WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

Options
Good Morning MFP Peeps!

I’m sure we all know someone who’s had either Gastric Bypass, Lap band or the Gastric Sleeve surgery. With that being said:

What is your take on weight loss surgery??

Have you ever considered having weight loss surgery??

Did you ever have the surgery yourself??

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is not necessary for weight loss unless it is a last resort to lose fast b/c of other health problems. I have never considered it for myself but I do not think I have ever been to a qualifying weight either. My take in weight loss surgery is there is always a chance you will not survive any surgery, anesthesia itself is dangerous, so why take that chance with something that you can fix another way.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I have had the lap band for 3.5 years. It's just a tool like anything else; I still have to do the work. It's not quite what I expected, but I have lost and kept off 44 pounds. Still trying for more though. I have thought about having it removed, but I'm worried I'll gain everything back (it definitely helps with portion control). Cost is an issue too (not covered by insurance).
  • jshipley79
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 10 years ago and kept off 100lbs for 9 years. A medical mistake took place last year that caused an explosion of the recent 30lbs.
    I think it's a great option but something you definitely need to have all your facts on. It worked very well for me and I've loved the results. I have had friends have the surgery and they destroyed themselves. Either with excessive eating or excessive weight loss.
    Like the previous writer, it's a tool. I had a great doctor and a he offers a great support team after the surgery and I still see him 10years later.
    Good luck with it!
    Jenn
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    nope, unless death is imminent I believe people should earn it. I was 375 pounds and it hurt to walk, it hurt to tie my shoes and here I am a year later down 156 pounds. If you want it bad enough and are willing to put the work in you can do it without being carved open.
  • mizzfitnesss
    mizzfitnesss Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jshipley79, 1shauna1 and 4legsRbetterT. for you input.. A friend of mine had it done last year.. she went 215-135. It looks good on her but 135 would not like good on me at all the lowest I can go is 160... I though about it for minute because now she seems so much more. happy.... But after her told me all the trouble she when through.. The jury is still out on my having it..
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things I don't like about the surgery.

1) You lose the weight too quickly.
    2) You lose the weight, and then you gain it all back.

I have had 4 family members do the surgery and a few friends and all of them fit into one of those catoegories.
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    nope, unless death is imminent I believe people should earn it. I was 375 pounds and it hurt to walk, it hurt to tie my shoes and here I am a year later down 156 pounds. If you want it bad enough and are willing to put the work in you can do it without being carved open.

Thanks dpearson2012... Kudos to your success!!
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    There are 2 things I don't like about the surgery.

1) You lose the weight too quickly.
    2) You lose the weight, and then you gain it all back.

I have had 4 family members do the surgery and a few friends and all of them fit into one of those catoegories.

Thanks Zomb1emummy, I think the life style change is a more of a mine thing .... That may just be my new motto.. Mine of matter...thanks again
  • MichkaMeShell
    MichkaMeShell Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was on my way for the gastric sleeve. Just days away from setting a surgery date. Last minute, my insurance denied my coverage because I had lost too much weight in the three months leading up to the procedure. It was a blessing. I proved to myself that I didn't need the surgery, just a plethora of education on food in today's America.

I feel as if some people just need it. Others, such as myself, just needed education.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Good Morning MFP Peeps!

I’m sure we all know someone who’s had either Gastric Bypass, Lap band or the Gastric Sleeve surgery. With that being said:

What is your take on weight loss surgery??

Have you ever considered having weight loss surgery??

Did you ever have the surgery yourself??

Didn't Jared the Subway guy die from complications from his weight-loss surgery...?

calories in, calories out -- at a deficit.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had medical conditions that made me ineligible for the surgery. If it was an option for me, I would have probably done it - but I would have probably been one of those people who ended up gaining some of the weight back

Doing it on my own has ended up being a better decision for me

Edited: Jared the subway guy is still alive and supposedly did not have surgery
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    Thanks MichkaMeShell, sunnshhiine, shaynepoole, and billieljaime for sharing your storys and opinions …
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've never had this done and have never seriously considered it -- although I admit that when I was at my heaviest (307 lb as a 5'8" 32 yr old woman) I used to think of it as an "in the future" last resort possibility. And it scared me to think of it.

Working in a social service agency for several years, I met at least 40-50 people (most of them in their middle age or even younger) who were permanently disabled due to problems & complications with gastric bypass. Some of them had feeding tubes and/or drainage tubes for the rest of their lives.

