Kidney Bean Recipes

Options
Hey :-)

So when I did my staples food order I put in losts of kidney beans because I used to make chilli alot. But given i eat it with sour cream and cheese it isn't all that healthy! So I need some other recipes with kidney beans. I did an internet search but there really don't seem to be many.

Thanks

Replies

• lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I mostly use them for chili too. But you could just not use the sour cream and cheese. Or use less. I often make chili (sweet potato chili us currently my favorite), and my portions are large and satisfying, and I use Greek yogurt for sour cream (mostly because I have it in the fridge). I thought I would miss the cheese, but I don't.
  • bohojourney
    bohojourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love kidney beans and rosecca beans mixed together (Nutty flavour) search... show me the curry.com great site.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I actually made a dinner last night with kidney beans. It was one of those "we don't have any groceries, so let's throw random stuff together" recipes.

I cooked 1/2 bag of Morningstar Crumbles (you could do real hamburger or turkey but it would up the calories).
    Heated up the can of kidney beans.
    Cooked 1 cup of brown rice. Added 1 tablespoon of omega-3 margarine.
    Mixed all together and added a slice of reduced sodium colby jack cheese to the top.

For two people it was about 574 calories each. A little more than I normally would eat in a meal, but it was good and filling.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    Blitz for a hummous like dip with garlic, lemon, olive oil and ketchup and spices you fancy. Eat with raw veg.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/red-kidney-bean-dip-recipe.html
    http://everybodylikessandwiches.com/2010/10/red-kidney-bean-dip/

Or blitz into any soup recipe that calls for legumes. Something tomato based influenced by chilli flavourings would work well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicykidneybeansoup_84854
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't use kidney beans much, but I use Pinto beans alot here in Italy--my boys love them. You can buy the dry beans and soak for 24 hours in water, then cook until soft or buy canned beans. Either way once you've got the beans soft get a big non stick saucepan and pour in some olive oil. Saute a garlic clove and minced onion, celery, carrot and parsely for a bit. Add beans,tomatos(can be purried) salt, pepper,sage(secret ingredient--best fresh or I dry my own), and some water. Let cook down slowly, for an hour or hour and half. Usually I use it as a sauce on pasta, but can eat plain or on toast too.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try ff greek yogurt and 2% sharp cheddar cheese on you chili.

I often buy one can each kidney beans, green beans and wax beans and make this salad.

3 or 4 BEAN SALAD
    (OR AS MANY DARN BEANS AS YOU LIKE!!)

3 15 ounce cans GREEN GIANT THREE BEAN SALAD drained
    1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed
    1 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
    ½ red onion, chopped (or more, depends on size of onion)(you can also use a plain yellow onion if you don't have red)
    ¾ cup Splenda
    ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
    2 garlic gloves minced, or squeezed in press
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbs. or up to ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley (fresh)

In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, stir the Splenda, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt together and then bring to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid over the beans. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp. This lasts a long time in refrigerator.

It makes about 12-14 1/2 cup servings

Tortilla Pie
    Servings: 4

12 oz drained canned red kidney beans
    1/4 cup [4 oz can] drained diced green chili peppers
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp oregano leaves
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp hot sauce
    Dash ground cumin
    4 corn tortillas [6 inch diameter each]
    4 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400° F. In medium bowl, using the back of a fork, mash kidney beans to a paste; add chili peppers, onion, and seasonings and mix well. Set aside.

Break each tortilla in half; on baking sheet of sheet of foil bake tortilla halves until crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven but do not turn oven off.

Arrange baked halves, curved side out and overlapping, around edge of 8 inch pie plate; spread kidney bean mixture evenly over tortillas, leaving a tortilla border all the way around. Sprinkle mixture with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and pie is hot, about 15 minutes.

Each serving is equivalent to: 2-1/2 Protein Exchanges; 1 serving Bread Exchange; 1/4 Vegetable Exchange

Per serving: 266 calories, 15 g protein, 11 g fat, 30 g carbohydrate, 620 mg sodium. 30 mg cholesterol.
    WW Points: 4
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Skip the beef and add 2 cans of beans drained and rinsed.

Spicy Beef Vegetable Soup
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/spicy-beef-vegetable-soup.html
    12 servings

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    27 oz spaghetti sauce
    3 1/2 cups water
    16 oz. frozen mixed veggies
    10 oz. diced tomatoes and green chilies
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 tsp beef bouillon
    1 tsp pepper

To cook in Crockpot: Brown beef and onion. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8 hrs.

To cook stovetop: Brown beef and onion on medium –high heat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Nutrition Facts: Per Serving; Calories 157.55; Total Fat 5.75g; Total Carbohydrates 16.46g; Fiber 3.6g; Protein 10.35g
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have an easy recipe for curried kidney beans with potatoes that I posted last year. Here's the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1086563-curried-kidney-beans