moderate intensity or high intensity for weight loss

Options
I keep jogging 2km every day on moderate intensity , but I haven't had positive weight loss results this week.

Should I switch to 1 km of high intensity running ? or should I keep doing my moderate intensity cardio?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For weight loss eat at a reasonable deficet...cardio just gives you more calories to eat.

You can't outrun poor eating....or surplus/maintenance eating
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter what sort of exercise you do, it's not really going to affect your weight loss. All you need is a deficit.

You're not going to lose every week, unfortunately weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you'll lose, some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. Also, if you're only weighing once a week, you may have lost during the week then just had a fluctuation the one day you weighed.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    For weight loss eat at a reasonable deficet...cardio just gives you more calories to eat.

This.
  • Cyriacos
    Options

I did fix my diet by a long run , I don't eat fried foods , I eat brown carbs , salads , stopped eating processed sugary foods like cakes and chocolate bars . a typical meal for me is grilled protein with green sallad.

Could be my portions , or my eating hours . I don't know .
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I did fix my diet by a long run , I don't eat fried foods , I eat brown carbs , salads , stopped eating processed sugary foods like cakes and chocolate bars . a typical meal for me is grilled protein with green sallad.

Eating hours don't matter. Portions do. Are you weighing everything you eat and accurately logging calories? You can gain weight eating grilled meat with green salad if you eat enough of it.
  • TheCherryMama
    Options
    Moderate cardio at the same intensity (for women) is bad. Steady-state activities like this devastate the female metabolism. This happens with men, too, but in different ways.The best thing to do is High Intensity Intervals. At a moderate pace you will not loose fat. If anything just stay soft.
    The science:
    Studies—both clinical and observational—make a compelling case that too much cardio can impair the production of the thyroid hormone T3, its effectiveness and metabolism[1-11], particularly when accompanied by caloric restriction, an all too common practice. This is why many first or second-time figure and bikini competitors explode in weight when they return to their normal diets, and it’s why the Jessicas of the world can run for hours every week with negative results.
    T3 is the body’s preeminent regulator of metabolism, by the way it throttles the efficiency of cells[12-19]. It also acts in various ways to increase heat production[20-21]. As I pointed out in previous articles, this is one reason why using static equations to perform calories-in, calories-out weight loss calculations doesn’t work.
    When T3 levels are normal, the body burns enough energy to stay warm, and muscles function at moderate efficiency. When there’s too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism), the body goes into a state where weight gain is almost impossible. Too little T3 (hypothyroidism), and the body accumulates body fat with ease, almost regardless of physical activity level. Women inadvertently put themselves into a hypothyroid condition when they perform so much steady-state cardio.
    In the quest to lose body fat, T3 levels can offer both success and miserable failure because of the way it influences other fat-regulating hormones[22-31]. Women additionally get all the other negative effects of this, which I’ll cover below. Don’t be surprised here. This is a simple, sensible adaptation of a body that’s equipped to bear the full brunt of reproduction.
    http://athlete.io/5343/why-women-should-not-run/
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    2 k is a fairly short run. How long is it taking you?
    Go slower and further some days and faster other days. Vary your routine.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with fried foods, 'processed' foods etc. Meal timing doesn't matter either. But, portion sizes definitely do-weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Period. Doesn't matter what/when you're eating, as long as your staying within your allotted calorie amount. If you're not doing that, then you're not going to lose weight.

You can lose weight eating fast food and chocolate, just like you can gain weight eating chicken and salads-it all comes down to calories, calories, calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with fried foods, 'processed' foods etc. Meal timing doesn't matter either. But, portion sizes definitely do-weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Period. Doesn't matter what/when you're eating, as long as your staying within your allotted calorie amount. If you're not doing that, then you're not going to lose weight.

You can lose weight eating fast food and chocolate, just like you can gain weight eating chicken and salads-it all comes down to calories, calories, calories.

This...just make sure you weigh your food, are accurate with the logging by choosing correct entries and logging exercise and eating a portion back.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Are you measuring and logging everything? If not, there is your problem
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another thing that may be puzzling is that you could be losing some fat weight, but depending on what else you're doing the weight you lose in fat is being offset by weight you've gained in muscle. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Don't go by the scale alone, take critical measurements to see if you're losing in the areas where fat tends to accumulate. Are your pants getting loose? If yes, you're losing weight - it's that simple. Do NOT be a slave to the scale, instead look at yourself in the mirror and see if you're getting positive results. Supplement this with the scale, but no more often than once per week.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    2 k is a fairly short run. How long is it taking you?
    Go slower and further some days and faster other days. Vary your routine.
    This will make absolutely no difference to weight loss. If don't know how many calories you are eating you are unlikely to be eating at a deficit do don't lose weight
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    While running is one of the best ways to lose weight, I would say make sure to change it up. Go hard on some days easy on others. I walked for my first 50 pounds lost and then dropped another 50 by moving to running. I do Cross Fit, I use the Arc at the gym, lift weights and use my bike on the trainer now for winter and outside as soon as the weather is nicer. Oh and starting this week I begin to swim for a triathlon in the summer. I vary my workouts, I do higher intensity, longer duration on some days and then other days are easier. I'll also add, although many already did, that what you eat plays a huge part in this but from the sounds of it you have those bases covered. Hang in there, continue to monitor your food and above all else continue to be active. I know from my own experience that the pounds do come off IF you have them to lose :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale for your food? Maybe you are eating more than you think?

Are you using MFP's NEAT method (in which you eat exercise cals back) or TDEE -20% (which includes exercise calories?)

Are you still losing inches?

ETA: If it is just this week then don't worry about it. Weight loss isn't linear. Give it another 4 weeks.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Don't expect a 2K run to have much of an impact on weight loss. It's about 75 - 100 calories burned. That's a cookie. A small cookie.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I haven't exercised in 2 weeks !! I ate below my calorie goal and I lost 1.5 and 2 pounds respectively ??
    What was the question again ?
  • Cyriacos
    Options
    Don't expect a 2K run to have much of an impact on weight loss. It's about 75 - 100 calories burned. That's a cookie. A small cookie.

For you maybe I'm 250 pounds.