My former mother-in-law was dangerously obese (5' tall and around 400 lb or more) and she only lost like 100 lb after gastric bypass, and then slowly regained it.

On a less serious note, I knew a 20-something woman with long & impossibly beautiful curly red hair who was only slightly overweight and had the surgery against medical advice (found a quack in another state & paid cash for the procedure) and lost all of her hair and it grew back very thin and sort of a brownish beige-colored. A decade later, she's morbidly obese. Even right after the surgery she was maybe 20 lb thinner than before the surgery.

Because of all this it's hard to see the positive side of it. I KNOW there's a huge positive for many people and I've mostly seen the negative sides...but I'm unlikely to ever consider it, especially since I've been able to get closer to a healthy weight with MFP and am still going. To each their own, though!!
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    I've never had this done and have never seriously considered it -- although I admit that when I was at my heaviest (307 lb as a 5'8" 32 yr old woman) I used to think of it as an "in the future" last resort possibility. And it scared me to think of it.

Working in a social service agency for several years, I met at least 40-50 people (most of them in their middle age or even younger) who were permanently disabled due to problems & complications with gastric bypass. Some of them had feeding tubes and/or drainage tubes for the rest of their lives.

My former mother-in-law was dangerously obese (5' tall and around 400 lb or more) and she only lost like 100 lb after gastric bypass, and then slowly regained it.

Thanks for sharing seltzermint!!

On a less serious note, I knew a 20-something woman with long & impossibly beautiful curly red hair who was only slightly overweight and had the surgery against medical advice (found a quack in another state & paid cash for the procedure) and lost all of her hair and it grew back very thin and sort of a brownish beige-colored. A decade later, she's morbidly obese. Even right after the surgery she was maybe 20 lb thinner than before the surgery.

Because of all this it's hard to see the positive side of it. I KNOW there's a huge positive for many people and I've mostly seen the negative sides...but I'm unlikely to ever consider it, especially since I've been able to get closer to a healthy weight with MFP and am still going. To each their own, though!!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I considered it for a short moment, when I was at my highest 14yrs ago and then lost 21kg on my own. After 10 yrs I was up 10kg again and now I have lost another 25kg (10old ones+15new ones) with out surgery.

Surgery is a tool, that I think should be a last resort. What I have also seen with the people I know, that have done it, is that after about 2 years they start gaining again. I see several reasons for that:

1) not enough support and education for the medical team, so they don't really change their ways longterm (exercise, healthier relationship to food, etc.)
    2) about two years after the surgery our magical bodies abosorb more nutrients and cals from the food again . Thus if no adjustments are made to their way of life, they will gain again.

I was totally oblivious to that second point, until I read a post on mfp from a lady, that had surgery and a good medical team to support her.

Surgery can only be successful if the person, who has it changes there way of life. But it is a huge change forever. Those that lose weight without surgery and go back to their old ways...guess what...they gain too.

So no matter how you lose your weight, you have to address your issues in the process...myself included.
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    Thanks for sharing flumi_f!!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    My thought is that people should seriously consider the reasons behind why they are doing it. Is it it because of a medical condition (other than just having the weight on you), is it a short cut, or is it because you think it will magically improve your life (don't laugh some people think that way)? As a previous poster said, do your research (beyond your friends), look up the risks of surgery, look up a video if you can find it, and ask your doctor plenty of questions.

My friend tried to have gastric bypass surgery five years ago and they told her if she could lose 20lbs first she 'may' be a candidate. She couldn't do it (or wouldn't?). She finally was approved two years ago and has lots of loose skin left over. She is very unhappy with how she looks (gaunt in the face, loose skin on arms, tummy, and around her knees). She said it was super painful and is afraid to get the excess skin removed. But others have had positive experiences, so it's a toss up. I believe it is something that should be considered as a last resort.
  • mizzfitnesss
    Options
    Thanks 40andFindingF!!!
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had medical conditions that made me ineligible for the surgery. If it was an option for me, I would have probably done it - but I would have probably been one of those people who ended up gaining some of the weight back

Doing it on my own has ended up being a better decision for me

Edited: Jared the subway guy is still alive and supposedly did not have surgery

Yes he is still alive, he lost all that weight due to a medical reason, AND he hit on a friend of mine at a bar in Canada, and screamed "Don't you know who I am?!?!" when she turned him down.