uncle bens long grain boil in bag rice

Options
hello, im new and was doing so well, but just ate 125g of uncle bens long grain boil in bag rice and found out it has double calories to uncle bens express long grain rice....i checked the pack too.... anyone know why is this? 125g rice has430 calories, whilst 125g of express long grain rice has 176 calories?? confused...and now im well over my calories allowed today :(

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is one measured in pre-cooked weight and the other measured cooked?
  • yogadeb1973
    yogadeb1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    the boil in bag is uncooked calorific value i believe, and it matches what it says on pack, the express long grain rice doesnt say. its very confusing!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up on the site, and I think the confusion might be about weight. 1 cup of the boil in bag rice (cooked) is 170 calories, which is the equivalent of 47g boil in bag rice dry. Do you have any leftover rice you could measure out in a cup and weigh to find out the cooked weight of one serving?

http://www.unclebens.com/Products/White-Rice/Boil-In-Bag-Rice#.Uu6Xg_2wgb0
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe to punish us because it is pre-measured, simple to prepare, contains lots of roughage, is full of protein and delicious! How could we expect them to make it easy to calculate? :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • yogadeb1973
    Options
    thanks, no i ate it all! i have emailed unlce bens as on their website it states that the long grain boil in bag is 215 calories per 125g! but on the box it says 430 calories per 125g! ill update when they reply. :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://www.unclebens.ca/en-ca/products/boil_in_bag/boil_in_bag.aspx

http://www.unclebens.ca/en-ca/products/uncle_ben_s_long_grain_perfection_rice/uncle_ben_s_long_grain_perfection_rice.aspx

Not sure which express rice you used? There weren't any plain that I could see but you can see the nutritional values on their website
  • yogadeb1973
    Options
    ha true, just seems so weird that the express long grain rice contains half the calories though, im going to advoid the boil in bag!
  • yogadeb1973
    Options
    great me email wont be sent, i guess we will never know. ?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah those drive me nuts. I just use the 'rice long grain cooked' entry in the database.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    that is before you cook it calorie worth. Measure after cooked or get better rice!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm betting it's 1 bag at 430 calories, and 1 bag is NOT 1 serving.
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A typical box has 4 bags and lists 9 servings in total, so each bag would be 2.25 servings. I don't know what flavor you may have gotten but the long grain white rice boil in bags are listed at 170 calories per serving = slightly over 380 cals per bag.
  • yogadeb1973
    Options
    thanks all, yeah it was a bag for 2 people but tbh, i ate the bag no problem....guess i gotta cut down portion sizes too ( and buy express in future!)..i was proper starving though! lol