Please help!!! Detox emergency

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    OMG HELP!!! I went over by so much today! I really want to go on a one day detox tomorrow :)

I will be eating 800 calories. Should I do juice detox (mostly celery, lettuce, cucumber, 2-3 carrots, 2 small apples at most, ginger) to cleanse my system and feel refreshed. OR should I have a juice- 2 carrots, lots of celery, ginger and 1/2 apple AND two plates of vegetables in soup/stir fried? I do realise that this adds oil to the detox, but I've heard people say that you need some oil to absorb the veggies.. arrghh SO CONFUSED!

Thank you!! :)

Why are you eating so little (how much weight are you looking to lose)?

Also how active are you on you 800 calories a day?

Is this 800 calories a once a week thing?
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just to add to everyone else's posting - 'detox' is a total myth. Just eat less the next day if you've gone over. Eating 800 calories in a day made up of purely veg is stupid. Needing oil to absorb it is double stupid. Find a different source of information. And BTW, I don't mean to be harsh, but you need to know that this is not right.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When you punish yourself with a 800 cal "cleanse" after a bad day, you set yourself up on a binge and restrict cycle which can really screw you up. Take it from someone who has been there.

Have a normal day tomorrow. Eat your regular calories. If you don't lose, or don't lose as much this week, learn from it, accept it and move on. Because if you start restricting to make up for binging you:

a) teach yourself its ok to binge so long as you restrict after (slippery slope to an eating disorder);
    b) don't do anything towards learning NOT to binge; and/or
    b) get into the food as reward/crutch vs. less food as punishment mindset.

Not to mention the high change of getting near the end of your 800 cal day and then binging all over because you're hungry/deprived.

Don't go down that path. You didn't put on weight in one day, one day isn't going to derail you forever, or even in the short term.

QFT

x2

x3

x4

Log it and move on.
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options
    As a lot of other forum members wrote; don't panic. Just continue and stick to your diet.

If you've followed your diet strictly it can actually have affected your metabolism in a positive way.

Regarding detox it can be a good weapon to use now and then, if you do it right (basing the diet on ecological vegetables, wild caught fish, alcalized water, ecologica green tea etc). The one´s with just shakes, skip it.

A straight detox for 5-7 days can clear your body from waste products and getting your protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity on the right track. This will make your body answer even better on your following diet.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    There are fat soluble vitamins. You do need to ingest fat.

There is no such thing as a food detox, there are no food-based toxins which will be eliminated from your body any more quickly through drinking juice.

If you ingest mercury, for instance, it still has the same half life inside your body regardless of whether you drink juice or eat solid vegetables. Frankly the non-soluble fiber would help, if anything.

In closing, solid effort, would pay toll, would cross bridge again, 8.5/10 troll.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's hilarious how people here go into alarmist mode. 800 calories for one day is absolutely not going to shock a system. She said ONE DAY! People have always done this kind of calorie-management and it's not terrible whatsoever; it's actually pretty smart. How many of us have eaten a giant lunch and then opted for vegetables for dinner? Eat 2200 calories of junk one day, and 800 super-healthy calories the next, and you balance out beautifully at 1500 calories per day and it's a nice mix of junk and healthy stuff.

Not the end of the world!

OP, you really don't need to detox though. But it's OK, I won't yell at you for using that word when what you mean is you want to balance. And if a day of vegetables will help you feel better, do it. Just don't tell MFP about it ;)
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    NO! Read this and stop the Detox Nonsense!
    From Harvard Medical school about cleansing and detoxes.....

"The body’s own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body."
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's hilarious how people here go into alarmist mode. 800 calories for one day is absolutely not going to shock a system. She said ONE DAY! People have always done this kind of calorie-management and it's not terrible whatsoever; it's actually pretty smart. How many of us have eaten a giant lunch and then opted for vegetables for dinner? Eat 2200 calories of junk one day, and 800 super-healthy calories the next, and you balance out beautifully at 1500 calories per day and it's a nice mix of junk and healthy stuff.

Not the end of the world!

I think the point is less to do with the physiological aspect but the psychological aspect.

The OP has experienced a binge and has a strong emotional reaction to this behaviour.. Her proposed solution is knee jerk excessive (and unnecessary) restriction. The last thing you want to do in this scenario is to encourage a mental binge / restrict model. Of course, this may just be a one of situation and if so cool beans. She could do that and go on with her life quite happily after "detoxing".

Or maybe not and it simply reinforces an unhealthy mindset and relationship towards food and eating.

Don't kill people with kindness (I am not being literal here though ;)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    So check this out. My family of five (including three kids ages 16, 15 and 4) usually eat pretty healthy--lots of vegetables, mostly home cooked, etc. Last fall we went on a road trip and ate a ton of fast food in one weekend. When we got home, we were all sitting around the living room complaining about how we felt awful and joked about "detoxing" from the fast food and decided to do Meatless Monday.

