Replies

• mizzfitnesss
    mizzfitnesss Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks piratesluver!:laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    mizzfitnesss did you mean to comment on my response? I see it's quoted but no comment! Thanks :-)
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Yes he is still alive, he lost all that weight due to a medical reason, AND he hit on a friend of mine at a bar in Canada, and screamed "Don't you know who I am?!?!" when she turned him down.
    [/quote]

Why do people say that? It's so presumptuous to assume everyone knows or cares who you are. lol
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My friend had gastric bypass surgery, she died within a week due to complications. This left two very young little girls with no mother. Scared me enough I got myself under control. I lost 74 lbs with exercise and proper eating. Gained 26 lbs back setting in hospitals for several years and the stress of my parents being ill but have work most of it back off.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    A friend's husband had it a few years back, and he lost a lot of weight very fast. Here it is several years later, and he's gained a lot of it back. What a shame and waste of money. :frown:

My friend on the other hand, decided she wanted to lose weight through diet and exercise. She's lost a TON of weight and runs all the time now. She's going to be in this year's Boston Marathon. I think her way was not only more successful but cheaper!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve surgery this past June. I had to do a medically supervised weight loss program before my surgery. All told I am down over 150 lbs, with probably about 40 lbs left to go. So far I think it's the best decision I've ever made. I am not suffering from nutritional deficiencies (yes I have extensive lab work done every few months to make sure). I receive excellent follow-up care from my surgeon and his team, including a dietician and exercise physiologist. I've had a very easy recovery, no problems with nausea, throwing up, any of the horror stories that people like to spread about wls.
    It's definitely not for everyone. As the saying goes, they operate on your stomach, not your brain. If you aren't willing to commit to serious diet and lifestyle changes after surgery, it's not a good choice for you. The surgery (sleeve in my case) just gives you the tool you need to be effective in sticking with that commitment.
    For those who say it doesn't have a good success rate and want to tell stories about their cousin's niece's hairdresser who gained all her weight back or has to have a feeding tube or whatever -- cite me some actual studies that prove it's not as successful as the "old fashioned" way. Not just anecdotal stories about random people. Here's a story that references just the most recent study to say that weight loss surgery is far more effective than trying to do it "on your own::
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-22/weight-loss-surgery-fights-obesity-better-than-diet-or-exercise.html
    For anyone who says it is cheating - I wasn't aware there are rules about how to get healthy. Again, citation please :laugh:
    I would never advocate that anyone have this or any other weight loss surgery, just because the decision is such an intensely personal one. But for anyone who might be considering it, look for facts -- pro and con -- while deciding. Not stories from internet randoms (including me, I'm an internet random too -- go do some actual research!).
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery 15 years ago and lost about 75 lbs. I gained all but 15 of it back over the intervening years. I know others who also gained back most of what they lost.

I was lucky and have had very few side effects, but I have had them. I have met others over the years who have had similar experiences to mine.

My doctor actually suggested I consider revision surgery as the field of bariatric surgery has changed a lot over the years. I decided I wanted to try losing weight loss the 'old fashioned' way first. She recommended MFP and I have since lost 45 lbs in less than 4 months. I have tried to 're-engage' my pouch to help with portion control and committed myself to following the post-surgery rules I have slid on in the past.

Surgery is a tool to help you manage portion control. However with poor diet you can defeat the tool. With or without surgery the only way to lose weight is to ensure you have a calorie deficit -- eat less and exercise more.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister had the Lap Band procedure.

My sister lost 100 lbs and did well. She still struggles though and has had complications from the procedure. Food got lodged and she could not cough it out. Ended up having to have hernia surgery to repair the damage. TWICE. Instead of resorting to getting the band filled and loosened, she has opted to exercise to help control the weight and she is doing great, Plus she likes the way her body looks now instead of just from the weight loss. She is getting leaner and more fit because of the exercise she is doing as well as the calorie intake control.

My mother on the other hand lost 100 lbs and did not learn a darn thing. She has kept the weight off but only because she eats like crap and her body rejects it so she has the dumping effect occur quite frequently. I refuse to go out to eat with her now because of this. Her hair is painfully thin and she is more malnourished than ever before. On the days that she does better her food intake consists of Panera French Onion soup and chocolate chip cookies. It it were not for the dumping effect on her body, she would be heavier than when she started.

To me, I never considered it. 1. I was never big enough to be a candidate and 2. I knew I could do it on my own with counting calories and going to the gym. I had done it before and could do it again as soon as I was ready.

I got ready and I am down 68 pounds. I eat like a maniac as around 1900 cals a day and still lose weight because I burn around 2400 a day. I still eat all the stuff I love and have no regrets.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve last year and I can say it was the BEST decision I ever made - except maybe my divorce, its a toss up really.

