how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I do a half hour of yoga (and easy wii fit yoga at that) and I have lost over 90 lbs and have been maintaining for over 6 months...

Find out what your BMR and TDEE are then eat somewhere between them...and move during your day, doing what ever exercise you like( I mix it up between yoga and elliptical, and strength, etc.)and you will lose. EAT FOOD to fuel your body so you have energy to burn calories. Stop obsessing on what others do/look like/or say about you, and be the healthiest you you can be,for you, and no one else...
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Asks the same person who wanted to know how much weight she'd lose if she only ate 800 calories per day. OP is essentially looking to net zero calories per day, it would seem, by burning 900+ calories on that VLCD. Let's not encourage such madness, ok? Ok.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I burned 969 calories in 90 minutes of roller blading Saturday night. I wear a HRM so I know it's at least relatively accurate. I skate hard and my HR pretty much didn't drop below 160-170 the entire time.
    *sigh*

I miss rollerblading.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I easily burn 1200+ working a shift at the barn mucking out stalls, cleaning water buckets, hauling hay, and turning horses out/bringing them in. This takes about 4 hours so figure 300 calories an hour, not out of reach. I burn about 400 calories an hour during hard rides where I'm mostly trotting, cantering and jumping. 250 an hour walking and trotting. I can burn 500 an hour running. That's using a Polar FT4 HRM at 170 lbs. I used to burn a lot more when I weighed more.

It all boils down to the effort you are putting into it, your current fitness level, and your current weight. Plus you have to feed your body appropriately, for example, a lot more than 800 calories a day to sustain your energy for that kind of activity.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Asks the same person who wanted to know how much weight she'd lose if she only ate 800 calories per day. OP is essentially looking to net zero calories per day, it would seem, by burning 900+ calories on that VLCD. Let's not encourage such madness, ok? Ok.

Yep, pretty much this

OP, if you're only eating 800-900 calories a day, I wouldn't recommend you even do an hour of yoga. Learn to develop a healthy relationship with food (fuel), eat, eat some more, and then see about doing some exercise. Until then, insanity and other intense methods of exercise are not for you.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I burn 910 in 90 mins with a great Zumba class then Core afterward.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I mechanic as a hobby. When doing so I walk around my shop (2500 sq. ft.) and turn wrenches pretty much non stop for 12+ hours at a time. While I'm not winded I can tell by the end of the day that I've done work. Since there's no exercise entry for turning wrenches I just use walking, 2mph, for the number of hours I spend at the shop since its the least physically exerting option. It always results in massive calories burnt, 1000-1700 depending on how long I work. I always wonder if it could possibly be accurate. It might be overestimating since I'm not winded when I do it, but I could possibly be burning more since I feel like the work I do is definitely more exerting than walking.

I work in a restaurant for a living. Often I spend 8+ hours at a time standing, jogging from station to station, making food rapidly, etc. I use walking for this also. In all honesty, this works me harder than the shop does but I wonder if I am using the best exercise entry for this, too. I will work up a sweat when I do it but again, according to the app, walking slowly for 8+ hours at a time is worth 1000+ calories.

In both these cases I get home late at night, sometimes eat dinner, and go to bed. I don't consume nearly the calories the app says I've burned. Sometimes it results in zero calorie intake for that day since I've burned more than I ate. My brother doubts I am burning as many as the app says I am. He may be right, but I do know I'm burning way more than the average person does throughout a day. Who knows?

When you set up your goals for MFP, it'll have asked you what your normal activity levels are- sedentary, moderate or highly active. If you entered active to reflect the fact that you've got a pretty physical job, it's been accounted for when MFP came up with your TDEE; logging that activity is redundant.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I get mine by running the vacuum for 15 minutes. That's 900 minimum! i broke my metabolisms in the other direction!
    :laugh: I see so many things like this. I'm like sure...LOL.

btw I never burn even close to 1000 during an hour of zumba. In 30 minutes I'll burn about 250 cals. I simply have a hard time believing anyone burns 1000 calories in an hour in zumba.

