Running with your dog

Options
Anyone run with their dog? Any hints, tips, advice, pros and cons? I have no idea where to start.

Replies

• Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just go out and do it around my local park. My house to the park , a full lap around the park, and back home again is 2.3 miles.

Today, I outpaced my dog. He held me back... :-)

Just remember to bring baggies. ;-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If they are not already trained in a heel, it may take some time for them to learn what they expect. I use a command (different ones for different dogs since two are trained to heel, I just use that command), to let them know are going. I also use a command "break" to let them know they can stop, sniff, whatever.

Keep in mind that dogs need to work up to it just like we do. Their paw pads need to toughen up if you are running on pavement. Winter salt can bother them, heat can burn them so keep an eye on the paw pads. Run during the cooler times of day in the summer.

How old is the dog? Larger breeds shouldn't run with you until they are fully grown, 1-2 years depending on breed.

Always bring a bag to pick up the poop. I often stash is somewhere and pick it up on the way back so Idon't have to carry it the whole time. One of my dogs I can get to go before we go, if you can do that, great, but running always makes my lab go no matter what. After a while I learned to tell when he needed to go, so I'lls top and give him the break command.

I never brought water for them.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Off topic but...

This lady had her dog off leash and said "oh he don't bite" as he came wondering over towards me as I was tying my shoe.
    I replied "I do kick!" she then gave me a dirty look... I gave an even dirtier one and said "there is a leash law!" she said sorry and walked away!

I'm not a dog hater (but a bad owner hater) and keep in mind not everyone loves your dog as much as you do.
    - All dogs bite. I have yet to see a dog swallow their food whole like a snake.
    - Just because he has never bitten you doesn't me he won't bite me
    - Don't be one of those people please bring a baggies.

Have a good workout :smile:
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yes. my only suggestion is to pick up a "buddie leash"...... and brace for bunnies, squirrels, and other small animals
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yep - did a 'gentle' five miles earlier with the local running club and my St Bernard/Rottweiler cross.
    And often do anyway - if I'm going to spend time running, might as well get the dog some exercise too.

Obviously you want the dog to be reasonably behaved.

Depending on the dog, it's probably best to start gently for a shorter distance for the dog.

Being a biggish dog and half-St Bernard, my dog can get quite hot in Summer (had to send him in the Thames doing a 12k on a hot day), but colder days it's fine.
  • bahls24
    bahls24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! Love runnig with my Lab Diamond.She keeps up with me without a leash.:bigsmile:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It depends on the breed of the dog and the age. My younger dog has the enthusiasm and energy, but she's not the one I go jogging with. She's just too distracted by every smell. The older dog, a golden retriever, is far better on a leash. I don't take my dogs without a leash unless it's to some dog park where they are allowed to be off the leash.

Don't run when the sun is at its hottest. You have socks and shoes on your feet to protect yourself from the heat, but the poor dog has nothing really. I'd go mid-morning or very later afternoon or evening. I always feel sorry for those dogs who are running with their owners when it's so warm outside. I live in a warm location by the way.

Please pick up the poop. Carry those plastic bags with you to dispose of it.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a half jack Russell and Australian Shepard and she will be 10 months old this month.

Unfortunately she hasn't learned the "heel" command yet and am currently working on it. This seems to be a slow process but worth it. Thanks for all the advice!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    half jack and half aussie! she should be able to run for days! once you get her going and listening she will be awesome! have you tried her with agility? its really fun for the dogs and they learn OB while they are doing it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm training my Boxer to run with me. As the previous poster said, they shouldn't go out for too long until they are fully grown - I think the recommendation is 5 running / walking minutes per month of age.

I am very lucky that we have two fields reserved for (off leash) dog walkers in my area - they are about half a mile round, so running 4 - 6 laps is good for getting her used to running with me. Currently she dashes ahead for the first lap but after that naturally runs to heal.

I also have a great park near me where do 'adventure running' - which is a fancy way of saying running with interval breaks where we jump over / climb stuff or more often do regular circuit training exercises (squats, sit ups, press ups etc). Anyway, thats ideal if you want to take your dog out for longer as she just has a sit down whilst we exercise - so a 30 minute 'run' can be an hours exercise for me.