I would not call this disordered whatsoever. It's healthy! And not all that different from one day of juices and vegetables. Especially if what you ate is taking a a toll on the old digestive system ;)
  • irunforcookies
    irunforcookies Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you punish yourself with a 800 cal "cleanse" after a bad day, you set yourself up on a binge and restrict cycle which can really screw you up. Take it from someone who has been there.

Have a normal day tomorrow. Eat your regular calories. If you don't lose, or don't lose as much this week, learn from it, accept it and move on. Because if you start restricting to make up for binging you:

a) teach yourself its ok to binge so long as you restrict after (slippery slope to an eating disorder);
    b) don't do anything towards learning NOT to binge; and/or
    b) get into the food as reward/crutch vs. less food as punishment mindset.

Not to mention the high change of getting near the end of your 800 cal day and then binging all over because you're hungry/deprived.

Don't go down that path. You didn't put on weight in one day, one day isn't going to derail you forever, or even in the short term.

QFT

x2

x3

OP the main cause of binge eating is undereating. Undereating as a way to "fix" a binge is just asking it to happen again. Just like rolling a heavy rock up a hill is asking for it to roll back down again.

Find a way to eat that enables you to enjoy all the foods you want to enjoy, while still losing weight. Usually the way to do this is to find the highest number of calories that you can eat, and still lose weight slowly and steadily. And trust me that number is a lot higher than 800. Don't swing from one extreme to the other.... find the happy medium and stick to it long term.

Please listen to these people.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    "emergency" might be a bit melodramatic, but having ONE super low calorie day after a particularly bad one is certainly not going to hurt you and send you into a binging mode or catapult you into an eating disorder either!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So check this out. My family of five (including three kids ages 16, 15 and 4) usually eat pretty healthy--lots of vegetables, mostly home cooked, etc. Last fall we went on a road trip and ate a ton of fast food in one weekend. When we got home, we were all sitting around the living room complaining about how we felt awful and joked about "detoxing" from the fast food and decided to do Meatless Monday.

I would not call this disordered whatsoever. It's healthy! And not all that different from one day of juices and vegetables. Especially if what you ate is taking a a toll on the old digestive system ;)

Please do not encourage disordered eating. If the OP's post did not send up red flags and sirens then I suggest you re-read it or examine your own thoughts on food.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Please do not encourage disordered eating. If the OP's post did not send up red flags and sirens then I suggest you re-read it or examine your own thoughts on food.
    ^this
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    OMG HELP!!! I went over by so much today! I really want to go on a one day detox tomorrow :)

I will be eating 800 calories. Should I do juice detox (mostly celery, lettuce, cucumber, 2-3 carrots, 2 small apples at most, ginger) to cleanse my system and feel refreshed. OR should I have a juice- 2 carrots, lots of celery, ginger and 1/2 apple AND two plates of vegetables in soup/stir fried? I do realise that this adds oil to the detox, but I've heard people say that you need some oil to absorb the veggies.. arrghh SO CONFUSED!

Thank you!! :)

You should eat regular food and forget about a pointless detox.

But I'm betting you go all Dr. Oz and do a lemon water cleanse instead.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    As a lot of other forum members wrote; don't panic. Just continue and stick to your diet.

If you've followed your diet strictly it can actually have affected your metabolism in a positive way.

Regarding detox it can be a good weapon to use now and then, if you do it right (basing the diet on ecological vegetables, wild caught fish, alcalized water, ecologica green tea etc). The one´s with just shakes, skip it.

A straight detox for 5-7 days can clear your body from waste products and getting your protein synthesis and insulin sensitivity on the right track. This will make your body answer even better on your following diet.

LOL, what?

*edit to bold the lolly part
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

LOL, what?

*edit to bold the lolly part

LOLx10 Apparantly Detox is ok if it is *the right one* Screw your Body's Detox system, Thats Old School, try this new Lemon, Bitter root and toe jam from an old Okinowan womans feet cleanse. It's Dr Oz & Beyonce approved!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Think long term instead of daily. =)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Think long term instead of daily. =)
    This :)

Other people said some important stuff like "detox" not being a real thing you need to do unless you have a medical condition that impairs your organ function.

Think about your cals not only as a daily measurement, but weekly, and even monthly.

Eat in reasonable portions tomorrow and move on.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    As an aside, how tall are you? Because with your current weight at 117 and goal weight of 102 lb, unless you are under 5 foot tall I have some serious concerns about the necessity of trying to lose weight. Particularly in conjunction with a detox post.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    personally you dont need to do an emergency Detox, work out how many cal over you eat and just work it off, if you can do it in one day then over the next few, eat healthy clean food, if you enjoy juicing have some.

just because you took a small step off track doesn't mean you have to beat yourself up. I am sure you are doing really well, get back on track and you have win :D