Barefoot Zumba!!

Options
I just bought the Zumba DVD set.....all the great reviews on MFP gave me the push I needed

I am so happy and cant wait to get home and try it.

Would it be ok if I do it barefooted???

I absolutely hate shoes and I know it will be easier for me to jump out of bed and pop in the DVD than to have to think about putting on sneakers....What do you guys think???

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would probably do it barefoot at home. We had someone come to my work and do some classes and one person was always barefoot.
  • jackiearriero1979
    Options
    Maybe not at the begining, but once you get use to the moves it would be easier to try it barefoot. I have been doing Zumbe for 3 months and You definitely need some supportive shoes to do all the moves.
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago and I do it barefoot at home, and in socks at my class. Much easier to move in my opinion!
  • flossicle
    Options
    I go about 3 times a week and really think you should be wearing good trainers, for ankle support and to minimise impact on your feet.. Just my opinion though! Have lotsa fun with ya zumba dvd's..can't wait for them to come out in the Uk!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I should start out with shoes then.... have any of you guys lost alot of weight doing Zumba my boyfriend think its a waste of money.....
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I should start out with shoes then.... have any of you guys lost alot of weight doing Zumba my boyfriend think its a waste of money.....

You will burn quite a lot of calories. I'm not sure how moving, burning calories, and getting your heartrate up - all while having fun - is a waste of money.

FWIW - I want to get the dvds to do this at home as well. I can never make it to a class, but can do this at home.
  • byront42
    Options
    I really enjoy Zumba, and Zumba and walking are my cardio exercises. That's it.

Edit to add: Heck...I'm logged in as my husband right now.... He doesn't do Zumba...and I've lost 33 pounds.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Options

You will burn quite a lot of calories. I'm not sure how moving, burning calories, and getting your heartrate up - all while having fun - is a waste of money.

FWIW - I want to get the dvds to do this at home as well. I can never make it to a class, but can do this at home.

I will try it tonight and see how it goes....I wish there was a class near me they sound like even more fun
  • Sugar_Apple
    Options
    I really enjoy Zumba, and Zumba and walking are my cardio exercises. That's it.

Edit to add: Heck...I'm logged in as my husband right now.... He doesn't do Zumba...and I've lost 33 pounds.

I'm actually walking as well I use the threadmill or Leslie Sansome Walk at Home DVDs when I cant make it to the gym...but progress has been slow so hopefully Zumba will push things into high gear
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You might consider dance sneakers. My wife uses the Capezio Fierce Dancesneaker and it has really helped her a lot. They have a high, but flexible arch, and a smooth pad under the balls of the feet to make it easier to pivot.

Beware shoes with excessive traction as they will grip the floor (especially when you are trying to turn) and put excessive strain on your ankles and knees.

I haven't found suitable shoes for myself yet, so for now I just wrap the front of my shoes with duct tape, which works pretty well, though it does leave your shoes with a sticky residue on them.
    I go four nights a week. It's fun, and it keeps me motivated. It's also a great calorie burn. So yeah ... I'd say it definitely works.
  • byebye200
    Options
    Girl u couldve had mine!.. I bought it MONTHS ago and all i did was the intro ONCE..lolol Terrible for 70 bucks....im the type that needs to get up and get out to work out effectively...:-( im still learning tho..lol....maybe ill try it this weekend..it looks so fun...they also have it at my gym...but back to your question.. i thinks sneakers would be better leverage but if u can manage barefoot then y not??...oohh get some of those tone up shoes...
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I'm at home, on carpet, I Zumba barefoot... In class, sneakers with worn tread (so I can move on the gym floor.)
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I have some really cute pink & white dance sneakers. They are pretty flexible & have a smooth leather area at the sole at the ball of the foot for turning/spinning. I love them.
  • wannbAhottie
    wannbAhottie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started a few weeks ago and I do it barefoot at home, and in socks at my class. Much easier to move in my opinion!

HEY! Thanks for the idea... I have sneakers I wear to class and hate it because they have too much traction, it's hard to do some moves that require twisting. next class I'm going to try SOCKS!!
    I do luv my Zumba!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Adore zumba, its one of the most popular gym classes I go to !

I use the nike (musique) dance range though but puma also do similar, I buy whichever seems to be on offer when I need them.

You'll always be filled with smiles afterwards!
  • MrsRios
    Options
    I have!! I have lost a total of 35 lbs in 4 months doing Zumba : ) Also eat healthy and drink lots of water. My advice to you wear shoes I have twisted my ankle once doing the Samba, LOL. Good luck !!Zumba Rocks!!!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Options
    Girl u couldve had mine!.. I bought it MONTHS ago and all i did was the intro ONCE..lolol Terrible for 70 bucks....im the type that needs to get up and get out to work out effectively...:-( im still learning tho..lol....maybe ill try it this weekend..it looks so fun...they also have it at my gym...but back to your question.. i thinks sneakers would be better leverage but if u can manage barefoot then y not??...oohh get some of those tone up shoes...

Yeah I just fast forward through the intro....to me it was long and boring but it would be good for breaking down the moves...

I just did the 20 min Express and it was fun but to me it was too short....so I plan on doing the 40 min Cardio Party tomorrow

Thanks for all the advice
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I only do Zumba without shoes at home because we have carpet. I do wear socks to help on the steps where you need to slide. I tried shoes once - never again!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Options
    Ok I'm officially a Zumbaholic....

I just tried the Ab workout and I love it....I can feel the burn in all the right places, and I am happy I didnt have to get on the floor

I watched the live party and I cant wait to try that one as well...the thing about it is that everyone in the audience was smiling and looked like they were having so much fun.

I did do the workout barefoot but I plan on using shoes from now on...may be I'll and dance sneakers to my Christmas wish list :flowerforyou:
  • maria_santes
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba for 8 months. I started with sneakers which were no good so decided to wear socks till I slipped badly so was advised by the teacher to go barefoot which is great on a wooden floor. I have now been doing it barefoot for 6 months now. I cannot understand the girls who wear socks as it is dangerous on a wooden floor. Why not try barefoot for a couple of weeks and let me know how you manage. It is much easier.

xxxxx