Options
2»

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Please note:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/terms_and_privacy?with_layout=true

THE SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL SERVICES OR ADVICE; NO DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP
    MyFitnessPal provides the Services for informational purposes only. THE SERVICES DO NOT CONTAIN OR CONSTITUTE, AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS, MEDICAL ADVICE OR OPINION. MyFitnessPal is not a medical professional, and MyFitnessPal does not provide medical services or render medical advice. The Services are not a substitute for the advice of a medical professional, and the information made available on or through the Services should not be relied upon when making medical decisions, or to diagnose or treat a medical or health condition. If you require medical advice or services, You should consult a medical professional. YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES DOES NOT CREATE A DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND MYFITNESSPAL.
    YOU HEREBY AGREE THAT, BEFORE USING THE SERVICES, YOU SHALL CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN, PARTICULARLY IF YOU ARE AT RISK FOR PROBLEMS RESULTING FROM EXERCISE OR CHANGES IN YOUR DIET.

It's a website - use it how you will, but it is not God, your doctor or anything else that will tell you how to live your life -- only you can do that

Editted: I am on a 1200 calorie diet. but I also am monitored by a doctor to make sure that I get proper nutrients - I also had a lot of weight to lose
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The problem is people who eat 1200 but don't eat back exercise calories.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    swanny320:
    Regardless of what anyone says, your body will tell you what you need. If you are like me, when I eat clean, healthy, non-processed food, it's extremely hard for me to reach 1200 calories and not feel stuffed. On the other hand, if I eat absolute **** food, I can knock out 1200 calories in one meal and feel hungry the rest of the day. It's not so much the calories as much as what you are getting out of it. Sure, some people subscribe to calories in, calories out...and that's all fine and dandy...but if your 1200 calories spread out over the course of a day eating healthy, good food then your body probably won't experience hunger or feel deprived. On the other hand, if you murder a Big Mac Value Meal at 9AM, your body is probably going to complain come 4pm.

I don't think the website is suggesting anything unhealthy and also, there are a lot of "experts" on this website. Take everything you read, including my own advice (I'm no expert) with a grain of salt. Everyone loves to be a know it all ;)

Just wanted to say that McDonald's doesn't serve lunch 'till 10:30 AM... so you'd have to wait 'till 10:30 AM to have your Big Mac Attack! ????
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I get that it is likely for new users to misuse this site. It is also likely that they do so unknowingly. General knowledge of fitness is really bad - hence the current problem of obesity and poor fitness in modern society. But discussing the how the modern education system needs to change is a whole other ballgame.

I also understand that MFP has issued statements clearly stating that it's not a medical professional. I'll admit that I didn't go digging through those threads when I first got here and I don't think I'm the only one. But for all that technical, legal absolvement - a quick paragraph - in a place where every user MUST read it (such as filling in your info) stating that the advice of a professional should be sought and that for a weight loss of less than X amount of pounds/ kilos a slower reduction is more successful - might save a lot of users some grief and take the heat off the existing community which time and time again have to reeducate the new guys. I'm starting to see that I've placed this question in the wrong spot and that I should have asked it in the website feedback forum.

I'm not trying to come down on any users here I just don't understand how this is a consistent point of issue when it could be quickly resolved. How many threads exist with people asking about how to get by on a 1200/day diet plan or how they feel like things aren't working? How many times have previous users jumped in those thread and spoke condescendingly to them and assumed that the new guy is going to act like every other misinformed and unsuccessful previous new guy? Why should that even have to happen?
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    I did the 1,000-1,200 calorie a day plan for almost a year. I hit a major plateau after losing 40 pounds. I finally decided that I needed to do some serious research on how many calories I should be eating. I felt as though I wasn't eating enough even though I wasn't hungry. There are multiple factors to consider and I strongly recommend you do research on BMR and TDEE. Once you calculate your real TDEE then lower it by an appropriate amount for you to lose weight (I do 20%). Your body can hit starvation mode. I am walking proof of that. Now that I've upped my calories to 1750 a day, my weight loss has started again. Figure out YOUR right amount of calories, fill them with primarily healthy foods and exercise your butt off. You will see the weight come off.

As far as why MFP sets it at 1200 calories...way too many experts say this is the right thing to do. Which frankly, it'll work for a while but it is not a long term solution. Try my above recommendation and see how you do. You need to recalculate your TDEE every 5-10 pounds lost. Good luck!!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out I'm not worried about me or how I'm doing. I bring this topic up because it seems to happen too often and I see a lot of new people (or misinformed) getting hammered about it. I don't think it's the responsibility of the general user community to do this job.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    There are a million and one problems with this website. I've wondered why they haven't structured something that calculates a sedentary TDEE and allows you to eat back your exercise calories. But I also wonder why I have to hand-type formatting codes for bold and italics. It's like composing emails in PINE.