Need Sole Protein Recipes

Options
My Dr has restricted meats in my diet and recomended Sole for a Protien alternative. Not only have I never heard of it, I have no idea how to cook with it. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's a fish. It and flounder have very similar compositions. Google sole and flounder recipes. Just keep in mind sole is nearly twice the price of flounder when you budget for groceries.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he means the fish called sole? Although that would seem like an oddly specific recommendation, as opposed to "fish."
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sole is a very mild fish. Try baking in parchment paper at 350. It won't take long,10-15 minutes, depending on how large the slices. Then, a light lemon butter and caper sauce can be made. I just make a roux ( butter and flour) and then add a little milk or water. Then, at the end, add some lemon juice and capers, maybe garlic,salt and pepper. You don't need a lot of sauce and can make it with olive oil instead of butter (1/2 and 1/2 is also nice) if needed.
    Another good topping would be various fruit salsas or chutneys. I would think you could even try some orange or lemon marmalade.
    To be honest, I would concentrate on a fattier fish like salmon or tuna. It would be healthier for you in the long run, despite having more calories and fat per serving. The fatty fish are so good for your heart,brain and joints. Herring and sardines are also fatty and make great snacks. I keep pickled herring in my fridge for when I need a quick snack/treat.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I would concentrate on a fattier fish like salmon or tuna. It would be healthier for you in the long run, despite having more calories and fat per serving. The fatty fish are so good for your heart,brain and joints. Herring and sardines are also fatty and make great snacks. I keep pickled herring in my fridge for when I need a quick snack/treat.

I wouldn't contradict doctor's orders. There must be a reason he suggested such a lean fish over the obvious, more readily available fatty fish.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I told my husband it was similar to flounder, he said flounder would probably easier for us to get in Texas.

As for the specific fish type, I just had the MRT Leap test completed for food sensitivities. I am in the first phase of a five phase limitation. I was highly reactive to all meats including chicken and turkey! So its soy and fish. I thought sole was a type of soy!

Thank you for the help!
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love Orca Bay fresh caught flounder (frozen section at grocery). Its delicious and mild. I use a non-stick frying pan on low. Rinse and pat dry the fillets and sprinkle with Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning. Cook about 3 min. per side and that's all it needs to be wonderful.