"Shoveling Snow" *is* in the Exercise Database

Options
Just wanted to let everyone know, in case you didn't already. And I'm guessing this is one exercise where the calories burned are NOT being over-estimated.

Replies

• marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've used it a bunch of times this winter.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yup. Used it last weekend shoveling the foot of snow we had. I burned 400+ calories in a little under an hour. I wore my HRM too just to see how many calories it was. :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know, in case you didn't already. And I'm guessing this is one exercise where the calories burned are NOT being over-estimated.

did you measure your co2 levels to verify that or are you just saying?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yet "sex" is curiously absent.
    I'm not saying that it burns a lot, but it's no more pointless that people who put in "Cleaning"
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska, I use it all the time
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that it burns a lot, but it's no more pointless that people who put in "Cleaning"

consider it bonus and don't need to count it.
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chicagoland is up to 52" this year and that number is certain to increase this week. Since the snowblower is out of service, it's been mostly manual labor at my house and at my parents' house.

Sadly, I've been doing much more shoveling than sexing.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    But is it measuring "real" snow... or that inch of fluffy stuff Texas got last week :)
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I don't see why you feel that way. If someone cleaned every day as their day job, they certainly wouldn't put "sedentary" as their activity level.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I was shoveling 10" in each shovel load...Chesapeake, VA.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Seriously - after a 10 inch snowfall it is work! I usually make my son do it! lol

We have had more snow this year than in the past 5 yrs. It's definitely hard work - more so than "cleaning"

I never put my housework in as exercise but shovelling I definitely would.