Up 740 cals/d = 11.5lbs Jan lost

Options
I am writing this post for those of you nervous to up your calorie intake to a healthier level. This topic gets brought up a lot. I hope my numbers help others to eat at at least their BMR.

Mfpal calculator had me 500 cals below my BMR. I did lose a lot of weight in both November and December. Like many I was not eating back all my calories, usually half. So this made my net calories 700 or more calories below my BMR. I was getting colds easily, I was worried about loosing too much muscle, and I was having cognitive differences. My memory was terrible, vocabulary terrible, and many times I was not alert when driving. Now I base my intake on the TDEE method. I raised my calories in two splits beginning mid December, with another calorie raised around New Years.

The important numbers: Up cals 740/ day to 2380. Lost 11.5 lbs in January while my goal was only 8 lbs.

January exercised burned 5133 less calories than December.

A lot of days when I could exercise hard my daily intake would approach 3k cals. Now my goal is to have my net cals at or above my BMR. Which I haven't always done, but never less than 200 cals from my BMR. I will get my body fat comp done on Monday, because I am considering another calorie increase. I now want to slow down my rate of loss.

I have shaken my head many times at the mfpal calculator having guys (230-240lbs) eating 1500-1600 cals per day when petite woman are not suppose to eat less than 1200 cals.

Just another plug for TDEE method. I hope this testimony helps other eat more to loose healthier.

I want to send a special thanks to a mfpal who helped me increase my calorie intake. You know who you are :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ironic and worth noting December was exactly 11.5lbs lost at lower cal intake and more exercise.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!

I have recently upped my calories and it's definitley taking an effect on my body - I feel quite tired after eating as I'm eating more frequently. I'll see if it does anything to my weight loss progress this month, it may just be the thing I need to lose the last 5lbs along with my normal exercise routine (cardio & strength training).
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Right now MFP has me eating 1390 calories. I calculated my BMR as 1582 and TDEE is 2175. My current weight is 242. Can you help me figure this out? I currently work out 3-5 times a week doing a mix of cardio and weights. I want to start "lifting heavy" but that's another issue. :) Am I eating enough calories? How many should I eat? Thanks for any advice!

Congrats on your loss so far!!
  • 86myHeadache
    Options
    Hi katem,

Thank you for the praise.

I looked at the last 10 days of your diary. Looks like your disciplined :)
    I would suggest being more consistent with eating back your cals. A couple days your net cals were around 1000. Without eating back consistently you are not following the mfpal program. Like myself and others this can put your net cals way below your BMR.

A lot of people are sucessful with using the TDEE -20% method. I estimated your TDEE seems low. Many people use the website:

Www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I am curious of what your goal per week is?

I would be happy to friend you,
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Amen to this!

Eat back what you burn off - a minimum of 1200 net calories a day. Having a net of under that might result in some short term losses, but when you plateau you are going to plateau hard. Plus, it's just not worth feeling hungry and miserable for something that should be a full lifestyle change, not just seen as a temporary diet.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    TDEE method or MFP plus exercise calories ends up within 100 calories of each other for me. So, there's nothing gained from using TDEE for me - that rewards me with the extra calories before I do any exercise, thus removing a big motivator for me. Glad it's working for you, but it wouldn't make any difference for me.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the TDEE method. I switched many months ago and have never looked back. Like you I make sure I never net below my BMR because I do turn in some mega burns on days that I'm very active. Since I switched my weight loss has slowed down but it's been steady. Keep up the good work.

Another great calculator is http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Do some reading on leptin.

Usually what happens is those very low calorie diets work for a bit.....but then leptin drops and the fat burning slows down....

Then a person will do a refeed and leptin goes back up and you start burning fat again.....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    TDEE method or MFP plus exercise calories ends up within 100 calories of each other for me. So, there's nothing gained from using TDEE for me - that rewards me with the extra calories before I do any exercise, thus removing a big motivator for me. Glad it's working for you, but it wouldn't make any difference for me.
    Exactly the same here! My motivation to exercise went way down when I tried TDEE for a while.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great thread. The whole mindset of "eat the least possible number of calories" is flawed, counter productive, and likely what leads to REGAIN for most folks (rather than just the name of the specify diet chosen).

Glad you worked this out. AND glad you posted it!:drinker:
  • 86myHeadache
    Options
    Thanks All, I do agree for lighter people there is less of a difference between mfpal vs tdee. It just seems few people eat back properly on the mfpal plan. Both can work great. I just hope my massive calorie jump makes it easier for others to make small changes.

An update I did raise my calories again to TDEE-500 to 2626. I am really happy with my progress. I hope to slow down my weight loss rate to help preserve muscle.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am really glad to read your success story and congrats with the pay off from all your hard work. I started doing the TDEE - 20% 3 weeks ago and had initial good success now I bounced back up a little. But am going to keep going. I am encouraged by your story
  • salsasam84
    Options
    Wow congrats not only to the weight loss but also to being brave enough to increase your calories.

I am not that brave just yet and am trying to understand all these estimated calories and suggested calories etc. Any help or advice would be amazing. I am 29 YO and 232 lbs. MFP = 1440, BMR = 1812, TDEE = 2650 and -25% for weight loss the website you suggested in another post (iiyfm) = 1988 with me eating nearly 200g protein a day.

I am so confused as at the moment I am only eating around 1200 calories a day and I do Insanity programme (Just about to go into second month).

Which of these numbers do I use and is that with the exercise included or do I need to eat back some (which I don'y understand).

Sorry to bombard you with questions