Will coffee jeopordize my weight loss

Options
ok so this might sounds like s stupid question because as you can all see I've lost 20lbs so far and that is without ever cutting out coffee. But it becomes harder to lost weight as you get smaller and I'm pretty sure I only have 10-20lbs more to lose until it becomes unhealthy so I guess I was wondering... to lose those last pounds, would coffee help? Get in the way? Or slow down the progress?? Thank you for all your responses.

p.s. Hi, my name is Krys and I have an addiction to coffee.

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Coffee, by itself, has very few calories. Like single digit calories. If you're smart about the things you add to it (milk, sugar, etc.) and you plan it all into your day, then there is no reason that coffee will prevent you from losing weight. If you're eating at a deficit, you will lose weight.

ETA:: I'm drinking coffee with sugar and whole milk as I type this. :wink:
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you put in it. If you drink it black, then probably not. If you drink venti lattes with whole milk... probably yes.

I would just make sure it fits in your day!

Edited for spelling fail...
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    coffee is the most awesome thing in the world and there is no way that something so awesome would ever jeopardize weight loss

and if I had to give up coffee, there would be a line of mangled coworkers cowering in fear

Edited: I drink mine black with the Torani sugar free syrups -- adding stuff to it is what makes it unhealthy - sugar, creams

coffee by itself is low cal / low everything
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The only drawback of plain old coffee is the side effects of caffeine from drinking too much of it. But generally by itself it doesn't hinder weight loss.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I dont cut out anything!!! It just takes time. As you lose more, you lose slower. If you start cutting things out to speed up the process,that weight will just come back when you start adding that stuff back in. Be patient!!
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned that I ONLY drink my coffee black. But its good to know that it wont effect anything. I thought maybe the side effects would maybe hold me back or something of the sort. Cz I heard that if you drink alcohol it stores everything as fat or something like that. Thank you for all your responses. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight drinking 3 or 4 coffees a day throughout (with low fat milk and no sugar)
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is.. uh.. 3 cals per 8 oz cup?

I don't think it's gonna do much but possibly get you jittery if you overdo it.

that thing you get at StarSucks, however, is not "coffee". It's 3 oz of coffee and 13 oz of crap in a cup.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've been successful in my weight loss many times & I've always kept my coffee habit.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    There are pretty much no calories in coffee. I don't even track mine. If anything, it would help your weight loss. There is a slight appetite suppressing effect to caffeine. And to a very, very small degree, caffeine will raise metabolism. But not enough to make any difference.

And the things you have heard about alcohol turning into fat are untrue. It doesn't work that way. Just consider total calories.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    coffee in itself is super low cal and ive read its great for metabolism

its the cream, sugar, flavor shots etc. that bring the caloric content up.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If coffee prevented weight loss or caused weight gain I would be very fat.

Edit: Willingly
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Nope... Too much coffee just makes you pooh...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Nope... Too much coffee just makes you pooh...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja46oa2ZML8
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Coffee, in moderation, can speed up your metabolism. Though I've wondered if it's enough to really do much. As others have said, it's what you put in coffee that can cause trouble. I drink coffee with a little 2% milk and Truvia. Doesn't seem to be a problem yet.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I recently read some studies on coffee. Almost all of them found no effect or a small benefit to drinking 1-2 cups a coffee per day. There were also results that drinking 3+ cups a day had no effect to small negative effect. In other words, drinking coffee in moderation isn't going to hurt and it might help…drinking extra large amounts of coffee won't have a magical effect.

If you're finding that you're not losing weight like in the beginning of your diet consider the following:
    - Are you consuming alcohol?
    - Can you mix up your exercise routine to shock/challenge your body?
    These are the two things that played roles for me when things leveled off for me.

Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is.. uh.. 3 cals per 8 oz cup?

I don't think it's gonna do much but possibly get you jittery if you overdo it.

that thing you get at StarSucks, however, is not "coffee". It's 3 oz of coffee and 13 oz of crap in a cup.

13oz of crap in a cup being....water? Or do you mean milk?

OP: coffee is a mild stimulant, but as with any stimulants, you get used to it. Other than that - it has no bearing on weight loss.
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Coffee has not hindered me weight loss efforts so far. I drink a 20oz cup of coffee every morning, and a 10oz in the afternoon.

Enjoy..
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the info guys. :)