Best strength traing routine for beginners

Options
Hi there!

I'm a 20 year old uni student, female, around 232lbs and I am looking for a good overall strength training routine for beginners. I have access to a full gym and would like some advice on what people think the best programme for me would be. I know a lot of people have been using NROL for women and stronglifts 5 x 5 so I would like to hear your thoughts on them, other programmes out there, and if there are any good free ones on the internet? I have been going to the gym 3/4 times a week and alternating between cardio and free weights but I feel what I am doing isn't very effective and I am not pushing myself with the weights. The main thing I want to achieve from the programme is strength.

Thanks for any responses! :)

Replies

• katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the same! Commenting to remember this thread.

I already do SOME strength training but it is very, very basic...and mostly machines (don't pounce on me :embarassed:). I want to know some better free-weight exercises. I tried Google and Pinterest and could not find much for women beginners (probably looking in the wrong place).
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    NROL4W & Stronglifts are both very good strength training programs. Stronglifts is free and you can find a great summary of the program here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary That link is to the StrongLifts for Women group. There is a lot of good information there, so take a look around. There is also a group for NROL4W that you could check out, that also has lots of good info. You can't go wrong with either program.

You also can't go wrong by reading NROL4W, even if you decide not to follow that program. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe has anything and everything you could want to know about the basic lifts, including the proper form. It's a lot like Stronglifts, but maybe a little more advanced.

Do some research and see which program fits you best. I ended up choosing Stronglifts, because it's very simple. Five basic lifts in 2 workouts that alternate every other day, with 2 rest days.

Good luck, whichever one you choose!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I will 2nd the Stronglift.

I personally haven't read NROLFW but I have heard it gets complicated....

I like the simplicty of 2 workouts alternating with 5 exercises.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is probably the best overall beginner's program. I recommend reading Starting Strength.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is probably the best overall beginner's program. I recommend reading Starting Strength.

Exactly. Go with stronglifts as it will establish a strong foundation for any other program you might do in the future. It also has a limited number of lifts making the learning curve better, along with a very clear progression, and doesn't take huge amounts of time.
  • iameawesomebro27
    Options
    Google "allpro beginner routine" It will get you started been doing it for the last 3-4 months.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'll second stronglifts. Starting Strength is an excellent read for when you want to know more about lifting, the proper form, etc.
  • aishazi
    aishazi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I've downloaded all the info for stronglifts so i'm gonna read all that this week and then i'll also look into the other suggests and read up on them :)

Are the exercises in stronglifts suitible if you haven't got much balance or stability?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Taking the exercises slowly and really concentrating on great form will help you build the balance and stability. Heavy lifting actually does wonders for flexibility as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I've downloaded all the info for stronglifts so i'm gonna read all that this week and then i'll also look into the other suggests and read up on them :)

Are the exercises in stronglifts suitible if you haven't got much balance or stability?

Balance and stability come from the very strength that Stronglifts increases. The vast majority of people with bad balance have just fine balance, but they lack strength. I would say it is very appropriate for improving in that area. The most difficult lift until your strength increases so you balance gets better will likely be the squat. The rest shouldn't cause problems.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've only been using it for a week or so but I'm enjoying bodbot.com. It builds workouts for you, and syncs to your smartphone. It's also very, very customizable.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no best. Do one that you think you think is manageable and can stick to.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm a 20 year old uni student, female, around 232lbs and I am looking for a good overall strength training routine for beginners. I have access to a full gym and would like some advice on what people think the best programme for me would be. I know a lot of people have been using NROL for women and stronglifts 5 x 5 so I would like to hear your thoughts on them, other programmes out there, and if there are any good free ones on the internet? I have been going to the gym 3/4 times a week and alternating between cardio and free weights but I feel what I am doing isn't very effective and I am not pushing myself with the weights. The main thing I want to achieve from the programme is strength.

Thanks for any responses! :)

The best routine if your starting out is to do a very simple one!

First off though 2 things are important - don't over do the cardio and if at all possible don't touch the exercise machines (they do more harm than you think).

My suggestion would for building strength and stamina resistance training twice a week, using body weight only to start with and then maybe a session in between of High intensity cardio (the bike, rower or cross trainer are probably best because they have less stress on your joints compared to pounding out on the treadmill). A period of about 15 - 30 minutes is more than enough.

Then for the real kicker once a week do sprints (again to start with the bike or rower are good for these).

Each workout should be between 15 - 45 minutes depending on your ability and current level of fitness, spending more than time than that would be a good idea.

Make sure you do a go dynamic warm up. Jumping jacks and dynamic let swings are good with some push ups and squats and lungs. Try not to do any static stretching as a warm up.

Always do a good stretch at the end.

Also if you haven't already done it make sure your eating correctly, dietary intake is about 80% of the battle.

Good luck
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Are the exercises in stronglifts suitable if you haven't got much balance or stability?

I have heard the pdf that they supply is confusing for stronglifts. My suggestion would be to follow the link someone posted for you above with a basic breakdown of the 5x5 program, join the 5x5 for women group here on MFP, post lots of questions, anddowload the app if you have a smartphone (search stronglifts). I have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for only 2.5 weeks and already seeing a difference in my body composition, and losing some weight. I am also eating at 1450ish calories. It's such a simple program, that after the first couple days I didn't even feel like I had worked out. Go ahead and start with lower weights though, as they will build up quickly and you will definitely feel it a few workouts in!
    Best of luck!

P.s. Balance will come with form. Start with low weight, and work on form, once your form is down, start upping the weight. If you download the app it will have preset amounts for you to start with, but these can be modified by clicking them and inputting your own number. Remember when they made stronglifts they did not really take women into consideration so the numbers they have there might be a little high for a beginner if you haven't done any prior strength training. Don't feel bad about lowering those to a number you are comfortable starting with. Many of us start with the bar and I have even heard of women using a broom stick to practice form on squatting with before they add the weight.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is the best beginner program out there, IMO, and the book that outlines it and gives exhaustive descriptions of the major lifts is the best investment any beginner weight lifter could ask for.