5"1 & want to lose 20 lbs, best methods to achieve my goal ?

Options
I am 5"1 and want to lose about 20-25 lbs. My goal weight is 115 lbs. I am now currently doing Zumba 3 x's a week (60 minutes) each time.. and I am starting the calorie counting today.... I want to reach my goal by May if possible.... I have thought about doing P90x, Insanity, or the P90x-Insanity Hybrid... but I have also heard Jillian Michaels workouts seem to be working well for some women.. I would just like advice on what I should cut out of my diet to help lose weight faster... and workouts to get fit and healthy!

Thanks in advance...

I also right now have been drinking 1 dr pepper a day , and I have read that if I cut that out It could tremendously help me with losing weight ... Any opinions on this?

Replies

• piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm 5"5 and lost 20lbs in just over 4 months. I have no doubt you can do it too! Just stick to it!

Cut the pop out. That's 200 calories a day less! Worked for me!
  • omgitsrubyy
    Options
    Hey Brooke! I'm also 5'1 135ish pounds and am trying to cut 15-20 pounds by April... (spring break). I used to work out every OTHER day but wasn't seeing/feeling results fast enough. I currently have been working out for a week straight, every SINGLE day and I already feel so much better!!! Feeling better is some motivation in itself. Take progress pictures in the morning before you do anything else! I've taken a progress picture and will continue to do so every two weeks. Seeing the change will hopefully keep me going. My advice to you is to cut out soda and try not to eat past 6pm. I was never a breakfast person but have trained myself to become one.... now by the time lunch rolls around, I don't want to eat everything in sight. Lol. I've been looking online for weight lifting advice to lose weight and it's supposed to be a really big help so I'll be trying that out. Get in contact with other people trying to lose weight and share stories!! Do squats, jump squats, planks, lunges, walking lunges, and don't give up!! I wish you the best on your journey! You can do it!!!! (=
  • ajadexoxo
    Options
    I am also 5'1 and I need to lose another 30 lbs. I work out a lot in the morning and even do what workouts I can at work like squats or tightening my stomache while twisting to grab more items off the shelf, or belt. I have also tried the 3 day military diet and it really worked for me. And as gross as it sounds, drinking apple cidar vinegar really helps too. I switch up my workouts because I get bored fast so I get a lot of my fitness foods and workouts from interest. Feel free to friend me. I'll help if I can!!!
  • omgitsrubyy
    Options
    Hi ajadexoxo, what exercises do you do for core? I try to change up my workouts constantly too so that my muscles don't get used to the exercises. Have you try dead lifting or lifting at all?
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I noticed, other than the Dr. Pepper, you only mentioned work out options. I can tell you I've lost weight through diet alone, and exercise alone. Finally, I'm doing both, and I'd really suggest you take a look at your diet along with any exercise program you may do. It is making a huge difference for me and my wife.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" I only began my weightloss journey which was from 122 to a new 100! Anyway I cut out my 1.5-2 litre a day coke habit 2 years ago, the year before I actually started my journey and somehow for that year I didn't lose even a lb. Neither my husband or I could believe it. All that sugar gone for a year and no result at all, not sure why my eating didn't change but we thought with just the coke gone I would have dropped at least some weight. Doesn't make sense but whatever. Good luck with your journey. Either way I would still ditch the extra sugar, no need for the extra calories. This is hard enough.
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm 5.1 and would really like some friends to join me on my journey. I seem to be finding a lot of people on collosol cals and mine are minimum so its a tad hard to relate. Not that I'm saying its not hard for us all, but it would be nice to be with like minded dieters of small frames and minimum cals

Please please add me
  • charliejenny
    charliejenny Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way speedy....how odd is that??? I'm truly baffled?? What a dissapointment for you
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories burned vs. calories consumed. It really is as simple as that. If you're ok with 150 calories a day being used up by a dr. pepper, no reason to cut it out. I would calculate your TDEE and subtract 20% from that. Just make sure to meet/stay under your carbs/protein/fat macros.
  • brookeburns30
    Options
    I totally agree fasteddy I think that is my issue is that I was not ready to give up some of my eating habits but I understand if I do not make healthier choices I will never obtain my goal .. So I am going to push myself every day so I can see the results I want
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    1. You do not have to eliminate items, unless there is a medical reason for it.
    2. Meal timing is personal preference.
    3. Apple Cider Vinegar does nothing for weight loss.
    4. Sugar is a carb.
    5. Calorie deficit=weight loss
  • kotamonster
    Options
    I am also short, 5'1". I am currently 120-122 lb. I am looking to lose 10-12 pounds. I was always around 105 until I started nursing school. I guess all the sitting around studying, eating bad, stress etc. finally caught up to me, and over the last 4-5 months I gained most of my weight. I don't think I look that bad but it has gotten to the point where my clothes don't fit anymore. Most of my weight goes straight to my hips.. my saddle bags drive me crazy! I have been working out every day for the past week or so and I have begun counting calories. I also cut out fast food and soda which were two main staples in my diet! I am not really sure with how to use this site but if anyone wants to be friends on here I would love to work together on our goals!
  • brookeburns30
    Options
    Hey Brooke! I'm also 5'1 135ish pounds and am trying to cut 15-20 pounds by April... (spring break). I used to work out every OTHER day but wasn't seeing/feeling results fast enough. I currently have been working out for a week straight, every SINGLE day and I already feel so much better!!! Feeling better is some motivation in itself. Take progress pictures in the morning before you do anything else! I've taken a progress picture and will continue to do so every two weeks. Seeing the change will hopefully keep me going. My advice to you is to cut out soda and try not to eat past 6pm. I was never a breakfast person but have trained myself to become one.... now by the time lunch rolls around, I don't want to eat everything in sight. Lol. I've been looking online for weight lifting advice to lose weight and it's supposed to be a really big help so I'll be trying that out. Get in contact with other people trying to lose weight and share stories!! Do squats, jump squats, planks, lunges, walking lunges, and don't give up!! I wish you the best on your journey! You can do it!!!! (=

Thank you for the advice! I am going to work hard!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ~~<<~ 4ft 11
  • AngieZumba
    AngieZumba Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was you 5 years ago. i went from boring workouts to discovering Zumba and dancing my way to my goal weight.

I'm now a Zumba instructor and teach 3 times a week. Advice:

- Exercise 6 x a week; 3 days of cardio, with 3 days of weights (or circuit training)
    - Log EVERYTHING YOU EAT. the best diet for me was THE EAT CLEAN DIET. I plateaued for a few months then switched over to Paleo and within a week i shed 2.5 lbs
    - Drink 12 glasses of water daily.