If you have a good weight loss center they don't just cut out your stomach and send you on your way. They have you see a therapist to determine if your mentally committed to the changes you have to make. They have you see a nutritionist who tells you all the ways your thought process on food and how you eat has to change. They have you see an exercise expert who tells you all the ways your body will change because of the surgery and the exercises that will help you the most. They have you go to support groups and remind you over and over and over again that the surgery is a tool, like weights and treadmills and food scales. It only works if you keep trying to make it work.

Yes people have it, lose weight and then gain it all back. Its because they stop trying. They stop asking their support system for help. They don't look for help from others who have gone thru the surgery, they just listen to people who aren't in the same situation and assume they know best.

If you haven't had the surgery, you shouldn't judge people who have. You have no idea how hard we all have to work still and FOREVER!!! If you think its cheating or the easy way you have a very narrow minded perspective and you should be better informed. You can exercise and lose weight and slack off and have cheat days/weeks. We don't have those options if we want to be successful. People who do everything their WL Team tells them to do have to carefully monitor food and water and vitamins and exercise - EVERYDAY!! There is no cheating and the consequences for slacking off and not monitoring these things can land us in the hospital. But we are people who know that this possibility is worth it for us to be healthy.

Stop telling people about the horror stories you have heard and be supportive. No two people lose weight the same way on the same diet and exercise program, if they did MFP wouldn't be full of people saying they are quitting because after 3 weeks they don't see results.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it to be an "easy fix". That is the misconception. It is a tool, like a Fitbit, a food scale or any other. At the end of the day it's still up to me to watch what I put in my mouth and eat healthily. This just really helps with portion control which I need. But what I have been through in the last 3.5 years, hasn't been easy. I still struggle daily. If you don't need the help, then kudos to you, you are stronger than me. I just read the poster above me, and I agree with you, girl!
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    I am not a fan of the weight loss surgeries and think they should only be used if someone is so obese that exercise is out of the question or they have severe health issues preventing them from losing weight. Complications are definitely real and I know of one person who died from bypass surgery. I don't think altering your body should ever be considered an 'easy' fix or the easy way out.

I know several who have had lap band surgery/bypass with varying levels of success. A common thing I've heard from people is that it doesn't treat the underlying reason why they were overweight in the first place. Many people discover they have an underlying issue with mental illness or addiction. Once they have the surgery, those issues deepen because they no longer have the ability to use food as a coping mechanism. Most surgery programs have a group therapy element built into it, but it doesn't always help people.

Just my two cents.
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy surgery roughly two months ago. I'm 5'5", started at 271lb, and am currently down to 227lb. My blood pressure and blood work are already greatly improved, and hopefully I can go off my CPAP in a month or two.

Yes, there are risks to any surgery, WLS included, especially when you're obese, have breathing or cardio issues, or have other risk factors for complications with anesthesia. You should consider these carefully and discuss them with your surgeon. It's also important to read the medical literature to see potential outcomes and success rates.

It is not a magic cure, and it is by no means an easy cop-out or "magic wand." It does not cure head hunger, though the sleeve does remove the physical hunger for most patients (myself included). If any of the many honest efforts I have made in dieting, clean eating, exercise, supervised nutritional counseling, personal training, supplements, etc. etc. etc. had successfully let me reach a healthy weight and stay there-- even with continued hard work and compliance-- believe me, I would NOT have chosen to deal with the pain of having my insides rearranged.

It is absolutely possible to re-gain weight after surgery IF you are non-compliant and go back to eating crap. After surgery, you can eat less food (around 1/2 cup in a sitting, maybe less), so if you eat twinkies and ice cream you will probably gain it back; most research I found on PubMed suggests that regain is linked to post-op dietary noncompliance.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    We have many, MANY members here on MFP that have successfully had sleeve or gastric bypass or one of the other types of WLS.
    Getting a surgery to aid with your weight loss is not "taking the easy way out" , the person is still required to exercise, practice portion control and learn about healthy eating.
    Actually we have several "groups" with very good and positive information about WLS, i'm afraid that some people keep it a secret because of negative responses. ..... but my support is behind people who figure out how to maintain a better weight and better health WITH or "without" surgery!
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2005 (at age 35). I started at 345 lbs and had been super morbidly obese since approximately the age of 13. I have since been diagnosed with an eating disorder. (Surprise, surprise!) Within a year of the surgery I had lost 175 lbs. I had no problems with the surgery and the weight fell off. I had several skin removal surgeries, as well, and they were a bit more tricky to recover from, but nothing very problematic. Then I got cocky and started breaking the rules and gained fifty lbs back over a couple of years (wherein I steered clear of stepping on the scale). At that point (about two years ago) I realized that I was right on track to end up right back at 345 lbs. So I started taking care of myself, and started to realize that EVERYONE who wants to have a healthy weight and be fit and happy must eat properly and exercise. Since then, in getting some counselling for my eating disorder, I can see that I have, for most of my life been bingeing and restricting. A great way to get yourself up to 345 lbs. Here I am on MFP, trying to lose 35 more lbs and get down to my goal weight. And STAY THERE. That is the biggest challenge, for me.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You see, you'll have two sides of the spectrum. Those very much for it, and those against it.

