Need to do something... starting today

Options
Sedentary job, lots of business travel, poor diet, little exercise, erratic sleep schedule, high family stress.... my lifestyle is literally going to kill me if I don't do something pronto to get it back on track. I'm 52, with the health of a fat 70 year old. Going to try to change things today, beginning with simple diet and exercise. Wish me luck.

Replies

• Trishsimon
    Options
    Your first step is joining here its a great site loads of tips and encouragement from people, for the stress find an exercise even one you can so on your business trips and that will help..swimming is very relaxing and a great work out too.
    I personally believe if you dont want stress in your life then make changes and dont allow it to happen, you will feel much better once you have implemented a healthier lifestyle, still treat yourself every now and again like once a month that way you wont feel you are being deprived.
    Best of Luck !
  • mel5580
    mel5580 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stay positive and focus..you can do this!!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Oh wow this is so me in December 2011... We are here, i think you will find inspiration, and lots of information here...Welcome!
  • colinward1620
    Options
    Sounds exactly like me, living in hotels, on the road. stressful job and high blood pressure at 48. This has put me at least 5 stone overweight. Good luck with your diet, see you on the other side of healthy :-)
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the change! As a fellow road warrior I'd suggest an exercise regime that can be done relatively quickly at home or in a hotel room. Personally, I've found P90X3 an ideal fit, but I think there are plenty of others.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Good luck. It seems you understand the problem.......now fix it. Take small steps if it helps. You can do this :flowerforyou:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I just quit smoking today, so wish me luck too!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This sounds familiar to many of us, myself included.

Best of luck to you!

One day at a time.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    So glad to have you here :flowerforyou: ….and that you are taking steps to reclaim your health. Please remember this is a lifestyle change not "diet". And whatever you do, don't listen to Dr. Oz!:noway:
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i can relate to the family stress, i live in a high stress household and sometimes you just cant escape it, mines caused because my oldest son has mental/behavioral problems, so no sorting it out or walking away from it for me :sad: , i do escape it sometimes by going for a walk but only when it get's to breaking point
    i no somebody on here who lost 80lbs+ just dieting, no exercise what so ever, so the first thing you should do is sort the diet out, find the right calories for yourself (not what mfp sets you often they are wrong try http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ instead) dont restrict what foods you eat, and you will soon be melting away
    good luck x
  • sarahc142
    Options
    Good luck! Most everyone here is really nice and supportive, hope this site works well for you!
  • jhalton
    Options
    I've been where you are and can tell that ...you CAN do this! It won't be easy, but if you are willing to work hard you can turn it around. I believe it's 90% diet and 10% exercise. If you need a accountability partner I will send you a friend request.

Good luck, Jack
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Great! The first step is the hardest.

For business travel, I have some suggestions:

1) Have a workout plan. Personally, I would not rely on hotels that have there own gym, because one piece of equipment or other is often out of order. A few suggestions:
    -Pick a few favorite exercises from fitnessblender.com
    -get into a bodyweight strength training routine
    -make sure there is a park near your hotel to walk or run at

2) Take the time to stop by a grocery store. At the very least, stock up on fruits and veggies, but look into some lean proteins that you can prepare in your room, as well.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Great job taking ownership of your health! I wish you the best!