Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The Right Fruit for a Low Carb'er

I have been actively eating a low carb diet (Less then 50 carbs a day). I have found it unsettling that I cant find the right fruit to eat that wont screw up my low carb diet when I enter my daily food intake in my food diary. For example one day I ate a medium orange and it registered as 38 carbs (estimate) and then a couple of days ago I included a medium red apple in my journal and it registered as 30+ calories (estimate). What fruits can I eat that wont eat up my daily carb intake limit? In other words what fruits are low carb?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    5 Cherry tomatoes - 3 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1 clementine - 18 carbs, 2 of which is fiber
    1 mini banana - 6 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1/4 cup of blueberries - 4 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1/4 cup blackberries - 3 carbs, 2 of which are fiber
    1/4 raspberries - 4 carbs, 2 of which are fiber
    1 gala apple - 22 carbs, 5 of which are fiber

This is just what I ate yesterday. 57 carbs of fruit, 14 grams of which were fiber, and I spread it out so I had some fruit with each meal.
  • I'm on a 50 carb or less diet. What are your carb limits?
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    I have been actively eating a low carb diet (Less then 50 carbs a day). I have found it unsettling that I cant find the right fruit to eat that wont screw up my low carb diet when I enter my daily food intake in my food diary. For example one day I ate a medium orange and it registered as 38 carbs (estimate) and then a couple of days ago I included a medium red apple in my journal and it registered as 30+ calories (estimate). What fruits can I eat that wont eat up my daily carb intake limit? In other words what fruits are low carb?

Cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes, squash..
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    5 Cherry tomatoes - 3 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1 clementine - 18 carbs, 2 of which is fiber
    1 mini banana - 6 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1/4 cup of blueberries - 4 carbs, 1 of which is fiber
    1/4 cup blackberries - 3 carbs, 2 of which are fiber
    1/4 raspberries - 4 carbs, 2 of which are fiber
    1 gala apple - 22 carbs, 5 of which are fiber

This is just what I ate yesterday. 57 carbs of fruit, 14 grams of which were fiber, and I spread it out so I had some fruit with each meal.

Mmm yes, berries are generally very low carb and delicious! Another fruit that happens to be lower carb is the humble kiwi. Usually I'll halve a kiwi, eat one half and send the other with my boyfriend to work. I honestly don't eat too much fruit, small servings here and there but will indulge if I want something sweet (hey, it's way better carb counts and nutrition than a cookie).

When I first started low carbing I was shocked at how carby apples and bananas were so initially I just more or less quit eating them, instead opting for high fiber veggies. I have no begun to reintroduce fruits in my diet in small quantities, but once summer hits and raspberries are in season again I can't guarantee not to eat a pint in one sitting :p
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    I buy from the Whole30 vegetarian list:

apricots
    blackberries
    blueberries
    cherries
    grapefruit
    kiwi
    melon (not watermelon)
    plums
    raspberries