Skinny Chicken Quinoa Stew

Options
I am not what you would call a talented or interested cook, and I cook for one. So I value convenience, easiness, and the ability to re-heat leftovers. But in the chilly winter I want something hearty and comfort food-ish, without extra calories from bread and cheese and rice. Discovered this amazing chicken quinoa stew from an online blog and had to share! So healthy, SO easy, and so flavorful! Credit to the original post here: http://peaceflycookingandliving.wordpress.com/2013/07/18/one-pot-meal-chicken-veggie-and-quinoa-moroccan-stew/.

I added extra veggies (squash and eggplant!) and used a full quart of chicken broth instead of water. And lots of salt and pepper and basil. Also - the crushed canned tomatoes with green chiles are key to tastiness! Enjoy! And if you enjoy the recipe or want to share more, please add me as a friend!

Serves 6; Prep Time: 6 minutes; Cook Time; 30 minutes

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1/2 a white onion, chopped

3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1 Tablespoon of butter

1 can of roasted tomatoes (I get “fire roasted” with green chiles)

1/2 an eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

2 medium carrots, roughly diced

2 cups of water

1 cup of quinoa

Basil or other fresh herb for stirring in at the end

Directions:

On a larger cutting board, chop and dice the onion and garlic. Heat a large pan over medium high heat with the butter. Once heated, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until the onions just start to become translucent. As the onions and garlic are cooking, cube the chicken breasts on a separate, smaller cutting board. Add the chicken to the onions and garlic, keeping the lid off so it can brown, then cook for approximately 7 minutes. After 7 minutes add the canned tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes while chopping the other veggies

As the chicken is cooking, on the same cutting board as the onions and garlic (not the chicken!) dice the carrots and eggplant. Add the eggplant and carrots to the pot, stir, and cover the pot. Cook for 4 minutes so the carrots especially can start to become tender. Add the water and quinoa, cover, reduce to medium, and cook for 15 minutes.

Remove the cover and stir to see that the quinoa has cooked thoroughly. Although this is called a “stew” the quinoa should have soaked up most of the liquid. Add the fresh basil in the whole pot before serving. For each portion, add a large spoonful of Greek yogurt, stir it around a little bit so the sauce from the tomatoes gets creamy and the yogurt gets warm. Enjoy with a glass of wine, dreaming of far off lands where the mountains are high, the deserts and forests are vast, and the people there are open to sharing their warm and tasty food with hungry strangers :)

Replies

• katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This looks and sounds deeeeeelicious! I always have a stew or soup in the fridge during the fall and winter - I live with my boyfriend but we mostly eat separate meals so I'm usually cooking for one. I love being able to heat up a portion or grab one to bring to school with me.

This looks filling, nutritious and tasty. I'm going to make it this week! I'll probably double the recipe though, I don't think I've ever not doubled a soup recipe, haha

Thanks!

ETA: I think I'll add zucchini too.. and maybe peppers...sweet potato... the options are endless.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Made this tonight! Absolutely delicious. I only added zucchini but I didn't add basil because I was too cheap to buy it. So tasty and satisfying, I ate a 1 1/2 cup serving as was absolutely stuffed. I'll say this though - a dollop of plain greek yogurt stirred in reeeeeaaaaally makes it way better. Yum.

Thanks for the recipe!
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    This does sound pretty delicious. I have been looking for tasty ways to get more quinoa into my diet and I think this sounds pretty good.

I think this is one I will cook up this weekend!
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • VictoriaDarleneGale
    Options
    This sounds delicious!
  • sara1029
    sara1029 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Totally trying out quinoa just for this recipe.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Reddon666
    Reddon666 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! What's the nutritional content?
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    Bump
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing! I'm thinking Saturday night dinner!
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I cooked this tonight. It was delicious!

I made a few changes, some by necessity. I couldn't get any roasted tomatoes in a can (who knows they probably have them somewhere but Aldi didn't have any) so I added a big fleshy hot chilli. I used chicken stock instead of water and I added an extra half a cup of quinoa and another cup of water because I added a heap of vegetables - sweet potatoes, green beans, eggplants and zucchinis which really bulked up the size of the meal. I used some fresh basil and sage at the end and served it with a little fresh bread. I wasn't sure about the yoghurt myself but the missus thought it was a great addition.

So healthy and so yummy. Will definitely be making this again!
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Made this for dinner last night. I used courgette instead of aubergine and it was really good!
  • RNP247
    RNP247 Posts: 15
    Options
    This sounds good. I am going to have to try it out
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    this looks really good and I love adding Quinoa to a stew.