Then again. I'm 5'4 and 133lbs. Someone bigger than me prob burns much more. But 1000 in an hour? ya...
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

possession :devil:
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I hear with an intense kettle bell workout people achieve that type of burn.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    2 hours running gets me >1000 calories burned (long runs)

This. Long runs are the only way I'm going to get even close to 1000 cal. (and even then, I wonder)

Long runs will do it (2 hours for me = 12 miles= 1200 calories)

So will hiking up a mountain.

Or biking all over your city for a day.

Or an hour of lifting plus an hour of running with a cool down walk.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why is it any of your business. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway:
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I get mine by running the vacuum for 15 minutes. That's 900 minimum! i broke my metabolisms in the other direction!

btw I never burn even close to 1000 during an hour of zumba. In 30 minutes I'll burn about 250 cals. I simply have a hard time believing anyone burns 1000 calories in an hour in zumba.

Then again. I'm 5'4 and 133lbs. Someone bigger than me prob burns much more. But 1000 in an hour? ya...

What's your HR at during zumba?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Just up your cleaning intensity from light to moderate and you'll get 900 easy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

This is all dependent on how quickly you run, not so much how much the person weighs. A person's weight has some effect but not as much as distance travelled/speed.

Distance...yes, weight......yes

A 200lb person running 5 miles will expend approximately 630 cal (net doing so) a 100lb person running the same distance will expend half the energy to cover the same distance Source Runners Word formula .63 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)

Running faster just means you cover the same distance in less time.....
  • Bloomboom
    Bloomboom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished a workout on my elliptical. I wore a chest strap.

I weigh 166 lbs (now)
    I am a 47 yr old male

Here are the numbers it just gave me
    Average heart rate: 138
    Strides: 8006
    Distance: 4.68 mi
    Calories burned: 610
    Time: 50 min

I also have a FitBit. I take it off when I run on my treadmill or use my elliptical and I only record 75% of my calories burned (per the machines) back on MFP. Should this be somewhat accurate?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    2 hours running gets me >1000 calories burned (long runs)

This. Long runs are the only way I'm going to get even close to 1000 cal. (and even then, I wonder)

Long runs will do it (2 hours for me = 12 miles= 1200 calories)

So will hiking up a mountain.

Or biking all over your city for a day.

Or an hour of lifting plus an hour of running with a cool down walk.

In sum, people burn that much by working hard.

Also, i wanted to comment regarding VLCD's= You will NEVER work out this hard while on a VLCD. Deal with it.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am abit of a noob here but I do 30 mins run on tne treadmill, weights, then 60 mins run (when I have the time often it's 30 and 30) but tne machines tell my its 300 ish calories for 30 mins so on a good day I guess I can get through 900 calories. Am I wrong?
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Another thing to realize is that a lot of people overestimate their burns, and really are NOT burning 900 calories.

Also there are people like me, I use a bodymedia armband, it automatically subtracts what I burn, but I set my NET calorie goal at 1200, so first thing in the morning, before I've done a thing, bodymedia adjusts it, saying I've burned around 300 calories... its just bringing it up to my BMR. Then, later when I actually workout out, it will subtract more. And if I have a day like yesterday where I was active almost all day, (workout at home in the morning, then church, then spent four hours at the Y, doing strength training first, then fast walking, then elliptical, the swimming) the bodymedia will take all that activity and subtract it, making it appear as if I burned all that in one workout, when in reality there were two separate time periods of working out, one of which lasted 45 minutes, and the next which lasted about 3 hours (I was at the Y 4 hours, I figure first I changed into my workout clothes, then later changed into my swimsuit, then after showered and changed back into my street clothes... all together about an hour was probably spent in the locker room), plus there was the automatic morning adjustment to bring my goal up to my BMR, but if anyone looks at my diary, all they'll see is I "burned 1,326 calories in exercise".
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

What's your HR at during zumba?
    While we wait for her to respond, I will give my deets for comparison. I would have been something like 170-175 lb. at 5' 7" and my heart rate was probably 170-175 on average. It goes up to 180-185 readily.