kettlebells

Options
Anyone tried them? I was looking at buying a groupon for a kettlebell bootcamp. Wanted some input from the MFP world first.

Replies

• tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I was looking at the jillian micheals one
  • paticap
    Options
    I just bought the program on line. They look fabulous, but I just got them and have not looked at the cds yet. I wanted something for the winter months that would give me something to do on inclimate days.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have Kettlebells as apart of my routine.

First thing I'll say is I'm no expert. So before I started I did my research.

As with any exercise, you have to know the proper form to get the most out of the routine without hurting yourself. With Kettlebells as with any weight lifting, there is a chance of injuring yourself so it's really important to know the proper stand and pick up form first.

This was the best recommendation I was given to learn Kettlebells: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#KBs Watch them and take note of the proper stance and posture when picking up/putting down.

I do a routine that come with my set from Target. I bought the GoFit 7 lb and 10 lb Kettlebells (I use the 10 lb). It's only a 25 min workout but it's great for toning AND getting your heart rate up.

Give it a try, I like them and I'm not a real weight lifting fan.

Katie
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Here is another article on how to pick your weight. http://www.ehow.com/how_2271551_choose-kettlebells-workout.html

For me, I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs with a solid build so I started with 10 lbs. I hope to step up to 15 lbs after the new year.

What's so intriguing about the Kettlebells is that you really don't use your arms at all. You build up momentum from the hips by pushing your heals into the ground. It's really fascinating and it took me a while to get that into my head. Once I did, I could feel it in my butt and thighs.

Katie
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love my Kettlebell and the Dvd series I have is the KettleWorx, and it targets all the major muscle groups: Abs (Upper, Lower, Mids and Obliques), Arms (Tri's, Bi's and Forearms), Back, Chest, Core, Legs (Quads, Hams and Calves), Shoulders. There is also a cardio routine that you can perform. I have a 15, 20, 25 and (2) 35lbs kettlebell.

I use quite a few of the routine in stand alone works for both strength and cardio conditioning.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I read a review of Jillian Michaels workout and apparently she doesn't use proper form. Last thing I need is to get hurt.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been doing kettlebells for about a year now. LOVE Them. I use Lorna Kleidman's book, Bodysculpting for Women. I started with a 20 and 25lb weight as I thought the 10 was too light. I've done all three of her programs with these weights, look some time off to marathon train, and am starting the training again.

You will want to wear weight lifting gloves or at least wrist wraps. I get weird bruises in odd places. You do want to do it in an area with a stable floor or floor protection, if you drop one of these it could damage a floor. Also, the great thing is you can easily tell if an exercise isn't going to work and to stop.

I actually was reading on Webmd that calorie burn, if you don't have a hrm to determine it, is about 400 calories for 20 minutes. I do my kettlebell work fast, and totally work up cardio work as well as strength train. I make it pretty intense.

My friends notice right away, my changes in my arms and shoulders and I can see it in my abs.

I started with a 10 minute solutions Kettlebell work out and was very happy with it.
  • MsCyone
    MsCyone Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Good question! I just got the Firm Kettlebell workout and love it the best thing about Kettlebells is you can get a full body workout and cardio all in one and the calorie burn is great, just be sure to use proper form!
  • inguvap
    inguvap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you want to go hardcore, get some KBs from dragondoor and follow Enter the Kettlebell program. You will increase the strength and endurance very fast.
    Padma.
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use the KettleWorx Series. Went to Wal-Mart and picked up my kettlebells.
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I am just getting started with kettlebells. I bough Pavel Tsatsouline's book Enter the Kettlebell: Training Secrets of Soviet Supermen. I really love his writing style and so far, even just the basic moves are kicking my butt.