Too much Protein

Options
When I am doing my food diary I always seem to be over on my protein as I would eat chicken for lunch and then chicken mainly or beef again for dinner is there any harm in too much protein when the rest of my diet is on track?

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    MFP goals for protein are very low. Think of it more like a minimum, not maximum.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I am doing my food diary I always seem to be over on my protein as I would eat chicken for lunch and then chicken mainly or beef again for dinner is there any harm in too much protein when the rest of my diet is on track?

No, I wish I could eat that much protein.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    MFP goals for protein are very low. Think of it more like a minimum, not maximum.

^ this
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The protein goals on MFP are ridiculously low imo. Protein is good for you. It helps you to feel full and retain lean body mass as your lose weight. I eat between 100-124g of protein a day, I think the formula is something like 0.8kg protein/1 lb of lean body mass? You're doing fine, and you could add more into your diet if you want and still be on track.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Protein is great unless you have kidney issues. You're doing fabulously in getting your protein in. :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The protein goals on MFP are ridiculously low imo. Protein is good for you. It helps you to feel full and retain lean body mass as your lose weight. I eat between 100-124g of protein a day, I think the formula is something like 0.8kg protein/1 lb of lean body mass? You're doing fine, and you could add more into your diet if you want and still be on track.

Crazy low...I get 120-150g/day.
  • Trishsimon
    Options
    Thanks so much as I was getting worried thinking I wont lose weight if I do not stay on track with protein !!
    Cheers to you all
  • Greytfish
    Options
    What MFP uses is basically "eat this much to sustain basic life"
  • sjaykay13
    Options
    MFP settings are whack
    -- aim for 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fats for a normal diet.
    -- aim for 40% protein, 25% carbs, 35% fats for a low carb diet.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    NEVER TOO MUCH PROTEIN!

well, as you can tell, I am a meat person. I eat about 140g protein/day on average, weekends even a lot more when I cook for myself.

There is nothign wrong with it, you should have 0.8g/lb of lean body mass at the very least if you're doing some type of exercise. Hell, even if you're not, you don't want to lose that muscle that makes up your BMR :)

So go for as much meat as you want. Protein is the macro I always try to hit first!
  • uptomoonandback
    uptomoonandback Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yeah this is not good, I barely make it to the amount that mfp gives me on a given day. I am not a big meat person and for the next 3 weeks I am doing no meat. It's really hard to get in the protein that they say.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    yeah this is not good, I barely make it to the amount that mfp gives me on a given day. I am not a big meat person and for the next 3 weeks I am doing no meat. It's really hard to get in the protein that they say.

why would you do no meat if you know you're already not consuming enough protein?

Can you get protein shakes?
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I seem to be averaging 120+, been up as high as 150+ too.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can change the percentage of food in settings. I did and now I am happier not seeing it go over as much. However, I also counter act one of the side effect of too much protein with some high fibre supplement and foods. It works for me.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I come in at about 32 percent protein and 30 percent carbs and 38 percent fat. I have it set for 35%p 35%f and 30%carbs but im over on fat always
  • HabuBlue
    Options

Well, lean meats are ideally one of the best sources of protein, but since you're going meat free for a few weeks.....

Other non-meat sources of protein:

Eggs
    Cottage Cheese / Greek Yogurt
    Milk
    Legumes, lentils, rice
    Tofu
    Whey, Pea, Rice Protein supplements
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat and usually eat around 130-150 g of protein. If you are going of mfp's protein you are probably doing alright.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    same response as many others, MFP has it set WAY too low, I have adjusted my macros accordingly.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If I really plan things well, I can eat as much as 170g of protein a day. Typically, I aim for 150g. "Too much" is >600g, I understand, unless you have kidney problems.
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    Just backing up the "MFP gives a very low number for how much protein you should have" thing. It's only accurate for me because I weigh so little - anyone heavier than me seems to get a stupidly low number suggested!