Starvation Mode..

Options
Will eating constantly throughout the day(until you are satisfied) but still considerably below 1200 put your body in starvation mode?

What effects does "starvation mode" actually have on your body anyway?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Which begs the question......how much do you weight, your height and how many calories are you actually consuming in a day?
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What kind of food can you eat all day long and stay considerably below 1200 calories? Styrofoam?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Is that what you're doing planing to do?
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's as much a function of how long you do it for as well as how little you eat. I've been dieting for 3 months now at a deficit of around 1000kcal and my metabolism seems to have slowed. I didn't lose any weight for 2 weeks, then after a carb refeed seemed to drop around 2lbs overnight. Water retention also comes into play and can mask weight loss. My sensible advice would be to take it slow and steady but sometimes that is easier said than done.

Great article on the subject: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/lean-body-mass-maintenance-and-metabolic-rate-slowdown-qa.html

That is a brilliant website to read if you want to get into the scientific side of the subject.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What kind of food can you eat all day long and stay considerably below 1200 calories? Styrofoam?

celery
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about starvation mode, the effect is only minor if it exists at all from what I can tell. What is more important is the loss of muscle mass. If you cut too much then you will lose a load of muscle as well as fat and you will end up skinny, weak and still carrying more fat than you want to . Of course some people ignore fact and just find out the hard way at the end of the day. Its up to everyone but people may as well know what they are doing so when it happens they know why it has happened :-) Good luck