how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back

Does anyone really think yoga burns calories?

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) can get it. But you are going to earn it for sure. Also, lift weights. Building muscle over time burns more fat. But youhave to eat. Otherwise it is all for naught.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back
    Burning calories isn't the purpose of yoga. Do you say the same thing about the hours and hours you spend just sleeping every single day? It seems like such a waste.
    l_bc23bb79.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

Incorrect use of HRM.

Outright delusion.

Etc.

A 200-pounder has to run over 7miles to net a 900 calorie burn - but people are going to believe what they want to believe. And then they'll stall on weight loss and call the advice-givers rude meanies...

And so it goes, this thing of ours....

EDIT: There is the 5% or so of MFP who is fit enough and active enough to do it, but the vast majority here are completely out to lunch on their burns.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

Incorrect use of HRM.

Outright delusion.

Etc.

A 200-pounder has to run over 7miles to net a 900 calorie burn - but people are going to believe what they want to believe. And then they'll stall on weight loss and call the advice-givers rude meanies...

EDIT: There is the 5% or so of MFP who is fit enough and active enough to do it, but the vast majority here are completely out to lunch on their burns.

I mostly agree with you, but I can do it with just over an hour of easy running, and I seriously doubt I'm in the top 5% of MFP fitness-wise. I think being somewhat fit and 50 pounds overweight is my secret.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree with you, but I can do it with just over an hour of easy running, and I seriously doubt I'm in the top 5% of MFP fitness-wise. I think being somewhat fit and 50 pounds overweight is my secret.

Trust me, the fact that you can (and do) actually run for an hour puts you well into the MFP upper echelon.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hour and a half usually nets me around 1200, cycling and walking. I wear a BodyMedia so its a pretty accurate estimate.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Burning calories isn't the purpose of yoga.

Clearly all types of yoga aren't created equal. Yoga gives me a pretty good workout.

To the topic at hand, I can run off 900 cals no problem, but that's about the only way I can hit that high of a # in a single session.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Give DDPYoga a shot. Then come tell me it doesn't burn calories.

Go through Strength Builder.. and when you are done you'll be sweating like a cold beer on a hot day, and shaking like a leaf in a gale.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do 20-40 minutes on the stepmill, and hour of body pump, and an hour of Zumba on Saturdays. I burn 900-1200 calories.
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I wear the bodybugg and it auto adjusts my calories based on the device.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, my 10.2 mile slog through the slush, snow and ice yesterday earned me nearly 1200 calories in 1:37:00. Get your HR up to an average of 161 for an hour and a half and you'll burn the calories, too.
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    its dependant i walk to commute so thats 80 minutes walking plus a dog wlk and a 40-60 min work out a day easily does me a 600-800 burn!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    An hour of Zumba would get me 800+ if I pushed myself...and I'm not carrying a whole lot of extra weight, so it can be done.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    There may be ways to burn more calories, but Yoga is strenght training and helps to build muscle. It also stretches and tones your muscles. Monday is Yoga day, Tuesday is cardio day...
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Incorrect use of HRM.

Outright delusion.

Etc.

Mean Ol negative Nancy... MOST of the people here use HRMs or the monitors on the gym equiptment, its easy to get up into the high hundreds burning cals if you keeo your heart rate higher for longer periods of time.

I use a Polar Monitor, and during my longer Les Mills Combat cardio workouts i can get up into the low 600's if i really push myself, and thats in about 55 minutes.
    its completely possible.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Clearly all types of yoga aren't created equal. Yoga gives me a pretty good workout.
    That's still not its purpose.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    with running its physics...it takes x amount of energy to move x amount of weight over x amount of distance...i typically burn 1500+ calories during a half marathon but as my wieght goes down so will that burn!

There it is ^ That's your answer.

Now stop worrying about other peoples burns, cals, eat backs or not. Concentrate on your goals and outcomes. You are not them. Let them worry about themselves. Geez....
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

That's still not its purpose.

Different forms of yoga, different results, different purposes.

the purpose of running is to catch food, escape predators, or cover ground quickly. But it also works as cardio. ;)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of your workout, really.
    I work out until I feel like I'm about to fall apart.