Macros Help

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for some advice on macronutrients. Or anything else you could share that would be helpful.
About me:
I am a female, 4 ft 11.5in, 157 lbs. My body fat percent is at a whopping 39.7% (per the trainer at the gym)
I workout with weights for 1 hour on Mon, Weds, Fri, Sat, and I do Aerobics for 1 hour Mon, Thurs, Sat and sunday if i can. So roughly 7 hours a week split between weights and cardio. I just started this routine up again 2 weeks ago, but i previously did this type of routine for almost 2 years (stopped about 8 months ago). Of course I'd like to reach these goals sooner than later, but I don't want to stress myself out with a timeline just yet. I work full time and I am a graduate student.

My goals are to be within a healthy BMI (I think about 124 lbs is the max for my height- i'd agree, i previously weighed 130 and had some pounds to shed still) and also to decrease my body fat to a healthy 21-24%

I just opened my diary so you can take a look....because of the 8 month long hiatus (resulting in a 30 lb gain, yikes) there really is only logging for the past 2 weeks (and i went to a Brewfest on saturday..... I know a whole days worth of my calories in beer wtf)

MFP has the set macronutrient levels, but I probably need a lot more protein. I just don't know what kind of split to do, Its at 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat currently.

What do you guys suggest based on my goals/ routine/ current body type?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Replies

• hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi,

First off, I am not a nutritionist, or a dietitian, so anything I provide is just what I have come across during my own searching. Obviously, the advice you can get from a good nutritionist/dietitian is going to be the best.

Articles about nutrition and/or macros:

1. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html

2. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/nutrition/nutrition-fundamentals (diet percentages and energy density from the list)

This guy has some really great articles (overall) and his descriptions of how to interpret macros are helpful when you are first designing meal plans. His articles focus heavily on the science of nutrition, so depending on what articles you are reading, some are more technical than others.

Good luck with your meal planning and work out routine. I wish you every success! :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am looking for some advice on macronutrients. Or anything else you could share that would be helpful.
    About me:
    I am a female, 4 ft 11.5in, 157 lbs. My body fat percent is at a whopping 39.7% (per the trainer at the gym)
    I workout with weights for 1 hour on Mon, Weds, Fri, Sat, and I do Aerobics for 1 hour Mon, Thurs, Sat and sunday if i can. So roughly 7 hours a week split between weights and cardio. I just started this routine up again 2 weeks ago, but i previously did this type of routine for almost 2 years (stopped about 8 months ago). Of course I'd like to reach these goals sooner than later, but I don't want to stress myself out with a timeline just yet. I work full time and I am a graduate student.

My goals are to be within a healthy BMI (I think about 124 lbs is the max for my height- i'd agree, i previously weighed 130 and had some pounds to shed still) and also to decrease my body fat to a healthy 21-24%

I just opened my diary so you can take a look....because of the 8 month long hiatus (resulting in a 30 lb gain, yikes) there really is only logging for the past 2 weeks (and i went to a Brewfest on saturday..... I know a whole days worth of my calories in beer wtf)

MFP has the set macronutrient levels, but I probably need a lot more protein. I just don't know what kind of split to do, Its at 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat currently.

What do you guys suggest based on my goals/ routine/ current body type?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Try fat2fitradio com using your numbers see what their website provides for caloric intake needs. From there work through eating at a deficit of 20% of your caloric need. 2300 less 20%(given your numbers above, and your workouts per week) is much different then 1200.
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great website as well to figure out your proper macros!

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Good luck with your journey!! :)
  • leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the sites, I will check those out when I am home from work.
  • stpt_guy
    stpt_guy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have the MyFitnessPal app on you rmobile phone it actually shows you what they suggest for your macros. Obviously you can compare and adjust based on the other websites, but i have found that I don't even focus on my macros at this point, I watch my caloric intake and let my Fitbit adjust how much I have available in calories based on my daily activity.