Any Native American success stories?

Options

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    My father was 1/4 Native American, so I guess that makes me a small part. He and my Mom separated when I was a baby. I have been told he was Sioux, I know that doesn't help much. There are many tribes. I am down a little have been struggling the last year or so but back on track now. As on of the other Cherokee girls said, I have no butt, small legs and gain first in my stomach, also very round face and broad.
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Tekwriter. My face is round too lol. good luck on your weight loss journey. Ive been struggling all year but I keep on trying. I started working a couple months ago and have been eating out alot so I think I need to break that habit of getting fast food!
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread. I'm Paiute and Miwok from Nevada. I'm not a success story yet but I think I've been doing pretty good. Anyone is welcome to add me. ^_^
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Red Lake Anishinabe who lives in Texas. Just getting serious about this, can't wait to add my success story to the list.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Cherokee and Black Foot (along with German). I've been up and down the scale all my life and at the moment down but not to my goal yet. This is an awesome thread, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Mosescat2
    Mosescat2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lumbee here, on both sides (dad is half though)

I'm not a success story yet, but I'm working hard. I try to follow a low carb (i.e. low wheat & processed carbs) high fat and it is working well so far. My family has always eaten very traditional post-Columbian Lumbee/ poor southern PoC food: high in fat and carbs, so I figure I could keep all the delicious bacon fat cooked foods and kick the wheat and sugar and it is working. My maternal grandmother has type 2 diabetes, so I'm trying to find something to keep me on the track away from that.

Feel free to friend me.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I am 1/8 Sioux, not a lot but still make it up to see my great uncles on the reservation. I have made huge progress in going from skinny fat to gaining muscle and adding mass. Still a work in progress though.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    1/2 Apache here. Early in the journey, but it's great to see some fellow Native Americans! Great success stories here :)
  • MzBeckie
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing okay! I quit my exercising/dieting right before the holidays so I better get back into gear again. Would like to meet new NA in here.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Osiyo

Tsa-la-gi here

Loving the success stories. You guys are awesome.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Wow! So nice to hear about all the interesting athletic hobbies & weight loss journeys. É:so tsi ioiánere! (Very good!). I was beginning to think KittyViolet. & myself were the only natives here! lol

Here are some more photos to keep the thread photo-happy:

photo-25.jpg
    My mom & I at my grad ceremony from Concordia University (Montreal). May 2012.

I just have to say your garment is absolutely beautiful! So are you!

Everyone on the thread is doing wonderful! Keep it up everyone!
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! So glad I saw this thread! I dont have any before/ after shot yet because im onlyhalfway to my goal weight, but I thought I would share anyway!

Im 1/2 Mohawk from Akwesasne and 5'2. I have lost 32lbs since October, eating roughly 1400 cals per day and doing 30DS. I, like most of the natives I know have a flat butt and harbor my weight in my lovehandles and tummy. Since my weight loss tho my but is starting to perk up and my lovehandles are almost gone!

Will post before/After pics once I reach goal. Great work everyone!
  • MzBeckie
    Options
    Hey everybody! So glad I saw this thread! I dont have any before/ after shot yet because im onlyhalfway to my goal weight, but I thought I would share anyway!

Im 1/2 Mohawk from Akwesasne and 5'2. I have lost 32lbs since October, eating roughly 1400 cals per day and doing 30DS. I, like most of the natives I know have a flat butt and harbor my weight in my lovehandles and tummy. Since my weight loss tho my but is starting to perk up and my lovehandles are almost gone!

Will post before/After pics once I reach goal. Great work everyone!

Congrats! keep up the good work.
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm from the Gitksan nation in Northwest BC (specifically the Gitanmaax Band). But born in Vancouver and currently live in Germany!

First off, is there a group going yet?? I'd love to be able to check in with everybody!

I'm 5'6, just turned 26 a cpl days ago and I've lost 16 pounds with mfp (weigh-in tmw so hopefully more!). I'm only hoping for a few more pounds lost, to hit about 126 (just to say I did) and then hopefully I'll gain a bit as I start to put on some muscle. I'm also hoping to start lifting heavy if I ever get signed up for a gym, but until then I'm just working out from home with resistance and a cpl dumbells.

I definitely have less fat that I did at 147.7lbs (my highest & SW) but as far as I'm concerned, my body hasn't reached before/after pic worthiness yet! Once I start turning this fat into muscle I'll get some pics going. :)

Feel free to add me, anyone, I'm always happy to have more support, especially those who suffer from a lack of butt!! haha. (thanks mom...)

If anyone knows of a group, let me know, otherwise I can attempt one if ppl are interested in joining! :)
  • chunkyhoney78
    chunkyhoney78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kat not a success story just yet but working on it. I have PCOS and this is the 1st time I have been losing at a good rate since ever having it. I'm down 16lbs but have so much left to go. My main focus is to get out of the 200's once I get there then it will be easier to see the end. I'm Cherokee,Shawnee, Irish and German. always welcome friend request ;)
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not Native, but my daughter is 1/4th Mikmaq (her and my boyfriend's tribe/rez are in Nova Scotia, Canada). I notice the body type everyone is talking about in her dad's family, but on my side we are full of curvaceous women who gain in their bum and hips first. I'm so curious which body type she'll end up with! She has the straight nearly black hair and brown eyes from birth, natural tan (a beautiful light brown kinda color like her daddy), and if I wasn't her mother I'd wonder if she were mine! Haha. we so don't look anything alike :P anywho , I found this post interesting, and you all are beautiful! wonderful work!
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So I dont mean to be a *kitten* starter, but why was the ANY AFRICAN AMERICAN SUCCESS STORIES? thread deleted but nooooo one got sensitive and deleted this one?

things that make you wonder.....
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey! well it doesn't seem like either should be taken down! I did, however, see that post you're talking about after you had posted your question about it here. It doesn't look like it's been removed? or it's been reinstated. Maybe it's even another of the same sort of post haha.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Working on my success story!

I'm Mi'kmaq from Nova Scotia, Canada :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Nice work peeps! Keep us posted - My mother is ojibway but I look more like my father's side of the family (norweigan).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!