Any ladies here plateau before their periods?

Options
I've been kind of driving myself crazy about a plateau, but then I realized I expect to get my period soon. I think the same thing happened last month too! I guess I'll see if I lose the weight/break the plateau after, but I imagine this can't be restricted to just me?

I weigh my food and I am strict about logging so I imagine it's not that. I'm really overweight so I tend not to notice bloating, nor do I generally have other symptoms, so I guess this would be one? :\

Replies

• Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I just complained the other day like a foolish baby until I realized my period was the culprit. I was so disgusted with my post. I feel your pain. I just kept fluctuating from the same lb lost. Scale wouldn't budge. Then my period dropped and I said "Ohhhhhh!" Lol, we are kin.
  • klgibb1
    Options
    From the research I have done over the years your period should actually not effect your weightloss. Everyone reacts differently to their period so depending on how bad yours are that could be effecting you. I know I have terrible cramps so its harder for me to workout at these times and I dont feel like being up and about as much. This obviously effects any weight loss.

BUT good news!!! Working out on your period you actually burn more calories!!!!!!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am lucky if I plateau. Normally I will gain like 5-7 pounds... However, after its all done, that weight is gone again sometimes with extra! Darn water retention.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done over the years your period should actually not effect your weightloss. Everyone reacts differently to their period so depending on how bad yours are that could be effecting you. I know I have terrible cramps so its harder for me to workout at these times and I dont feel like being up and about as much. This obviously effects any weight loss.

BUT good news!!! Working out on your period you actually burn more calories!!!!!!

I disagree, personally. Hormones affect a lot of things in your body (they pretty much run it), so I don't see how they can a) not affect weight loss and b) cause you to burn more calories during workouts? That seems incongruous. To each their own, though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been kind of driving myself crazy about a plateau, but then I realized I expect to get my period soon. I think the same thing happened last month too! I guess I'll see if I lose the weight/break the plateau after, but I imagine this can't be restricted to just me?

I weigh my food and I am strict about logging so I imagine it's not that. I'm really overweight so I tend not to notice bloating, nor do I generally have other symptoms, so I guess this would be one? :\
    That's not a plateau, that's natural water retention.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Or a plateau change your routine and push yourself harder. Add some weights for a while. I have gotten through 2myself-F
  • silenceinspace
    Options

That's not a plateau, that's natural water retention.

Right, that's what I suspected. Like I noted, it's hard for me to tell when I'm bloated because I'm very overweight. In that case it wouldn't be a plateau--was just looking for others' experiences. Thanks :)
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am menopausal now but prior to that in the past I was plagued by a 1 kilo (2.2lb) gain leading up to my periods.
    Its likely fluid of course.
    It used to drive me crazy.
    I never found a solution. I used to weigh myself once a month (in the end) a week after my period and always showed a net loss for the month. I found this less distressing.
    Now I am past all that I consistently show my weight loss on a weekly basis.
  • silenceinspace
    Options
    I am menopausal now but prior to that in the past I was plagued by a 1 kilo (2.2lb) gain leading up to my periods.
    Its likely fluid of course.
    It used to drive me crazy.
    I never found a solution. I used to weigh myself once a month (in the end) a week after my period and always showed a net loss for the month. I found this less distressing.
    Now I am past all that I consistently show my weight loss on a weekly basis.

That's so frustrating! I'm glad you're past it though. Thanks!
  • juul76
    juul76 Posts: 20
    Options
    I always find it interesting reading about how the period affects the weight. I always read everyone gains weight or stays the same before a period, I always seem to have my LOSS just before my period... I must be the only woman looking forward to my period because my scales are nice to me!
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's exactly where I am right now. I find it so frustrating. I really try to stick to my cals prior to my period, but then I still ended up gaining 1kg this week. I also have a lot more cravings and feel hungrier than usual the week before, so I wouldn't be surprised about gaining anything. Anyway, I agree that the hormones affect it, and luckily it is meant to fall right off as soon as the period starts, but it just makes all the other symptoms even less bearable.

Oh and while I wasn't trying to lose weight I also gained about 2kg the week prior to my period, so I guess for me it'll be the same every month.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes water retention is usually the culprit for me, I wouldn't always 'feel' it as such but the scales never lie. I basically have a self rule of not weighing myself a few days before, during or after to keep me motivated. I started today but luckily stil managed a 4lb weight loss as of yesterday's weigh in. Needless to say, I shall not be going near the scales until everything is done and over with.

Two things that can make a difference IMO are green tea and watching your salt intake......this helps to at least reduce the water retention if anything. All in all , I always lose weight after my period providing I stick to my workouts even if reduced for a while.
  • bridgieNZ
    bridgieNZ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ohh I'm not the only one. I noticed it last time I was losing weight and thought I must be crazy but for what ever reason it happens every month
  • mveach0822
    mveach0822 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same here! I love getting my period. For some reason my weight loss is double and it stays off after my period. Also, I don't ever have any water retention. It's odd.

But..I now realize this was all due to me being on the pill. I stopped the pill recently and now I retain water like crazy during period time and no weightloss. BOO! That darn pill was magic!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I stop losing about 2 weeks before my period, then gain back 2-3 lbs until the next one. I only lose weight between day 3-4 of my period and the following week.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Yes. I go up 1-2 lbs around the time I'm ovulating and again 1-2 lbs during my period.
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always stayed the same or gained the week before my period - however the the past 3 months, the week before my period I have noticed that i HAVE AN insatiable Appetite - so I know the 'decorators' are on their way. I fight hard to eat to my allowance, possibly slightly over and i drink drink DRINK ! - this has worked for me, and in the past 3 months the week before my period has for the first time in my life become my best weight loss weeks! each time i lose 3lb! it MUST be the water - i drink SOOOOO much
  • RosemarieSenpai
    RosemarieSenpai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    2-3lbs before my period! I HATE IT! It makes me super miserable when I'm having pre-menstrational syndrome...
    I gotta start taking some Maxidol or something soon. *sighs*