I has also just ordered a running leash - these are basically belts with a rotating leash attachment...Ideal when we are in areas where she needs to be a bit more 'controlled'. I'll let you know how that goes - I can see her breaking my back if she gets over excited!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Check to see how old before you're supposed to fully exercise your dog - while they're still growing, you're often supposed to restrict exercise as it can cause long term damage.

If you haven't looked at clicker training, I'd suggest you do.
    A basic heel technique can be to only move forward when your dog is close to a heel - if the dog walks ahead, turn around walk a few steps the other way, then repeat.
    When you first start doing it, you're literally going in circles which is frustrating for you, but also the dog, who wants to get moving forward. So they learn to associate getting what they want (moving forward) with being close to you.

When I first got my dog at 2 1/2 he would pully very strongly unless on a halti, now he'll walk or run on or off leash next to me. He still occasionally goes ahead a bit (to the point maybe his rear legs are closer to my legs than his front), but an 'uh' or 'oi' and he remembers where he is, Or if I slow down (similar technique to the circles) he'll take realign with me (again got after the circles, was training that the closer his head was to my legs, the better pace we went at, so the more he enjoyed it.).

My dog's a quite faster learner, but I've taught another 'old' dog (and very stubborn etc) in a similar and had success - though it took a lot longer - just unfortunate the owner couldn't be bothered to carry on the training themself.
  • PetraCore
    PetraCore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has a lot of material on the subject of running with your dogs. Including information on knowing when they are the right age to start running, how to train your dog to be conditioned to running, etc. The below article is a nice starting place.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-with-dogs/see-spot-run
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've tried this and my dog seemed to love it. I however had a real hard time because I am so out of shape and my dog out paced me so much. If I can get myself in better shape to keep up I would continue doing it. I have a chocolate lab and a yellow lab. I tried running with the chocolate lab. Have not yet with the yellow lab.
  • gerberafan
    gerberafan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have just exercised my dog for about 45-60 mins in the bush by where I live. She loves it so much, and so do I. I am unsure what is so much fun, watching her run around being happy, or the exercise I am getting as well.....lol.
    I try to take her to the bush 2 times a week but life dont always let me, so it is when I can otherwise a run around the park does the job. I only like taking her to the bush early in the morning about 7am, when no body is there, as I do not have to have the lead on, yet I carry it with me as well as plastic bags. I find she dont poop when we are not at home but when we get back she makes up for it...........lol. Such a lady she is ;)
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I brought water when taking the dog for a run but I couldn't get my dog to drink from this water bottle contraption thing I had. It was a water bottle that had a plastic piece attached to pour the water into that is like a bowl for drinking.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above tips:

Agree about not asking too much of a dog that's not fully grown (at least a year).
    Also, be REALLY careful in hot weather: dogs overheat way faster than we sometimes think. Overheating is extremely serious. (Google if you need to.)

Last piece of advice: trotting is better than cantering (look up on YouTube if you need to). Trotting is a dog's natural pace and it develops both sides of the body (including the back) evenly. Cantering exhausts a dog sooner, and can lead to him/her favoring the left or right side, which can mess up their backs or legs.

Enjoy your puppy!
  • sneaks
    sneaks Posts: 19
    Options
    Depends on how long for, the breed of the dog and the temperature of where you live.

Dogs don't sweat as we do, they tend to get rid of their excess heat through their paws and their tongue, so they can overheat and in the worst case scenario - die :( so just be really really careful that you're not over stretching him/her and make sure there are rest points with water etc. Never go out in the midday sun.

You should never cycle with your dog because it is too easy to not realise how far/quick you've gone and dogs overheat too easily trying to keep up.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the dog.

I've had a dog that I could run with. Kept to my side. Able to run long distance. Kept folks away from me .

I have a another dog now and she's not good to run with. Not built for distance running. She makes it difficult for me to run with her on leash- just not in snyc. Its irritating to even try to run with this dog. She's good for other stuff though.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    You should never cycle with your dog because it is too easy to not realise how far/quick you've gone and dogs overheat too easily trying to keep up.
    Or, if you've got a brain, you can use it.

Some dogs will outpace cycles and be fine.
    Others could be outpaced by a gentle jog for a few miles.