Protein

Options
I've read that protein takes more effort for our bodies to break down, which means not only are we helping build muscles, tissue, etc, but we're burning extra calories. That being said, is it ok if I regularly go over my daily protein requirements if I'm doing a regular cardio/strength routine?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Protein setting are low here. Feel free in go over, especially if you are working out. If you bust out the fork and eat the dead cow on the side of the road, that might put a strain on your kidneys.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    hahaha! I only ever eat lean turkey/chicken, water packed tuna, and the canned salmon that my family makes. My protein is lean, but I was a little worried as I'm already over with just breakfast and lunch! lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Dietitians suggest that your protein intake be between 10 and 30% of total calories for a balanced diet. That being said for those that workout you should not get less than 15% which is still low and is what MFP defaults to. You can double the amount MFP gives you and still be in a "balanced" protein range. You may want to change your setting and up your protein goal to 20 or 25% of total calories and lower either fat, carbs or both.

to make the changes go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OMG! regarding the "dead cow" !hehehehehe! Funniest thing I've heard all day!!!
  • eillamarie
    Options
    I've been doing some reason on diet types-as in some ppl are protein types, some are carb types, some are mixed-and I'm pretty sure I'm a protein type. I think I'll up it 10-15g and see how that goes.

**Changed my settings to 20% protein 25% fat...see how that goes for now. MFP default settings are 15% protein & 30% fat.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some reason on diet types-as in some ppl are protein types, some are carb types, some are mixed-and I'm pretty sure I'm a protein type. I think I'll up it 10-15g and see how that goes.

**Changed my settings to 20% protein 25% fat...see how that goes for now. MFP default settings are 15% protein & 30% fat.
    If you are eating good fats, ignore those also.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I noticed that too that Proteins are LOW on here. I also use Anytime Health and on there it like me to go over 100g of protein and on here it suggests way less. I love my protein so I definitely noticed:)
  • eillamarie
    Options

If you are eating good fats, ignore those also.

I never eat trans fats, & I really do try to stick to just healthy fats...like from fish and nuts and stuff, but I know I eat way too much bad fat, so by cutting it down so much I'm forcing myself to eat only the good stuff :)
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    Yeah, if you're going to be doing any type of physical activities during the day, a good way to go would be .75 - 1.00 grams of protein per pound of body weight!! As long as you're not going over 300 grams of protein a day, you should be fine though. After that, your body really cant handle it!!
  • eillamarie
    Options
    Right now that would be a LOT of protein lol Once I reach my 1st goal (half way there) I'm going to really bring the hammer down on strength training, I love doing it, but I want to work on my overall cardio right now. (I'm still doing strength, but it's hard when you're so out of shape)