Learning to Run

Options
Hi,

I may be overly cautious, but I just don't want to do anything detrimental to my health.

I really want to learn to run on the treadmills at the gym. I found this program that teaches you to run - saying start off by just walking for 5 minutes, then jogging for 30 seconds. I'm nervous that I'll fall on my face or embarrass myself in some way. I'm quite overweight, but I find that I'm bored with just walking on the treadmill.

Am I trying to do too much? Or should I just go for it?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    go for it.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Do it! You will be fine :)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Definitely GO FOR IT!!! You will probably surprise yourself :)
  • AGirlandHerFrenchie
    Options
    I agree - you never know until you try and I bet you'd be surprised. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself - everyone looks silly at the gym.

Go for it!! :smile:
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're following the Couch to 5k! Its made for people who are not runners. I am only overweight by a few pounds but I was definitely not a runner! Now I can run a mile without stopping or dying, im a few weeks into the program. Treadmills are easy to run on once you get the hang of them!

Sometimes I read when I walk (carefully) or I watch something on the tv at the gym. Keeps my occupied for the 30mins I am at the gym.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    You will never regret exercising. Go for it. We have a way of putting fear in our own hearts. Look how many people run on treadmills and DONT fall!!! That's going to be you!
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Girl, I weigh 350 pounds and am working on the c25k program. I'm still on week one and plan on staying there until I can finish the 20 minutes (because I have an ironman woman trapped under about 200 pounds of extra weight).

Do it !! Do it !! Do it !!

You will love yourself for it and will feel such a sense of accomplishment.

I support you.

Eva
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I started the couch to 5k a few months ago. I just ran around my neighborhood the first few weeks. It really worked. I stopped being strict to the program but since then I've been working out more with cardio (spinning) and doing more strength training and now I can jog for like, 15 minutes straight on the treadmill... on a good day. But that's still pretty impressive. I used to only be able to jog for a maximum of 1 minute or so.

Keep at it and don't be embarrassed. I'm always in awe of people who can run no matter their size so you might be inspiring others to try it themselves.
  • osram34
    Options
    Just do it... remember you mind will always tell you to stop before you should actually stop so step it up and dont give up... my rule of thumb is when i think i should stop i always go for an extra 15 minutes. :D when your done you will be thankfull of those extra 15 minutes and that by itself will make u feel invincible!
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do it! I did the same program, starting at 250 pounds and now I run almost 20 miles a week. I found that my body adapted quickly but the mental part was what held me back. I had to retrain my way of thinking. I love the accomplishment I feel after a run now. I had never ever dreamed of becoming a runner!
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    Starting slow and building up will train you to use the treadmill. However, if you are overweight, I'd suggest you consider using the ellipticals until you take some excess weight off. The elliptical will be lower impact on your knees and ankles and should reduce the risk of injury to those joints. I know of people who have lost weight by walking/jogging but they paid a price in the knees. Also, on the elliptical, you control the speed you go and are not trying to keep up with a motor. Just add resistance and, like a treadmill, it will monitor your heart rate and calories burned.
  • buttercupke
    Options
    Go for I was scared too but it really isn't that bad...I am not graceful at all I am always running into walls and I have ran on the treadmill a couple of times now its really easy...Just go for it!!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    just increase the speed 1 click up at a time. As soon as you feel uncomfortable then click down again. I think it feels strange at first, but you will get used to it in no time.

Once you realise that YOU are in control of the machine there'll be no stopping you. And there is always the emergency cord IF you do get into trouble. But I wouldnt go too fast at first. Just build up the pace.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I swear you all make me fearless :)

I'm looking forward to testing it out now!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I may be overly cautious, but I just don't want to do anything detrimental to my health.

I really want to learn to run on the treadmills at the gym. I found this program that teaches you to run - saying start off by just walking for 5 minutes, then jogging for 30 seconds. I'm nervous that I'll fall on my face or embarrass myself in some way. I'm quite overweight, but I find that I'm bored with just walking on the treadmill.

Start off walking at 3mph, then up it to 3 1/2 mph, then after a couple of minutes at that speed, up it to 4mph, then after another two minutes up to 4 1/2mph and then finally to 5mph at which point you will be jogging.

The reason I say to do it like that is because as you up your speed bit by bit, you will get used to that speed before upping it again. If you jump on the treadmill and after walking at, say 3ph, you were to whack it straight up to 5 or 6mph, you may stumble and it will put you off.

Just start off slowly and gradually, there will be plenty of time to get right into it in a short while xxx
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    Hi,

Start off walking at 3mph, then up it to 3 1/2 mph, then after a couple of minutes at that speed, up it to 4mph, then after another two minutes up to 4 1/2mph and then finally to 5mph at which point you will be jogging.

The reason I say to do it like that is because as you up your speed bit by bit, you will get used to that speed before upping it again. If you jump on the treadmill and after walking at, say 3ph, you were to whack it straight up to 5 or 6mph, you may stumble and it will put you off.

Just start off slowly and gradually, there will be plenty of time to get right into it in a short while xxx

Thanks for the tip :)

That's very helpful! I'm excited about it. I'll be trying it tonight.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it, but DON'T over do it! I did and I've been in physiotherapy for the last 5 weeks :(

So yea, walk/jog combos, build it up. Wear good shoes.

Stop if it hurts.

"No pain, no therapy!"

If you can, and you've got places to do it, and it's not snowing, try outside running. It's much nicer and you meet nice people along the way, and it's great passing all the people out for a walk :-)