Potato!!

Options
DamianaKitten
DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
I love -white- potatoes. I don't care what kind of skin, I just love the white starchy goodness. I've tried sweet potatoes a couple times in my life. The first was a casserole, with marshmallows, and... stuff? It was horrible. I've had sweet potato fries/wedges, and they're great.

What are your recipes? I'm looking for variety, since even with white potatoes my standby is either mashed or baked. I want some more variety with my taters, so, what do you like?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe in the food section and don't know how to move it.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Thanks. I went and checked it out. :) I love doing wedges/fries, but I feel like I'm going to get bored with that pretty quick. I have a short attention span with food and am constantly finding myself needing new ideas or I get bored and eat ice cream. lol
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is delicious!

Two Potato Salad with Sour Cream
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html
    Adapted from: Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil
    Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients

1 pound small red potatoes, halved
    1 pound peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons white vinegar
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Dash red pepper flakes

Directions

Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss gently to coat. Let cool to room temperature.

Combine sour cream and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Add to potatoes, tossing gently to coat.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Posted my "recipe" this morning. Really just grilled with a tiny bit of evoo on a George Foreman grill. Tasted awesome!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Grilled Fingerling Potatoes with Rosemary
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 6

Ingredients

1-1/2 lbs fingerling potatoes (I used a mixed bag of blue, red and gold potatoes)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
    Salt, to taste
    Black pepper, to taste
    Red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions

Preheat grill to medium.

Cut potatoes into similar size pieces. Small potatoes can remain whole but larger ones need to be cut so all will cook at the same rate. Combine potatoes, garlic, oil, rosemary, salt and peppers in a medium bowl and toss until evenly coated. Using 18” wide heavy duty foil, layer two 20”x18” sheets on top each other. Place potato mixture in the center of foil and fold making a packet.

Place packet on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Open packet carefully there will be a lot of steam to escape, transfer to a serving dish.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    White potatoes can be so many things: potato salad, hash browns, French fries, potato cakes. You can use them as the crust for chicken. I like making potatoes au gratin or scalloped potatoes. You can also change up what you add or how you make your mash potatoes like: adding any type of cheese like cream cheese, use different milks, add fresh garlic or parsnips. White potatoes are great but specific kinds can make a dish better. For instance, golden Yukon's are great for potato salad and russet potatoes are great for a baked potato. I like cutting up small red potatoes mixing them with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, rosemary, thyme, and basil and then roasting them with some peppers.

I love the versatility of potatoes and how you can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Even as a soup potatoes taste great. Here is a link that I think you would like from Pioneer Woman (this lady can cook):

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/01/perfect-potato-soup/
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple I make regularly that are delicious and easy. Be creative - you can use the just like you'd use potatoes, squash or pumpkin!

Sweet Potato Fries (Baked)
    http://aqmhealthcoaching.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/recipe-baked-sweet-potato-fries-with-smoked-paprika-mayo/

Loaded Baked Sweet Potato (topping options are endless with this one!)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/12/loaded-baked-sweet-potato.html

Turkey (or Chicken) Sweet Potato Chili
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/no-bean-turkey-and-sweet-potato-chili.html
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Spicy Potato Popper snack

1. 3oz potato cooked
    2. Philadelphia Jalapeno Cream Cheese

Microwave potato .. cut slit in center, push on either pointed end to fold the potato slightly open and add 15 Grams of Cream cheese inside the potato.

Small enough to fit in your hand and tastes delicious
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% with you, sweet potatoes with sweet stuff added (marshmallows, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon) are the devil's poop. Nasty.

I love sweet potatoes cooked in savory recipes. Here's a great one from the NY Times' Mark Bittman.

Vietnamese Style Beef and Sweet Potato Stir Fry

1. Quickly stir fry thin slices of beef, then remove from pan and set aside.
    2. Shred raw sweet potatoes. (I like about 150 g potato per 4 oz beef).
    3. Press a few garlic cloves (about 2 per 150g of potato). Dice some green onions finely. Stir into potato shreds.
    4. Stir fry the potato mixture. It won't take long. How long is personal taste. I like them kind of like hash browns.
    5. Add juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tbsp fish sauce, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce to skillet with potatoes and stir in.
    6. Add the beef back in and stir until they're back up to temperature.