Personally, I did it basically as a last resort. I have struggled with obesity all of my life. I was always the big kid, or big boned or whatever excuse I had at the time. I've been through diet after diet after diet with no long term success. Weightwatchers, medically supervised, adkins, South Beach, suppliments, you name it, I tried it. I also succumbed to the food that I love.

So, I had RNY bypass surgery Sept, 2012. Absolutely changed my life for the better. You can see my weight loss. 90 or 100 of that is from the surgery, the rest is all me. Yes, it is true, about 50% of weight loss surgery patients gain it all back within 5 years. The key is education and vigilance. I was well educated from the start ,not just about the surgery and what to expect, but what I should be doing for the years afterward. They preached to me that it's just a tool, and they are right. The surgery was a tool that made me change my lifestyle for about a year. After that, the rest is on me. I'm okay with that. I've been doing just fine knowing that.

However, during my research, and during my experiences since the surgery I've discovered many people who were not nearly as educated as I was about the process and the after-effects. Most of them didn't have the same education, and thus have started to gain, or gained it all back, while I have kept it off.

So in the end, yes I think the surgery is a good idea for those who are morbidly obese, as I was. For those those that only have 30 or 40 lbs to lose, the surgery is probably too drastic of an option.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve in October and like tj1376 I feel it's one of the best decisions I have made. I was fortunate enough to go through the process with a surgery group that is very highly rated. I made the commitment to lose weight months before my surgery date was scheduled. I used MFP and made some changes, and I was able to lose 70 lbs in 9 months before surgery. That is a lot to be able to lose on my own, but at 382 lbs, I still had 162 more to go to get to my goal weight of 150. Could I have done it on my own? Maybe, but my health issues and my history led me to the decision to have surgery.

I have had no problems as a result of the surgery. I haven't lost any hair, I haven't been sick. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, doing both cardio and strength training. My health has improved tremendously, and so has my quality of life. I still log all of my food and exercise in MFP. I do what everyone else has to do to lose, and I have an additional tool that helps me too.

My feeling is that you really need to try to change before surgery to make the surgery work for you. It's a tool, not the solution to your problems. I had therapy for a year prior to making the decision to have surgery to deal with my food issues. I worked very hard to prepare myself mentally and physically.

My opinion is that most of the failures come from three things: lack of preparation, lack of real commitment, and not following the instructions of your medical team. You would be surprised at how many people really don't grasp that they have to make lifestyle changes to make this work. It isn't magic and it won't work by itself. I see people posting in groups about how hard it is in the beginning, and I think to myself, really? You didn't know it would be hard and challenging? What DID you think?? I know someone who had sleeve surgery and one week later drank a glass of wine. I can't even fathom that level of stupidity. I also saw someone post in a group that they tried a bite of cake a couple of weeks out. So yes people regain and have problems but those are quite often the people who don't do what they are supposed to do.

I find that many people on MFP are so against WLS. Most of those people don't know firsthand what it's like to be morbidly obese, or they haven't tried and failed at weight loss many times over. If WLS is used correctly, it's an amazing tool that can be positively life changing.
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was on my way for the gastric sleeve. Just days away from setting a surgery date. Last minute, my insurance denied my coverage because I had lost too much weight in the three months leading up to the procedure. It was a blessing. I proved to myself that I didn't need the surgery, just a plethora of education on food in today's America.

I feel as if some people just need it. Others, such as myself, just needed education.

^^ This was me also, except I was just getting ready to go to a consult and had been watching my diet and recording progress since that was part of the requirement for approval to have the surgery done. I noticed that I was losing weight at a fairly decent pace, so I decided to put the consultation off to see if I hit a plateu or if it would keep going. I started walking for a while and when I was ready and worked up enough courage, I joined a gym to start working out. I was around 450 lbs 3 years ago and now I currently weigh around 260 lbs with my lowest weight so far at 235 lbs. Education and fitness were the keys for me. I'm not saying surgery is never an option, but that it's going to be hard work either way. Just make sure it's necessary and that you're not looking for a shortcut. It won't fix the problems with your will power.
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    When I looked into the procedure a while ago, I saw that when most people who failed with those operations, it was because they adapted and started eating very small portions more often throughout the day. Heck, I already do that. In addition, everyone I know of that had it done has had some sort of complication. No thanks, I'll stick to the old fashioned methods even if it takes me years to do so.
  • jaysayres
    Options
    I saw a pretty good article about the pro's and con's of weightloss surgery from a financial perspective. I thought it was pretty good.

Personnally, with some hard work and eating right i think anybody should be able to acheive their goals. But if this is something that will save a life, it beats the alternative.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/01/pf/weight-loss-surgery.moneymag/index.html?iid=EL

hope this helps
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have researched it and do not care for WLS.
    But how you feel about it and what you do is none of my business. Carry on.