Struggling Here

Options
For the past week or so, I have been struggling to eat above 1000 cals per day, it's not so bad, but on the days I do Aqua Zumba and enter my cals burned it looks really bad. I don't ever eat my calories back, I just like to log my exercise xx

Replies

• morcal36
    morcal36 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any ideas guys xx
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sigh, I guess this is the theme for the day. Eat the things you ate to get overweight.
  • heatherm24
    heatherm24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is a problem if you're trying to lose weight? I wish I could only eat 1100 calories and exercise...
  • sageryu21
    sageryu21 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My trainer (at the time) said I need to be eating at least 2345 calories a day. I can't wrap my brain around that. I can't do it. I'm at the point where I fear food now so I really focus on what I'm eating and how much of it. I think the highest i've gotten without eating junk food is 800.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you undereat consistently, your body shuts down the hunger signals. It assumes you don't have access to the food.

You could eat more calorie dense foods, or just wait a few more weeks and wonder why you don't feel very well.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    My trainer (at the time) said I need to be eating at least 2345 calories a day. I can't wrap my brain around that. I can't do it. I'm at the point where I fear food now so I really focus on what I'm eating and how much of it. I think the highest i've gotten without eating junk food is 800.

Good luck with that. I don't see you managing those PT sessions on 800 calories in the future very well.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If it isn't easy for you to eat more (like, throw a protein bar in there they're usually 250-300 cals and are like a chocolate bar with protein, or an extra snack with calorie dense foods like some peanut butter or almond butter it shouldn't be difficult), you probably have a problem you should seek out professional help for. You don't have to eat junk food to eat more calories... add more lean protein to your diet that's usually a fair amount of calories well spent (like a protein shake, or some extra chicken/turkey on your meals). Especially if you are working out you should be eating more than 1000 a day or you're gonna feel like a POS in about two weeks.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    -Peanuts
    -Walnuts
    -Almonds
    -Apples
    -Bananas
    -*insert any fruit here*
    -Protein bars
    -Peanut Butter
    -Mayonaise
    -Ice Cream
    -Cookies
    -Chocolate

I have/had the same issue and am slowly increasing my intake, it hasn't made much of a difference as I never felt I was starving but adding calorie dense foods is an idea I got from a few members.
  • morcal36
    Options
    I don't understand why this is a problem if you're trying to lose weight? I wish I could only eat 1100 calories and exercise...

It is a problem, because if you don't eat enough your body will go to starvation mode and will hang on to every calorie you give it, therefore making weight loss harder. I like to get to at least 1200 cals per day so this won't happen xx
  • morcal36
    Options
    If it isn't easy for you to eat more (like, throw a protein bar in there they're usually 250-300 cals and are like a chocolate bar with protein, or an extra snack with calorie dense foods like some peanut butter or almond butter it shouldn't be difficult), you probably have a problem you should seek out professional help for. You don't have to eat junk food to eat more calories... add more lean protein to your diet that's usually a fair amount of calories well spent (like a protein shake, or some extra chicken/turkey on your meals). Especially if you are working out you should be eating more than 1000 a day or you're gonna feel like a POS in about two weeks.

Thanks for that, will try some protein bars, or peanut butter as someone else suggested. It's normally not a problem, but lately I just haven't felt hungry, lol xx :)
  • morcal36
    Options
    -Peanuts
    -Walnuts
    -Almonds
    -Apples
    -Bananas
    -*insert any fruit here*
    -Protein bars
    -Peanut Butter
    -Mayonaise
    -Ice Cream
    -Cookies
    -Chocolate

I have/had the same issue and am slowly increasing my intake, it hasn't made much of a difference as I never felt I was starving but adding calorie dense foods is an idea I got from a few members.

Will defo be trying some of these, thanks you xx :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Possibly because that is extremely low and your body cannot perform basic functions with that amount of calories?
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1000 calories isn't enough for an adult woman to eat. The fact that you don't eat back your exercise calories means that on exercise days you're likely only netting 500 calories or fewer, which is dangerously too few. Please be kind to your body and make sure you give it enough fuel to help it stay healthy. Food and calories aren't the enemies--it's not a matter of the less you eat, the more weight you lose.

You're not going to lose any weight this way because your body is holding on to every calorie it gets to function. If you can't come up with a healthier, more balanced eating plan on your own (lean proteins, complex carbs, lots of fruits and vegetables, healthy fats), then you should consider going to see a registered dietitian and your regular doctor.

Please take care of yourself.
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go through the same fits. I just don't get hungry sometimes or completely forget to eat and only have eaten 800 calories for the day. To combat this, I usually drink a smoothie with peanut butter in it. That way, I get some calories and nutrients in. Good Luck!!!
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    An avocado has about 200ish calories and can be used in a salad or in a sandwich If you don't just want to chomp one!

Pasta is high calorie so eating a pasta dish instead of salad could help as well.

Muesli, bread, cereals, steak etc all will provide a good 200 calories.

Maybe bulk up your portion sizes? I can't see your diary so I don't know what you're eating at the moment.

As someone else said, protein bars/drinks will help alot and if all else fails, Kendall mint cake is made for hikers - it's a bit like peppermint creams in a bar. Good source of calories/energy if you're struggling to hit it but full of sugar so not exactly healthy lol.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know it can be really hard. you just sometimes have to eat foods because you know you should. I can go for days not feeling hungry or having any appetite. I also struggle with eating regularly. I often have no energy and aren't loosing weight. And I know i have to eat more regularly and eat healthily. I have to make myself eat, set myself small foods like fruit or nuts, and they are helping. i think knowing there not really a meal means i don't have to take a long break in my day just to eat. And i try to eat breakfast as soon as i can manage it. not always at early morning breakfast time.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Buy some Girl Scout cookies, they're everywhere right now :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Buy some Girl Scout cookies, they're everywhere right now :)

Finally, some sanity. :flowerforyou: :drinker: