before but glad I stopped.

Anyway I'm also increasing my calories and it has been taking a bit of toll on my body (feel lethargic after a meal). Gradually increase it will be my advice, instead of adding two snacks straight away, add one snack after a meal each day then add another the next week to boost your calories a bit. There's a lot of ideas I recently got peanut butter, crackers, jam, peanuts, fruit...