Too soon to add yoga?

Options
Just looking for opinions and advice. I started exercising again about a month ago. Right now I'm doing 5-6 days a week, alternating cardio (mostly step aerobics & treadmill) with strength training. My fitness has really improved over the last month. I'm still a beginner, but I'm seeing great results already and feel so much stronger.

I generally work out in the mornings. I would like to also start doing yoga in the evenings before bed. BASIC, beginner yoga. Mostly for stretching and a metal unwind. Do you think adding yoga would overdo it at this point? I really want to go about this the right way and don't want to put too much stress on my body.

Would love opinions! Thanks!

Replies

• pensarepink
    pensarepink Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think yoga would be an excellent addition to your fitness plan. I just recently started yoga and I typically feel really good after a session. I can't hold or even do all the poses, but I gain a little bit of skill every time I practice. I'm lucky to have found a studio that has great intro classes for beginners.

Not sure how much weight you have to lose, but if you're intimidated by doing yoga by your size I recommend Megan Garcia's yoga DVDs (Just My Size Yoga and MegaYoga).
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great idea. But you'll know yourself if you find it too much. If you do, then ease off. But beginner yoga is lovely and mostly stretching, some strength and great for unwinding.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to add. The day after working a muscle hard, I like to really stretch it with yoga. I do some stretching after the lift, too, but it feels especially nice the day after :) I also think flexibility work is very important in general, so I always say add yoga.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to add. The day after working a muscle hard, I like to really stretch it with yoga. I do some stretching after the lift, too, but it feels especially nice the day after :) I also think flexibility work is very important in general, so I always say add yoga.

This, just make sure its the pot smoking hippy yoga and not the arobics instructor on speed yoga aka yoga fit. I jest, but the slow breathing great streching version is an awesome augemention to lifting heavy and cardio.
  • fortally
    Options
    just make sure its the pot smoking hippy yoga and not the arobics instructor on speed yoga aka yoga fit.

:laugh:

I have a yoga dvd called "Candlelight Yoga," which I love. It's basically just breathing and stretching - very relaxing at the end of the day. Right now I'm just happy when I don't fall on my butt trying to reach my toes! I can't imagine trying to burn calories with yoga - I'd be laughed out of the room!

Thanks everyone! I'm still a newbie with fitness, so I really appreciate the advice!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Never too soon to add Yoga. I just had a class last night after work and I always feel so great afterwards. There are so many great benefits. SInce you just began to exercise, I think you will find it beneficial for flexiblity and stretching out those sore muscles. Try Rodney Yee's A.M/P.M. Yoga. It's gentle and very relaxing
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "t is NEVER too soon to add yoga."

The only caveat doesn't apply to you, since it looks like you are just trying to lose a few pounds: it can be impossible to get into some traditional position if you are obese.