Just ate McDonald's/need help

Options
okay so today after soccer training for dinner i ate McDonald's.
It was the first time I've had McDonald's for about 6-7 months as well
I had one Grand Angus and another Grand Angus with a Grilled Chicken pattie instead of Angus Beef. (around 1000cals altogether) NO FRIES AND JUST A WATER FOR DRINK.
I also consumed around 800 calories during the day making my total calorie intake for the day to be around 1800-2000
I burnt 600 cal during the day from walking around and approximately 500-800 cal from soccer training which went for an hour and a half. My BMR is 1675.98. So that means i burnt around 2800-3000 calories all up
just wondering if this will do some major damage, I'm only trying to maintain my weight btw.

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    just wondering if this will do some major damage

It won't (if you are worrying about putting on weight.)

If anything you might lose a little as your cals for the day seem to be on the low side for your age and activity level.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    considering your BMR is 1675 (and therefore you'd need that many calories just for your body to function if you were in a coma) and you ate about 1800 calories and then burned a heap, you ought to actually lose. If you're trying to maintain, you should be eating your TDEE (including eating your exercise cals), not just your BMR
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    "Major damage"? One McDonalds?

If you are trying to maintain, you should be eating the same amount as you expand. So actually, you should have eaten more.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It's only one day - it isn't going to kill you. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    okay so today after soccer training for dinner i ate McDonald's.
    It was the first time I've had McDonald's for about 6-7 months as well
    I had one Grand Angus and another Grand Angus with a Grilled Chicken pattie instead of Angus Beef. (around 1000cals altogether) NO FRIES AND JUST A WATER FOR DRINK.
    I also consumed around 800 calories during the day making my total calorie intake for the day to be around 1800-2000
    I burnt 600 cal during the day from walking around and approximately 500-800 cal from soccer training which went for an hour and a half. My BMR is 1675.98. So that means i burnt around 2800-3000 calories all up
    just wondering if this will do some major damage, I'm only trying to maintain my weight btw.

Thanks guys :)
    If you think one meal would destroy 6 or 7 months of work I really think you need to have a good look at your though processes. You need to take a step back and look at the big picture
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just don't have too many days of overeating and you'll be fine.

One day of overeating, if you're eating right the rest of the time, won't make or break you. You may get a water weight gain from the sodium... but don't stress about water weight gains, they go away as quickly as they come.

And if you burned 3000 cals in a day but only ate 2000......... that's undereating unless you have around 100lb or more to lose, as that's a 33% deficit. As you say you're maintaining, then that is undereating by a massive amount.

Ask yourself this... what caused you to do all this unplanned overeating (which actually isn't overeating as you're still in deficit by your own maths? If your daily deficit is too big then excessive hunger (which may strike suddenly rather than being a constant thing) and the desire to binge are the likely result of that.

If you're trying to maintain your weight, you need to eat the same amount as you burn off, so if you burned 3000 calories in a day, you should eat 3000 calories.

That said, if you're just estimating calories (burned and eaten) then you would do better to get accurate numbers, i.e. log your food on here, and use one of those devices that tells you how many calories you're burning in a day. they're not perfect, i.e. you'll still need to monitor your progress and adjust the calorie numbers up or down based on real world results, but they're a lot better than just guesstimating.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree - 1 meal is not going to make or break you, forget it & move on. That's not even taking into account that you burned calories for the day. Take a deep breath, relax & get back on track today..........
  • sloeginlin
    sloeginlin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think you will be ok, it was just one meal, as long as you don't carry on eating like that. Keep on doing as you have been. Once in 6-7 months, just think about it without the old panic head on!
    xx
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One meal isn't going to make you gain. You gained because of many bad eating habits over a long period of time, not just one bad meal.

Though I will say, if you have to eat at a fast food place, McDonalds does have things that aren't too terrible. I get the McChicken and it's not as high calorie as the burgers. There's ways to eat at places like that and still make sensible decisions.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... basic principles of fitting your macros - eat it, track it and make it fit your daily macros / calories!
    Doesn't mean you can now stuff your face everyday with McD's but as long as you are on top of your eating habbits and daily requirments you won't be in any "major damage" situation!
  • oshjj
    oshjj Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and help guys.

Only reason I had McDonald's was because of basically i hadn't had it in awhile and that's what was for dinner tonight so no choice really haha, thanks again though everyone :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Only reason I had McDonald's was because of basically i hadn't had it in awhile and that's what was for dinner tonight so no choice really haha, thanks again though everyone :)

The big question is did you enjoy it today? are you going to have another one tomorrow or the day/week/month after?

If the answers are YES you enjoyed it and No your not going to have another one for a while, then great.

A little of what you like is never a bad thing!

Total food restriction is not a sensible way to live!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Probably should have had some fries to make your calorie deficit a little smaller.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You did all that exercise, you shouldn't be worried about what one meal! Also, seemed like you had a huge calorie deficit so honestly I wouldn't be worried at all!
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options
    No problem!

As you wrote you have not been to McD for 6-7 months, that's great1

As long as you kept a clean diet, it's no panic that you failed just once. It can actually be positive, with enhancing your metabolism.

Just go back to your normal diet and it will be fine!
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat that way on purpose to lose weight.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options

While 1 meal won't destroy all you have done, don't fall into the trap of "I had no choice" - you ALWAYS have a choice. If you're really concerned about eating at McD's, you can have 1 of their salads (hold the high fat dressing or take it home & use a healthier dressing), you can pick up something else on the way home or you can forgo buying anything for yourself & put together something healthier at home. You CHOSE to have McD's - you enjoyed it, it fit your day so it's not a bad situation. It can become one if you start to hit there more & more because you're telling yourself you "have no choice", that's how we've all wound up here on MFP trying to undo those "no choice" meals........
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day !

Just keep your focus and stay the course !
  • lorenacoy9
    Options
    Omg fast food wont do anything trust me as long as its not costant n of ir burning it ul be fine it wont do a thing except maybe bloat u from sodium u can eat junk food just not to much of it controlled is the key and a day out eating bad food wont do a thing i do it alot like once a week or so not every 6 to 7 months
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonalds once every week or 2. I plan my day, make sure it fits in my calories requirement and then enjoy the treat!