ugh... gym fail

Options
I panicked at the gym today. We had to work with partners, and we had to have the partner help lift us by the waist to the pull up bar. I hate being touched by strangers, hate it. I panicked, I almost started crying. I am over 40 WTF. Now I am just embarrassed. I really like the trainer that teaches the class but now I can never look at them again. Why do I have to freak out, I can't even just remain calm and suck it up, I wasn't going to be hurt, I just hate hate hate being touched. ugh.

Replies

• pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    'd talk to the trainer and explain about your fear of being touched. I'm sure they will adjust the exercise accordingly, like using a weighted pullup assist machine or have you do lat pulldowns or something else.

Please, dont let this set you back on your journey, you GOT THIS!!!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Just one exercise and one time. Don't let this stop you.
    Talk to the trainer. Ask for alternatives.
    and good for you for going to the gym. It's helping you on your journey!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. Like others said, don't worry about it! I can't get through a single exercise class without "options". The reason doesn't matter. Just let the trainer know you can't do it and either stand aside for a couple minutes or ask for alternatives. Bet the trainer knows you don't like to be touched now, though :P
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You have to be OK with talking to the trainer about stuff like this. If you had a shoulder injury, you'd tell the trainer. If you have an issue with being touched that prevents you from doing an exercise, let the trainer know. It's their job to modify and scale the workout so that YOU are successful.

Keep at it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I panicked at the gym today. We had to work with partners, and we had to have the partner help lift us by the waist to the pull up bar. I hate being touched by strangers, hate it. I panicked, I almost started crying. I am over 40 WTF. Now I am just embarrassed. I really like the trainer that teaches the class but now I can never look at them again. Why do I have to freak out, I can't even just remain calm and suck it up, I wasn't going to be hurt, I just hate hate hate being touched. ugh.

You know what I don't like being touched by strangers either...

It's common...just explain that to the trainer and tell them you thought you could handle it..I am sure they will be fine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Ooh ooh ooh you know what else you can do about your situation? Be a badass and don't need the partner to lift you up. The issue of your not liking to be touched wouldn't even need to come up; just let Mr. Prospective partner know, "I've got this" and bask in your own awesomeness ;-)
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    "I have physical space issues, and prefer not to be touched. I will try to get up there by myself, but if I can't is there another exercise I can do that has the same benefits? Sorry I didn't mention it last time I was here, but it kind of blind sided me, and I got flustered. Thanks!"

That's all you need to say.
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I do appreciate the nice words. ugh though... it is my goal to not need help and I just didn't realize that that was going to happen today, so I was blindsided. I have taken his class before and we have had to do partner work, but no touching was involved. Part of the reason I joined this gym is because I desperately want to get over my fear and just being in the same area as other people I figured was a good start. Thanks. I will keep going and now I know I need to work on my "line" of what I will say when it happens again. I like that suggestion very much. thanks again so so so much.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Needing assistance is completely normal! It's admirable to want to be self-sufficient, but don't stress about needing assistance.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're going to go back! It's always hard when you do something you perceive to be embarrassing, but it's often not a big deal for anyone else.

I think telling your instructor before the next class that you don't want to be touched would help. That way, they know ahead of time and are able to help you modify accordingly when the situation comes up. Don't be afraid to speak up during class either. It's always possible that your instructor could forget in the heat of the moment! :)

Seems like you're pushing yourself slightly out of your comfort zone. That's something to be proud of!