Serve with fresh cilantro.
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes take some getting used to, but are really versatile. I can't stand them when they are super sweet with nuts and marshmallows.

I dice a few sweet potatoes into quarter-sized pieces, spritz with olive oil, and toss in cajun seasoning, cumin, chili powder, etc. SO GOOD. You really can't tell that they are sweet potatoes--there's a hint of their natural sweetness but it's not overwhelming.

I eat these cold or hot--great with a bit of yogurt or sour cream.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    I love you all! I'm not particularly creative, so this is wonderful. <3
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% with you, sweet potatoes with sweet stuff added (marshmallows, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon) are the devil's poop. Nasty.

I love sweet potatoes cooked in savory recipes. Here's a great one from the NY Times' Mark Bittman.

Vietnamese Style Beef and Sweet Potato Stir Fry

1. Quickly stir fry thin slices of beef, then remove from pan and set aside.
    2. Shred raw sweet potatoes. (I like about 150 g potato per 4 oz beef).
    3. Press a few garlic cloves (about 2 per 150g of potato). Dice some green onions finely. Stir into potato shreds.
    4. Stir fry the potato mixture. It won't take long. How long is personal taste. I like them kind of like hash browns.
    5. Add juice of 1 lime, 1/2 tbsp fish sauce, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce to skillet with potatoes and stir in.
    6. Add the beef back in and stir until they're back up to temperature.

Serve with fresh cilantro.

Ooops I forgot to mention in step 3 you also need to add some oil to the potato mixture so it fries. Not a lot is needed; I make this all the time and do fine with 1 tsp of oil per 150g of potato (as long as I toss the oil with the mixture before putting in the skillet -- if you put the oil directly in the skillet you will need to add much more to make sure it ends up getting distributed evenly).
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love white potatoes and don't like sweet potatoes either. But to get used to it, I tried making baked chips (in oven) of sweet potaoes with paprika and loved it. You will find the recipe for it on youtube if you want to try it out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like both, but prefer white potatoes. I love them cut in wedges and sauteed in olive oil, I got to try them grilled on the foreman, but my favorite is still just boiled with a bit of salt and some Greek yogurt.
  • kblifestyle
    kblifestyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here is a low fat german potato salad recipe I recently posted on my blog sight. Give it a try. My family loves it.

http://naturalred.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/easy-german-potato-salad/
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I take some potatoes (any kind) and dice them up or slice them really thin. Mix them with some chopped or sliced onion (again, any kind will do). Drizzle some olive oil over the mixture and sprinkle some garlic salt and crushed black pepper on top. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or cook them on the grill the same way.

I have also cooked the potatoes and onions in the microwave for a little bit to soften them up before they go into the oven/grill if I'm short on time.

Also, instead of plain olive oil, I sometimes buy Target's Archer Farms brand of roasted garlic and herb olive oil.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    c16bbf734e3da9a90eafb46d20a1fe82f0fdf079fc6996ba2041d5ab13233586.jpg
  • JodiSheehan
    Options
    Very unhealthy, but so delicious.

Get some potatoes that are a similar size. Slice down the potato but not cutting through the bottom of it, and slice all the way across the top of the potato.
    (I boil mine for 15 mins after cutting before putting into the oven)
    Cut tinfoil to cover each potato separately
    Put a knob of butter into each tin foil pocket, put garlic and herb salt over them and wrap them up in the tin foil
    Cook for approx 45-60 mins in the oven.

The come out all soft and garlicy and buttery.

They are my version of hassleback potatoes if you want to look it up :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious :love:
  • Snarkist
    Snarkist Posts: 37
    Options
    baked in wedges, with lots of sour cream, bacon bits, shredded cheese, green onions...